East German Rations

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
rationtin440

Re: East German Rations

Post by rationtin440 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:41 pm

Thanks for the correction biscuits, and a friend of mine who does WW2 re-enactments told me that the Japanese, Russians and Germans issued them as well yes? I tend to get confused at times, :oops: :cry: Presently though (2010), I'm not sure if any country issues them with their field rations.

biscuits brown

Post by biscuits brown » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:24 pm

No probs Rt! Always a pleasure my friend

american lockpicker

Post by american lockpicker » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:02 pm

Stef wrote:well the problem with this one : I can't imagine the young lady who rolls it onto her thigh :cry:
What brand does that?

Stef

Post by Stef » Tue May 21, 2013 3:50 am

A brand you can't buy *legaly* where you live I fear :lol:

In France we had cigarettes in every ration pack + a few packs every month issued to every soldier (even to those who didn't smoke) until the late 80's and the RCIR. Of course, refusing the cigarette ration because you don't smoke was a good reason for being bashed by the rest of the platoon :wink:
In principio erat spamum

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:41 am

Interesting you mentioning someone who refused cigs being bashed by the rest of the platoon, that reminds me of my cousin who served at a Troposcatter comms site in Vietnam: on the rare occasions when they had to eat MCIs, he would trade his cigarettes for other items since he was not a smoker. Amazing what other MCI stuff he could get when other guys ran out of cigs and got desperate.

Stef

Post by Stef » Wed May 22, 2013 4:22 am

hahaha, that was everywhere the same :lol: I could have all the corned beef I wanted (the others never ate it but I LOVE that stuff!) and used to give the cigarettes to my friends but I know a guy was bought a big diamond ring to his fiancee with all the money he made on the sigs in just one year!
In principio erat spamum

Nawt

Post by Nawt » Wed May 22, 2013 3:47 pm

rationtin440 wrote:Speaking of cigars and cigarettes, unless I'm mistaken the United States was the only nation to issue cigarettes as a standard ration component in the WW2 rations and in the Vietnam era MCIs.
Hi, it is a little off topic, but dealing with the 'ciggies'. I'm quite sure the Dutch did too during some period.
I'll try to prove it with a picture of the case, it should be around. It is mentioned eather on the case or in the 'contents list'.
(Mind ya, it might take a few days before I get to it.)

8)

Nawt

Post by Nawt » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:55 pm

Well, here it is :oops: .

As I was looking for the MCW's I finally came across a few cigarettes. The cases should be somewhere too that they were issued in, but that's for later. I have a few loose packs and these are from July 1st 1961.
Dutch ciggies 1961.jpg
The 'paper' is specially designed for cigarettes since it breathes and keeps m at a certain humidity I guess. But only for a certain period I'd say.
Both sides have the same 'continuïng' printing.

Nawt

Post by Nawt » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:02 pm

:oops: I just realised that the name of the file is wrong. The cigarettes are US, just as it reads on the package but I named it Dutch, sorry guy's! :oops: No offence. :wink: