Page 2 of 3

Re: British ORPs tips?

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:23 am
by wats6831
I just figured that batch was stored down by the docks....... :lol:

Re: British ORPs tips?

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:47 pm
by PotterRat
Might be worth asking synthpeter, as he also has a box with PD0516.
I've not noticed anything odd myself, but mine are PD0716.

I'm now going to go sniff some of my boxes.
God knows how I'm going to explain that behaviour to the wife.
She already thinks I'm mad!! :D

Re: British ORPs tips?

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:20 pm
by Synthpeter
I haven't noticed any weird smell or substances on or inside the cases or any of the rations so far.
I've opened both the A and B cases and I've had menus 1, 2, and 3, but encountered nothing funky, acidic or sticky as far as I can remember.
Both are 0516 cases from mother*katie on ebay.
Maybe you've just had rats pissing on yours? :)

Re: British ORPs tips?

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:25 pm
by PotterRat
Synthpeter wrote:Maybe you've just had rats pissing on yours? :)
How dare they... God Save the Queen! :D :D :D :D

Re: British ORPs tips?

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:35 pm
by sourwes
I've had several ORP rats dated 2016 and not encountered the issues stated. But maybe is the pest deterrent chemical added to the packaging materials, like the chems in the MRE cases?

Re: British ORPs tips?

Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:44 am
by currahee
Synthpeter wrote:...
Maybe you've just had rats pissing on yours? :)
Dont know if rats, but it is a British ration bought from Poland, so there could be a few other possible culprits to piss in my rations! :evil: :mrgreen:

But you know, it is what it is :lol:

Re: British ORPs tips?

Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:43 am
by wats6831
currahee wrote:
Synthpeter wrote:...
Maybe you've just had rats pissing on yours? :)
Dont know if rats, but it is a British ration bought from Poland, so there could be a few other possible culprits to piss in my rations! :evil: :mrgreen:

But you know, it is what it is :lol:
It's not a Polish thing. Mine came from UK and smelled the same. It's not a urine smell, it's just like a faint fishy or vinegar smell. it's not even off putting really.

Re: British ORPs tips?

Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:37 pm
by currahee
wats6831 wrote:It's not a Polish thing. Mine came from UK and smelled the same. It's not a urine smell, it's just like a faint fishy or vinegar smell. it's not even off putting really.
I know it has nothing to do with Poland.

Well I think some components and I suspect the drinks with silver packings were for some reason contaminated from outside with something smelling like vinegar. It has to be some special "case" because only we have noticed something odd. But I won't open each pack and smell every silver drink mix pack. Nothing will save those rations from being eaten! :D

Re: British ORPs tips?

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:42 pm
by Drew78
I had 2 full cases of 5/16 pack dates and none smelled fishy or like vinegar...One other possible culprit could be the tape...those thin clear orp tape could have that weird paint thinner/ plastic type aroma..

Re: British ORPs tips?

Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:19 pm
by wats6831
Drew78 wrote:I had 2 full cases of 5/16 pack dates and none smelled fishy or like vinegar...One other possible culprit could be the tape...those thin clear orp tape could have that weird paint thinner/ plastic type aroma..
The 10/2016 cases I just got had the same fish smell. It doesn't seem chemical to me. It's like fish oil or something.