Russian 24 Hour Ration Menu 1 - Ongoing thread

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
jmcdaniel0

Re: Russian 24 Hour Ration Menu 1 - Ongoing thread

Post by jmcdaniel0 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Rahzmataz wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:50 am
jmcdaniel0 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:22 pm
I really enjoyed that dish as well. It was very filling and it was feel good food for sure.
That's the thing that really can't be underestimated - The feel good factor of this food. Guys eating this are in fairly rough situations sometimes, good food is huge for morale.
I couldn’t agree more! No one I know has looked forward to a like warm MRE’s.

Rahzmataz

Post by Rahzmataz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:33 am

Okay, time to stop being lazy, and post about dinner! I went with the last main (Beef stew), Vegetable Caviar, and a pack of crackers.
IMG_20180617_164659r.jpg
Popping open the main, it actually looked surprisingly decent. Nice sized bits of beef, pleasant smell. I gave it a quick stir and threw it on the stove.
IMG_20180617_164746r.jpg
The smell while this was cooking was pretty damn great. Savoury and homely. I was pretty hungry while I was heating this up, so that may have contributed. It looked like decent beef too.
IMG_20180617_165210r.jpg
While this was heating up, I decided to check out the Vegetable caviar. It was essentially a very smooth veggie puree. I'm terrible for picking out flavours, but I noticed a really nice smoky tomato. I tried a little of this on crackers, and it was a really nice addition.
IMG_20180617_165419.jpg
When the stew was good and heated, I grabbed it off the stove and gave it a try, and honestly it was delicious. The beef didn't have a processed texture to it, but was very succulent, which is really nice. It generally felt like a high quality MRE.
IMG_20180617_171022.jpg
At this point I decided the clear answer was to mix all 3 elements together. I broke up the crackers and threw them into the stew, along with the veggie caviar. I have absolutely no qualms with stating right now that this was the best thing i'd ever eaten out of a ration, by a fair way. It was a well seasoned, complex flavour. The crackers added a nice crunch to go with it. Honestly, I cannot recommend this enough.
IMG_20180617_171046.jpg
So yeah, dinner was pretty damn good. If I remember, i'll write up the rest at the weekend, there's only a couple of other bits left.

Thanks for reading folks!
Tried - British 24hr ORP, Polish S-RG-5, Russian 24hr Ration
Currently eating - French RCIR

Rahzmataz

Post by Rahzmataz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Okay so this thread kinda got left in the dust, but that's okay, because i'm back to finish it up!

I only had a couple of bits left, so I decided to get through them and see what I thought. I guess this was essentially a dessert.

I decided to have the last pack of Crackers with the Apple Butter
IMG_20180626_132141.jpg
IMG_20180626_132250.jpg
I was expecting it to be a little lighter in colour, but it smelled fairly sweet so I put n my brave face and took a bite...

...And it was DELICIOUS. Lightly sweet, really nice apple flavour, not too sharp. It went really, REALLY well with the crackers. I went through the whole packet of it pretty fast. I honestly really enjoyed this.

The very last piece of the ration I ate, however, was kind of a downer. It was the Prune and Nut bar. I'm pretty sure it's only there to keep you regular.
IMG_20180626_133030.jpg
I'm always a little weirded out by overly shiny food like this, but I went for it all the same, and honestly... It's not for me. I'm not a big fan of prunes, and it had a really odd texture.
IMG_20180626_133058.jpg
A slightly disappointing end, but that didn't detract from what was an excellent ration. Time for a little wrap-up!

The Good:
The mains were all pretty good, but the Beef Stew with the Vegetable Caviar was exceptional. I could eat a LOT more of that.
I love cheese, so that on crackers was a big winner in my book.
The smell of that berry drink mix was so damn good it's getting a mention here!
The resealable bag has gone in my car with some ration spares in it for emergencies.
Decently sturdy cutlery, always a plus.

The Bad:
That prune and nut bar wasn't my thing atall. Shame, really.
The breakfast isn't the easiest thing to stir, I think that was mostly my fault though.
I'm not a big fan of the stove in this one, it was a little too wobbly. Still, it did the job!

That's about it, really. Overall, I really enjoyed this ration. Tasty food, well packaged, nice mix of stuff. I'd put it above the S-RG-5, and around the same level as the British ORP. Thanks for reading, and if anyone has any questions i'll answer them!

michel2827
eBay name: onkelcarsten

Post by michel2827 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks for the whole review. Everything was very informative. Thats a good reference review for when i will do a review of a russian ration
tried German EPA, British ORP, French RCIR, US MRE, UN 24hour, Dutch 24hour modul, Russian White Star ration
Want to try scandinavian, russian, canadian and other rations

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Delicious wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:26 am
In case of these Russian porridges it is a good idea to add a bit water after "mixing" (or rather cutting) it. It helps prevent sticking to the bottom
Good idea! I'll have to try that, as I find that I have the same problem with some of it getting burnt on the bottom.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:06 pm

Great review and photos! :) I went into my first Russian ration several years ago with a little skepticism, but they quickly became one of my favorite rations.

Rahzmataz

Post by Rahzmataz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:28 am

Thanks guys! The photos came off my phone as I don't have a decent camera, they seem alright though.

This ration was a really good one, honestly I kind of wish I could buy that vegetable caviar. I'd put it on everything :D