2015 Canadian IMP Menu# 19: Chipotle Chicken Carbonara

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

2015 Canadian IMP Menu# 19: Chipotle Chicken Carbonara

Postby BTemple » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:08 am

Hey everybody!
Been a while since I've done a written review on here, but I really wanted to try this ration for dinner but didn't have time to film a full review. Haha

I managed to snag this IMP from Drew78. He's an awesome guy and I'd certainly recommend doing businesswith him!

Here we have it all laid out. It doesn't seem like a huge amount of stuff but what we do have sounds very good.
We've got the Chipotle Chicken Carbonara main entree, cornbread, blueberry applesauce, a Coffee Crisp bar, Ice flavoured beverage powder, peanut butter and strawberry jam. Not pictured is all the other extras, like the beverage bag, coffee, whitener, sugar, hot sauce and whatnot. I didn't use any of that stuff, especially since I don't drink coffee.

Instead of heating the main in boiling water I decided to put it in a Pyrex bowl and microwave it.... bad decision on my part. After 1:30 had passed the thing blew up and I lost about a quarter of the chicken and sauce on the entire inside of the microwave. Haha Fun times.
The entree itself was fantastic! The chicken (what was left of it) was a tad bit dry, but there was a lot of it. The sauce was very fragrant. It smelled very much like queso sauce. I know Carbonara sauce is supposed to have bacon in it but I couldn't really pick it up or see any. Mostly what I could discern was cream and chipotle seasoning, which is not a complaint at all. The remaining sauce would have went well with some rice or even mashed potatoes.

This was the first time I had seen cornbread in an IMP. It was made by the Wornick company and was packed just like MRE cornbread, aside from the tan packaging. It seemed amazingly fresh... and dare I say it, it was more moist and tasty than it's MRE counterpart. There was a good corn flavour and you could feel just the slightest grit from the cornmeal.

The Ice flavoured beverage powder was great as usual, nice blue raspberry flavour. Too bad they only include one drink mix now instead of two.

The blueberry applesauce was as good as it always is. Nice consistenc. It wasn't too sweet and had a pleasant blueberry flavour that seemed more natural than artificial.

The Coffee Crisp bar was slightly bloomed, which is to be expected of a commercially packaged chocolate bar that's at least 2 years old. This didn't detract from the taste though. Slightest hint of coffee flavour, which is normal and the wafer sections were nice and crisp.

Lastly..... we were given peanut butter and strawberry jam but there was absolutely nothing to put it on... which seemed fairly odd. I'll save it for some crackers later.

All in all this was a great ration. I'd say maybe my 2nd favourite IMP I've ever had aside from the Lamb and Vegetable Stew.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a good one!
Attachments
2017-07-10 11.22.56.jpg
20170710_113539.jpg
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Re: 2015 Canadian IMP Menu# 19: Chipotle Chicken Carbonara

Postby alohakid » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:03 pm

Very nice, thanks for the share!

mahalo

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Postby parafireboy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Great review, thanks for sharing! :D

sourwes
eBay name: sourwes

Postby sourwes » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:28 pm

Very nice review, thanks for sharing!
it is what it is....

BTemple

Postby BTemple » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:20 pm

alohakid wrote:Very nice, thanks for the share!

mahalo

Thanks! This was my first 2015 IMP, I've only ever had 2013's and 2014's before this. Nice to get a chocolate bar in an IMP that isn't gone bad yet. Haha
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

BTemple

Postby BTemple » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:20 pm

parafireboy wrote:Great review, thanks for sharing! :D

Thanks for giving it a look. I hadn't tried out an IMP in a long time. I've only got one left in the collection now

BTemple

Postby BTemple » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:21 pm

sourwes wrote:Very nice review, thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Nice to do a written review sometimes instead of the video ones for YouTube.

alohakid

Postby alohakid » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:56 am

BTemple wrote:

Thanks for giving it a look. I hadn't tried out an IMP in a long time. I've only got one left in the collection now

BTemple - Like yourself, I also have one in collection (Canada IMP #8 - Smoke Meat)... been wanting to try a breakfast IMP with no luck finding it (Canadian IMP Breaksfast #1 - Sausage and Hashbrown)... are IMP becoming harder to locate these days?... very few available on eBay.

mahalo

BTemple

Postby BTemple » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 am

alohakid wrote:
BTemple wrote:

BTemple - Like yourself, I also have one in collection (Canada IMP #8 - Smoke Meat)... been wanting to try a breakfast IMP with no luck finding it (Canadian IMP Breaksfast #1 - Sausage and Hashbrown)... are IMP becoming harder to locate these days?... very few available on eBay.

mahalo

Yeah they're not easy to find, and usually they are very expensive. The Canadian government must keep a tight leash on what is allowed to be sold as surplus. I live in Canada and I've never actually seen one for sale in a hunting or camping supplies store before. Or an army/navy surplus shop.

Make sure to REALLY stir the mashed potatoes in that Smoked Meat IMP. It can get a lot of dry powder left in the corners

alohakid

Postby alohakid » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:24 am

BTemple wrote:
alohakid wrote:
BTemple wrote:

mahalo

Yeah they're not easy to find, and usually they are very expensive. The Canadian government must keep a tight leash on what is allowed to be sold as surplus. I live in Canada and I've never actually seen one for sale in a hunting or camping supplies store before. Or an army/navy surplus shop.

Make sure to REALLY stir the mashed potatoes in that Smoked Meat IMP. It can get a lot of dry powder left in the corners

Roger that!

Return to “International Ration Reviews”