Best stoves out there

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
User avatar
alohakid
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:39 am
eBay name: admirals72
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Best stoves out there

Postby alohakid » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:37 am

norge wrote:4.png

3.png

009.jpg
bacup and ligth hiking


norge - The background on your 3rd pic, is that a lake?... appears to be a beautiful place to hike/camp... may I ask the location?

mahalo

User avatar
alohakid
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:39 am
eBay name: admirals72
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Best stoves out there

Postby alohakid » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:49 am

sourwes wrote:
Apocalypse wrote:
sourwes wrote:... I bought this cheap firebox imitation on eBay for $8 shipped....


Any chance of a link to this item, or name of the seller/store?


Seller doesn't have same stove, is a little different and $1.50 more. Is eBay item #152384936810. Sorry, didn't know how to do a direct link. But there are lots of other sellers with similar items and similar prices. The stove works really well, but will probably only last 1 season of use


Pretty cool little stove... here's an eBay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Folding-Woo ... SwZQRYbv~G

mahalo

norge
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:57 pm

Re: Best stoves out there

Postby norge » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:16 pm

alohakid: yes its a big lake and it is in north of norway :D

User avatar
alohakid
Posts: 524
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 8:39 am
eBay name: admirals72
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Best stoves out there

Postby alohakid » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:14 am

norge wrote:alohakid: yes its a big lake and it is in north of norway :D


noege - You're sooooooooooooo lucky... just a beautiful location.

mahalo

User avatar
fatoutdoors
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Best stoves out there

Postby fatoutdoors » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Forgot that I took a look at this little gem. Again stuck with cans.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=ct6KrfDbe1w

mame91995
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:46 am
Location: Zwolle ,OV, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Best stoves out there

Postby mame91995 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:07 am

My favorite: The Jetboil, heats water very quick, and you can cook on it too.

the down(or financial) side: 100gr gas canisters are about €5-6
the stove itself was €100
the support for a pan was €10

100 grams of gas is enough for 12 liters of water, and you can do around 500ml at a time
Nature knows no errors. (however, Wasps and mosquito's are very close to it)

User avatar
Treesuit
Posts: 1529
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:17 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Best stoves out there

Postby Treesuit » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:07 pm

mame91995

I agree with you that the Jetboil is absolutely the near perfect stove out there for backpacking and camping. I still have the original Jetboil that I bought back in 2005, it was the first run version and its still holding up, even after two overseas deployments. I admit they can be pricey and the canisters are expensive but I guess I'm paying for the durability above all else.

For everybody out there I found a excellent topic on stoves from the past that the US military has used since WWII. I found it over on the US militaria forum website yesterday. I'll post the link so you can see the discussion. Great reading if you want to look at the evolution of stoves, plus check out the other topics.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/233645-if-you-cant-take-the-heat-then-stay-away-from-these-stoves-and-ration-heaters/

User avatar
parafireboy
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:24 pm
eBay name: parafireboy
Location: Montana

Re: Best stoves out there

Postby parafireboy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:58 am

I have a Jetboil as well, and use it a lot. While not a military-issue stove, I love the versatility of it. It's self-contained (so long as you're using the smaller fuel canister), and can boil water or be used to heat mess gear. It boils water quickly, so when using it to heat a retort pouch, it doesn't take much fuel to boil the water, then just let the pouch sit in the hot water. You can always fire it up for another minute to heat up the water again. The fuel goes a long way using this method. Mine has seen heavy use for about five years now with no issues whatsoever.

IMG_1728.JPG

sourwes
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:13 pm
eBay name: sourwes
Location: West Virginia

Re: Best stoves out there

Postby sourwes » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:18 pm

parafireboy wrote:I have a Jetboil as well, and use it a lot. While not a military-issue stove, I love the versatility of it. It's self-contained (so long as you're using the smaller fuel canister), and can boil water or be used to heat mess gear. It boils water quickly, so when using it to heat a retort pouch, it doesn't take much fuel to boil the water, then just let the pouch sit in the hot water. You can always fire it up for another minute to heat up the water again. The fuel goes a long way using this method. Mine has seen heavy use for about five years now with no issues whatsoever.

Thanks to parafireboy advice, have recently purchased a jet boil. Being a stingy sort, I try to be frugal here on the farm. But the jetboil heats my retort pouch entrees in minutes and allows my lunches here on the farm to be spent admiring the scenery, not the cooking pot.... :D
it is what it is....

User avatar
parafireboy
Posts: 1011
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:24 pm
eBay name: parafireboy
Location: Montana

Re: Best stoves out there

Postby parafireboy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:20 am

sourwes wrote:Thanks to parafireboy advice, have recently purchased a jet boil. Being a stingy sort, I try to be frugal here on the farm. But the jetboil heats my retort pouch entrees in minutes and allows my lunches here on the farm to be spent admiring the scenery, not the cooking pot.... :D


Very cool, sourwes! I hope you like it as much as I like mine. :)


Return to “MRE Tips & Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest