Current Brazilian Army ration

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Bypah

Re: Current Brazilian Army ration

Post by Bypah » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:04 pm

Other way the cassava /yuca is eaten is in bread or "pan de casabe" .It was originally made by the taíno indians of the Caribbean.
Is mostly eaten all over the Caribbean and Venezuela.
Is simple....take the yuca, peel it and then grate it. Once grated make sure to squeeze all the liquid of the grated cassava. THIS LIQUID IS TOXIC IF INGESTED!! :shock: BUT...if you let that liquid dry it turn into a powdered starch which is good mixed with water to use as a ironing starch. :wink:

Once the grated yuca has been squeezed you simply put it in a flat pan and put it in a hot skillet for several minutes until brown on both sides like a pancake. If not put it in a pan in the oven @ 325 for several minutes until done.
You will have a flat bread crispy and it lasts for a while. :mrgreen:
tema-25casabe-sm.jpg
It was originally made by the Taínos. the grew the yuca, grated it ,squeezed its juice in a "bucán" and then cooked it in the flat hot stone or "burén".
imagesCAEI7I7Z.jpg
imagesCAEI7I7Z.jpg (12.7 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
haciendo casabe.jpg
casabe-produccion.jpg
pan de casabe.jpg
casabe.jpg
Last edited by Bypah on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live long and prosper..."

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks Bypah and donald! Actually it looks pretty good, but I could feel my A1c going up as I drooled over the pics! :( :oops:

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:14 pm

rationtin440 wrote:Thanks Bypah and donald! Actually it looks pretty good, but I could feel my A1c going up as I drooled over the pics! :( :oops:
Actually the casabe bread doesn't spike the sugar like the regular bread. :mrgreen:
"Live long and prosper..."

Post by WWW » Sun May 15, 2016 6:54 pm

I think that this thread is already packed with great info, so I don't know if this will be of any use. I was translating this, but never got to finish it. Is quite repetitive and most of the info has been presented here. I've been meaning to put one together but never got around doing so.

https://www.mediafire.com/?buzncg6nb7g3x2z
Attachments
racao_pequena4.jpg
racao_pequena4.jpg (75.03 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
20120710091734.jpg

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun May 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Thanks for the PDF, WWW - good stuff! I'm reposting it here directly to the forums in case it ever disappears from MediaFire.

BrazilianCombatOperationalRations.pdf