Aussie CR1M Menu E

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
oktoberskyline

Aussie CR1M Menu E

Postby oktoberskyline » Wed May 24, 2017 1:14 pm

This was definitely on the top of my list of meals to get my hands on after watching Steve1989's youtube review of it a few months back, and thankfully I was able to find one from Blackdogbob. But to get it here was a bit of a hassle, with the first shipment getting lost in the mail somewhere, Bob stepped up and quick sent off a second package (production date of October 2016) while on the road. But, enough about that, time to talk food.

The Australian CR1M was actually smaller then I thought it would be based off of the video, but maybe that's because this one was a new production with thermo-stabalized packs verses the older all can version Steve had. None the less, it does have a decent weight, and does pack a fair bit of food in it, here is the contents that I had:

Lamb and Tomato Sambal
Sweet and Sour Chicken
Creamy Chicken Soup
Mi Goreng Noodles
Freeze Dried Rice
Natural Mussli w/ fruit and seeds
Tuna (Lime and Black Pepper Flavored)
can of cheese
can of fruit cocktail
Bread
Fruit Cake
Cereal Bar, Appricot
commercially labeled Jack Links Peppered Steak Bar
tube of Yeast Extract
tube of Jam, Plum flavored
tube of Sweetened Condensed Milk
Chocolate Bar
M&M's
Lifesavers (Musk Flavored)
Chocolate Drink Mix
Blue Lemonade drink powder
CR1M information Packet

And then there was the Accessory pack, this deserves its own list. It came in a separate reusable ziploc bag and held the following:
2 Tea
2 Coffee
1 ketchup
1 Tabasco sauce
1 non-dairy creamer 15g
2 packs peppermint gum
1 Salt 2g
1 Pepper 2g
4 Sugar 7g
1 pre-soaped sponge
1 spoon
1 tube matches (4 wind proof & 10 regular)
3 rubberbands
and the wonderful hand can opener/spoon/screwdriver/pry bar

So, before I get into everything, I will mention that I haven't eaten the bread, tuna, or jam (see my post on French RCIR 5, I don't like plum). I've also saved most of the accessory pack for when I do Search and Rescue or hiking, as those items come in handy when in the field.

Now, the first meal that I mashed together from this pile of food was the combo of Mi Goreng Noodles, cheese, and sweet and sour chicken. This combination seemed like a proper thing to do, and turned out pretty darn good. I ate some of the cheese, which i opened with the P-38 on roids, while I waited on the water to boil for the noodles I used two of the three sauces that came with the noodles to flavor them and try them apart from everything else, there was a soy like sauce and some crunch fish onion powder, but then there was like a chili sauce, and I don't do hot things. I then stirred in the chicken and cheese with the spoon (which is sturdy like an American MRE spoon, but far more basic in design). The flavors of everything tasted very good, and made me wish I had a little more of the dried fish powder to mix in. I popped open the M&M's afterwards, but to my dismay they had gone bad and were just powder, so they got tossed unfortunately. So I busted out the chocolate bar that I was trying to save, and surprisingly, that had bloomed as well, and it wasn't even a year old, it wasn't as bad as the M&M's though, so it was eaten for desert. I then moved onto the lifesavers...what do I say about these things, they make for a good prank on your friends, that's for sure. I tried one of those pink rings of death and instantly spit it out, I downed the blue lemonade and ate the Fruit Cake in a futile attempt to erase that flavor from my mouth, I ended up going for mouth wash because nothing else seemed to work fast enough.

The next morning before school I grabbed the cereal bar and the steak bar and tossed them in my bag for snacks while in class and ate the mussli. I was weary of the fruit and seed label, but once I dug into it, it actually wasn't bad at all, mainly having golden raisins, pumpkin seeds, and flax, along with the granola like mussli. it says on the package that you could add the non-dairy creamer to it to act as milk, and sugar to taste, but honestly, just water was plenty tasty and sugary ( and I have a nasty sweet tooth). Later that day I had the steak bar, nothing special, just like one you would get at the gas station, but the cereal bar was a little different, pretty filling and flavorful too, the apricot was very prevalent and didn't taste artificial at all like things in these meals sometimes can.

Finally, for dinner I made the soup, lamb and tomato sambal, and rice, wishing I had kept some of the cheese to toss in with it. This meal didn't turn out as well as I would have hoped though, The rice calls for 150ml of hot water to be put in and let sit for 5-10 minutes, I did this and added the sambal to it, not knowing that I had made a mistake and put 250ml of water, leading to a very watery soup like meal that lacked flavor. but that's okay, it cut down on the heat from the curry in the sambal making it edible for me. The soup was pretty tasty, but still very basic off the shelf style instant soup.

This was a very enjoyable meal for me to have and I look forward to trying to get my hands on another one, maybe a Menu H or D. And now for the pictures.
Attachments
20170407_203331.jpg
20170407_203309.jpg
20170407_203238.jpg
20170407_203200.jpg
20170407_203132.jpg
20170407_203116.jpg
20170407_203054.jpg
20170407_203047.jpg
20170407_202642.jpg
20170407_202617.jpg

oktoberskyline

Re: Aussie CR1M Menu E

Postby oktoberskyline » Wed May 24, 2017 1:18 pm

more pictures...
Attachments
20170407_214829.jpg
20170407_205053.jpg
20170407_205036.jpg
20170407_205017.jpg
20170407_204543.jpg
20170407_204032.jpg
20170407_203427.jpg
20170407_203409.jpg
20170407_203351.jpg

cavguy

Postby cavguy » Thu May 25, 2017 10:10 am

That fruit cake looks good!

oktoberskyline

Postby oktoberskyline » Thu May 25, 2017 10:17 am

cavguy wrote:That fruit cake looks good!

It is, I was actually surprised by how flavorful both the fruit cake and the mussli was with actual plump juicy raisins.

cavguy

Postby cavguy » Thu May 25, 2017 11:16 am

With these freeze dried rice's that come in the CR1M & PR1M I have found it best to use the amount of HOT water specified on the package, let it sit for 10 minutes then give it a stir and check to see if the rice is done, if not done, just close it up and wait a few more minutes - you may add a dash of hot water if need be. I usually end up pouring out a little water before eating... You def. want to wait to make sure the rice is done and not watered down before adding it to a main meal. Its real easy to simply pour out the excess water before enjoying it.

Its easy to do with the rice, but no so much with other freeze dried items. My advice with other freeze dried stuff, especially entree's, is to use considerably less hot/cold water then the instructions call for. Wait and stir, then add more water if needed in SMALL increments, repeat, stir & wait, that way you don't end up with a soupy entree.

oktoberskyline

Postby oktoberskyline » Thu May 25, 2017 11:20 am

cavguy wrote:With these freeze dried rice's that come in the CR1M & PR1M I have found it best to use the amount of HOT water specified on the package, let it sit for 10 minutes then give it a stir and check to see if the rice is done, if not done, just close it up and wait a few more minutes - you may add a dash of hot water if need be. I usually end up pouring out a little water before eating... You def. want to wait to make sure the rice is done and not watered down before adding it to a main meal. Its real easy to simply pour out the excess water before enjoying it.

Its easy to do with the rice, but no so much with other freeze dried items. My advice with other freeze dried stuff, especially entree's, is to use considerably less hot/cold water then the instructions call for. Wait and stir, then add more water if needed in SMALL increments, repeat, stir & wait, that way you don't end up with a soupy entree.

Yeah, I normally add less then the recommended amount of water for most freeze dried items. This time, I was in the middle of doing a couple things and just messed up, but I just went with it.

Asger

Postby Asger » Thu May 25, 2017 12:05 pm

cavguy wrote:With these freeze dried rice's that come in the CR1M & PR1M I have found it best to use the amount of HOT water specified on the package, let it sit for 10 minutes then give it a stir and check to see if the rice is done, if not done, just close it up and wait a few more minutes - you may add a dash of hot water if need be. I usually end up pouring out a little water before eating... You def. want to wait to make sure the rice is done and not watered down before adding it to a main meal. Its real easy to simply pour out the excess water before enjoying it.

I just knead it a bit and shake it - using right amount of water as specified. And while pouring the leftower water I squize the bag a little. That rice is like top of the cake for some mains in cr1m's, but the bad part of the ration is their mashed potatoes.
*** FaceBooK *** YouTubE ***

cavguy

Postby cavguy » Thu May 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Good advise also Asger!

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Postby alohakid » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:18 am

oktoberskyline - Thanks for the great pics & share. The Aussie spoon should be the official spoon for all MRE/rations... including the FRED... about the FRED, talk about difficulty finding one for sale... may have to buy a CR1M just to get one! :lol:

mahalo

oktoberskyline

Postby oktoberskyline » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:32 am

Oh trust me, I'm keeping that FRED close, I've had someone try and snatch it already. I don't think I mentioned that I have made it an integral piece of my search and rescue gear, never know when you'll need it.

alohakid wrote:oktoberskyline - Thanks for the great pics & share. The Aussie spoon should be the official spoon for all MRE/rations... including the FRED... about the FRED, talk about difficulty finding one for sale... may have to buy a CR1M just to get one! :lol:

mahalo

Return to “International Ration Reviews”