Best stoves out there

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
wats6831
eBay name: MREmountain

Re: Best stoves out there

Postby wats6831 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:01 pm

best esbit

or if you prefer esbit with alcohol capability

fatoutdoors

Postby fatoutdoors » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:44 pm

My go to stove is a Gen1 MSR international. Bit bulkier than esbit and the butane/propane pocket rockets. But its like having a stand alone kitchen burner at your disposal. And it can burn any liquid that is flammable enough with a relatively simple nipple change.

Esbit. Small, good heat, wind can be an issue.
Alcohol (soda can) stove, small, good heat, wind is a major issue. There is a reason all those youtube videos of these don't include wind tests.
Pocket rocket (butane/propane) small, often amazing heat, Wind can be an issue depending on design, fuel cans are annoying.
Multi-fuel (like my MSR) Larger, more parts to maintain, usually refillable, often good against wind.. again design matters.

But then again I own a bunch of different stoves just to try them out.

jeepmang 3333

Postby jeepmang 3333 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:44 am

While on this subject which seemed relevant, any containers that fit the entree pouches almost perfectly? Watching a review on night I saw one that almost looked similar to a metal loaf pan where two or three entrees fit perfect with out using to much water as we all know the FRH sometimes are not up to the task even though they maybe extremely convenient lukewarm isn't always best or should I just pick up some of the aftermarket min spec heaters (recommendations always welcome as I am a complete nOObie regarding this stuff).

Thanks,

sparkingdogg
eBay name: sparkingdogg

Postby sparkingdogg » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:32 pm

The ~$6 DPower stove is the best bang-for-the-buck. Canisters of fuel can be found at Walmart. It's fast, cheap, and light. I also like the Trangia alcohol stoves. Pocket Rocket is good. I have quite a few stoves.

IMG_5689.JPG
I love the smell of 2 stroke oil and MRE coffee in the morning!

sparkingdogg

Postby sparkingdogg » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 pm

jeepmang 3333 wrote:While on this subject which seemed relevant, any containers that fit the entree pouches almost perfectly? Watching a review on night I saw one that almost looked similar to a metal loaf pan where two or three entrees fit perfect with out using to much water as we all know the FRH sometimes are not up to the task even though they maybe extremely convenient lukewarm isn't always best or should I just pick up some of the aftermarket min spec heaters (recommendations always welcome as I am a complete nOObie regarding this stuff).

Thanks,

Stanley Adventure small cook set fits 2 main MRE pouches and a packet of cheese etc great and uses little water. Paid about $15 for mine at Walmart. You can use the water for your coffee when the food is hot.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/16784406?wml ... 3=&veh=sem

jeepmang 3333

Postby jeepmang 3333 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:15 pm

sparkingdogg wrote:
jeepmang 3333 wrote:While on this subject which seemed relevant, any containers that fit the entree pouches almost perfectly? Watching a review on night I saw one that almost looked similar to a metal loaf pan where two or three entrees fit perfect with out using to much water as we all know the FRH sometimes are not up to the task even though they maybe extremely convenient lukewarm isn't always best or should I just pick up some of the aftermarket min spec heaters (recommendations always welcome as I am a complete nOObie regarding this stuff).

Thanks,

Stanley Adventure small cook set fits 2 main MRE pouches and a packet of cheese etc great and uses little water. Paid about $15 for mine at Walmart. You can use the water for your coffee when the food is hot.

Bookmarked!! Thanks I'll check one this week!

sparkingdogg

Postby sparkingdogg » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:41 pm

jeepmang 3333 wrote:
sparkingdogg wrote:

Thanks,

Bookmarked!! Thanks I'll check one this week!

Welcome. If you check Walmart's outdoor aisle, you can pick it up and feel it before buying. The lid is most useful for making coffee water. Boils much faster with a lid. It's a good sturdy small pot. I have heated many MRE's in mine. I personally don't care for the FRH unless I actually need it. Hot food and coffee is better than luke warm food and coffee!

I don't know if it has been discussed here before, but care should be taken regarding dwell time of the MRE in boiling water. In some instances it can release BPA and other unwanted compounds from the container to the food. For instance, modern cans are BPA lined. It is no longer safe to cook a can of beans on an open camp fire, as it will certainly release toxic things into the food.

With an MRE, I am careful to not overheat, and to not let the heat get excessive. I'm not saying it works, just saying we should be careful heating any type of food containers these days.

wats6831
eBay name: MREmountain

Postby wats6831 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:40 am

sparkingdogg wrote:

Thanks,

I can vouch for these also. Awesome little pots. Wife and I each have a set in our bags. Also check out glacier cups if you need something smaller and lighter.

sparkingdogg

Postby sparkingdogg » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:04 pm

wats6831 wrote:
sparkingdogg wrote:

Thanks,

I can vouch for these also. Awesome little pots. Wife and I each have a set in our bags. Also check out glacier cups if you need something smaller and lighter.

The Stanley pot lid also fits the Glacier cup perfectly. I have a cup stand too, for burning twigs. It all nests and fits in a molle bag. Will try and post pics later. It's a neat little system.

fatoutdoors

Postby fatoutdoors » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:28 pm

Not the "Best" out there but easy to get and relatively cheap. Have to fight fuel cans but for a go stove its not bad. Not on the ultra light side and you can't burn other fuels but the fuel cans are shelf stable for a long long time and come in a wide variety of sizes.

Return to “MRE Tips & Tricks”