South African ration

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
ToxicCarbon

Re: South African ration

Post by ToxicCarbon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:33 am

I remember my dad used to bring us kids rat packs every time he finished up a border tour. In those days military service was compulsory and after their initial 2 years service at 18 they were called up to camps every two years. It was great for us kids because we got rat packs, silk parachutes from high altitude flares and any badges my dad used to get every time he went away. Good memories. I still remember the energy bars. The mint was my favourite. :D

rationtin440

Re: South African ration

Post by rationtin440 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:36 pm

My apologies if this should be in another subject, but one interesting thing I noticed about the SANDF rationpacks is the diabetic ratpacks. In the U.S. armed forces, Type 2 Diabetes and insulin-dependant Diabetes are usually dis-qualifiers for military service, especially in any job involving air-crew. The SANDF seems to be willing to compensate for this medical issue among it's members, but I'm not sure if the individuals can only stay in the SANDF if the condition is diagnosed after they enlisted. Here in the U.S. it usually means the end of a military career no matter which diabetes type the soldier has. I'm curious if other nations represented in the forums make similar concessions for their troops.