How to use a HEXAMINE cooker....

Post your favorite tips, tricks, recipes.
SaTrinxa

Post by SaTrinxa » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:28 pm

Keep your tea-bag - that will take the black stuff off easy enough.

Later hexi-stoves came with an adaptor so the cup was held correctly on the stove.

housil

Post by housil » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:05 am

SaTrinxa wrote:Keep your tea-bag - that will take the black stuff off easy enough.
Nice idea :D but doesn´t work with resolvable tea/coffee we have in our Bundeswehr-rations. There is no tea bag... :cry:

Wookard

Post by Wookard » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:19 am

I am unsure if this would work, but could you get another peice of tin or another type of metal and put that over the stove to take the brunt of the stain? Or would this screw with the flame?

I have one and a ton of Trioxane tabs. I haven't used either and keep reading about the terrible stains =(

housil

Post by housil » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:01 am

If it is early in the morning, I also "rub" the canteen cup over the "wet" gras (from fog/mist) to wipe it away. (As a "first aid")

Me and Mrs. Housil having a snack while "walking the dog" :wink:

On my last winter hike

Taking a rest in an "confiscated" *lol* barn "somewhere"

Wookard

Post by Wookard » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Thanks for the tip. That should work very well as it would absorb most of the chemicals into the water =)

bondiboy66

Post by bondiboy66 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:04 am

I never cleaned the bottom of my 'cups canteen steel' figuring the black colour would help with heat absorbtion rather than a shiny bottom reflecting the heat, in theory making heating up of stuff easier...
This message has been transmitted using recycled electrons. Go Green and save the planet!

housil

Post by housil » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:47 am

bondiboy66 wrote: (...)
in theory making heating up of stuff easier...
...and in practice will make your drill sergant yelling at you :D (just kidding)

I remove it because the "black stuff" is very sticky, will "glue" to fingers/hands, will also "glue" inside to the canteen cover, will "glue" to everything...

I don´t know if this happens with the ESBIT only?

bondiboy66

Post by bondiboy66 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:03 am

Naaah - not when I was the Platoon Sergeant! I found it became more crusty and dry. Besides, this was on bush gear, not barracks gear.
This message has been transmitted using recycled electrons. Go Green and save the planet!

norge

Post by norge » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:57 am

you can also wrap the cup with tin foil or alu foil
in the bottom than it would not gett sticky.
i have tryed this and it works :D
cheers norge

Cracker
eBay name: tedtielemans

Re: How to use a HEXAMINE cooker....

Post by Cracker » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:28 pm

GermanEPA.. If you think this is bad, I saw one of my colleagues trying to USE it that way.. :|
It kept burning.. but because of the low oxygen supply, it will burn slow and it won't heat enough..

Sort off offtopic:

Esbit is the same is "Hexamine", but esbit is a registered trademark, most militaries use brandless "hexamine" ;)

The tar like substance on the heated object was a reason to dump esbit burners for me..
I used to buy Swiss "Notkocher 71" burners.. simply cans with alcoholjelly.. you can heat about 6-8 meals with them before dumping them, selling for around €10 per 4 at european militaria markets ($ 14 at the moment)

There are many sorts of alcoholjelly burners, all are canned. They don't leave any residu on the heated objects, and they only emit a little light (alcohol burns with a small blue flame)

PS: We found out that Bullit energy drink (i recon all brands will do) is like somesort of a tellsell like cleaner.
Put it on when the object has cooled, leave it for a minute.. and you could whipe the residu right off..

It's probably because of the high dosis on acids in the energydrink..
Sure, someone may one day kill me with my own gun.
But they'll have to beat me to death with it because it's empty.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.