WWII Remington Rand 1911 A1 Pistol

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
SentientTootsieRoll

WWII Remington Rand 1911 A1 Pistol

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:47 pm

I recently acquired a 1943 Remington Rand 1911 pistol. It is fully original and was used in WWII by a US G.I., likely carried in the Pacific and/or Europe. This is one of those cases where I wish inanimate objects could talk and share their stories because I'd really like to know the story behind it.

When I purchased it, it smelled like an old library book (it still does, to a certain degree, but not as much since I cleaned it with Hoppe's 9). The person who sold it to me said that it was in a widow's attic, who was married to a WWII vet that brought it back from the war. The pistol was covered in dust before it was sold to me. There is some minor rusting on the outside and internally where the magazine goes. I strongly hope it doesn't get worse over time.

The pistol did come with the original magazine, however it was very rusted. I tried loading the .45 ACP ammo in it and couldn't get the seventh round to fit in it. I ultimately decided I wasn't going to use it and decided to store it away as a part of the collection. I went down to a local gun store and purchased a brand new Colt 1911 magazine and it has worked flawlessly! I first went to Sportsman's Warehouse (a large sporting goods chain) and they tried to sell me Kimber branded magazines. Being somewhat of a purist, I wanted to purchase something as close to the "real thing" as possible. Since Colt was also contracted to produce 1911's during WWII, I decided I wanted one of their magazines to go with it. Luckily, Colt still produces 1911 pistols and accessories to this day.

Based on my research, Colt was the first company contracted to produce the 1911 pistols in the early 1910's for the US government, but they actually fell behind in production numbers during WWII. Remington Rand produced considerably more during that time. Remington also produces a 1911 to this day, but with so many things being outsourced to underdeveloped countries, I don't know how much of it is truly American made. But it just feels nice to shoot an all American piece that likely has a storied history behind it.

It's a fantastic pistol! I put 50 rounds of American Eagle .45 ACP 230 grain ammo through it so far. I'm amazed at how accurate and easy to shoot it is! In comparison, my Glock 23 (chambered in .40 S&W) requires a little more practice if you've never fired it before. But it is just a collector gun with all the original parts from 1943 and I plan to shoot it very seldomly, keep it clean, lubricated and stored in a gun sock when it's not being used. As a part of my small WWII collection, I have it stored next to an unopened circa 1944 or 1945 K Ration in my gun safe. I'm 23 years old and I hope it outlives me!
Attachments
20190813_1756072.jpg
If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're bound to repeat them for the first time.

Dekard

Re: WWII Remington Rand 1911 A1 Pistol

Post by Dekard » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:36 am

Nice! thanks for sharing . : )

Sirenemarie83

Post by Sirenemarie83 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:12 am

Real nice.
And yeah. Sometimes I too wish that some objects could talk, it would be interesting to hear events from the viewpoint of the equipment etc.
But this is the real world, and not an anime, so...

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Damn!!... nice grab👍
"Little ducks, there's trouble in Russia, so they called us"
Video Reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfB4TN ... bNi1TwQF5w

Edward1987
eBay name: Sabriwoodc

Post by Edward1987 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:19 pm

Damn I wish I lived in the USA sometimes! :shock: 👌🏻

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:49 pm

I'd put it on your bucket list to take a trip here and try it sometime! There are gun laws, so it would be best if you knew someone here that owned guns that could take you somewhere to do so some shooting outdoors. Otherwise, there are plenty of indoor/established ranges that may allow you rent and try their firearms. I'd do it sooner rather than later because I believe our gun rights will be taken away (repealing of the 2nd amendment) within the next 50 years. I could go on further about that but I won't. For now, I'm enjoying it while I still can.

Here's a more photogenic picture I took with some 1944 .45 ACP ammo I picked up from a gun show recently:
20190929_141832.jpg
Purchasing a Luger P08 is next on my list, however they're not cheap so it will likely have to wait for a while especially since I've got other financial priorities.
If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're bound to repeat them for the first time.