Steve's International Ration Thread

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
steve1989
eBay name: -

Re: Steve's International Ration Thread

Post by steve1989 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:31 am

!
Attachments
DSCN3614.JPG
Main Entree - Lasagna - - container is very similar to a German EPA Container!
DSCN3616.JPG
DSCN3613.JPG
Hmmm We'll find out what this is too on the next post.
DSCN3612.JPG
Unmarked Pack - We'll see what it is here..
DSCN3611.JPG
Accessory Packet
DSCN3610.JPG
Hey that's neat, I've seen this in some Civilian US MRE's - little pack of water for your FRH
DSCN3620.JPG
DSCN3619.JPG
Lemon Drink Mix & Salty Soup Mix. My buddy Jamin had this soup mix - I'll upload photos of that set soon it's on my other camera and I have a whole mess of photo sets accumulating on that one. I'll say this - he added 6 oz to that soup mix and said it was still very salty. I had the lemon drink mix - it was very acidic and with flavorful sweet citrus tones.. not sure if I managed to get photos of that we'll see if I have them.
What is the oldest thing you've ever eaten?

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:51 am

!
Attachments
DSCN3636.JPG
Just after it is opened - I wanna stir this around a tad bit..
DSCN3634.JPG
Sweetened Condensed going into the Tea
DSCN3632.JPG
DSCN3629.JPG
Oh what a wonderful thing: Sweetened Condensed Milk in a tube. I love this stuff - and this tube was no exception from the norm of it's greatness.
Kept this tube - I think it's a real cool piece.
DSCN3626.JPG
Seeds from that strange dried fruit. Don't break a tooth!
DSCN3623.JPG
DSCN3622.JPG
Mystery Packet 2 brings us a neat little fruit bar - I'm almost 100% sure it was just fig - I can say I wish I had a trunkload of these things. The chewy flake crunch when you bite in with that slightly bitter and mainly sweet & fruity taste makes for a very enjoyable snack.
DSCN3624.JPG
Mystery Packet 1 unearths dried fruit of various kinds. Guess they were going for that whole roughage/sugar combo. This stuff will sure keep you busy chewing on it. It was actually somewhat entertaining attempting to eat all of this stuff. I think it would literally take me all day 1 small bit here & there. Then it's fine!
DSCN3618.JPG
Going to Boil the Entree in the pouch.
Last edited by steve1989 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 am

The Lasagna wasn't overly impressive - it lacked in flavor and it really didn't have much in the way of meat in it. I still can imagine if I'd had it on one of my longer hikes that it wouldn't matter it would just be nice to have the hot meal.

The crackers are just like the ones in Lithuanian rations. They are like hardtack almost - and have those pleasant caraway seeds. I love these things.

I decided to save the FRH for my collection - No point in using those things unless you need to. I save most of mine.

I have pics of the coffee on my phone which is currently out of commission so those will have to wait. I can say this - the Polish Ration Coffee was some of the best I've had yet. Very similar consistency, flavor, and acidity to the Lithuanian Coffee. A nice dark roast, and very smooth.
Again - I'll get those coffee pics up soon!

Oh hey here's a pic I almost forgot of a tart candy from this ration's accessory packet it wasn't too bad! There need to be more than only 2 in there!
Attachments
DSCN3617.JPG
Tart citrus candy from the accessory pack. I think there need to be more than only 2 of these in this!
DSCN3639.JPG
DSCN3638.JPG
DSCN3637.JPG
DSCN3635.JPG

Norton

Post by Norton » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:47 pm

Great review Steve

(as always)

The Lasagna could use a US Cheese packet to add body. But From here it looks OK for a field meal.
The Condensed milk in a tube is a fantastic idea and I would like to see that product here in the states.
It would be very handy for both instant coffee and powdered hot Chocolate. also if you mixed it with water you could drink it straight of use it to make better sauces for certain entrees. The Instant Coffee was good.
I had Italian instant coffee before and thought it was strong. In a military ration that is what you want right?
The only thing surprising to me were the hardtack. That is a very interesting throwback item

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:17 pm

Thanks again, Norton! You always have such knowledgeable wisdom & feedback to my posts and I really do appreciate it - its actually one of my driving forces on getting more of this stuff out there!

That lasagna truly needs some US Jalapeno Cheese spread - dang I wish I'd thought of that, although I wasn't hiking with this one and was at home where I wasn't really burning calories, it still actually tasted pretty good albeit bland.

The Sweetened Condensed Milk is a real Gem - I've had one in a Australian rat, Russian, and now Polish. Such good stuff - and extremely useful and portable! Good point it is handy for coffee and tea but you could also add it to other foods if desired - wouldn't have been too bad if a bit was added to a breakfast item like oatmeal or something!

Italian instant coffee isn't too bad! It too is strong, this stuff was an even darker roast almost like it was instant espresso! Just what you want to keep ya from inadvertently catching Z's whilst in the field.

Those crackers aren't exactly like hardtack but I call em that anyways because let's face it - they are firmer than any other Ration cracker (at least to my knowledge) even more so than EPA Hartkeks! Total throwback item, Norton! The sorta thing you only wanna nibble on while hiking it out/ on patrol/ i.e. on the move!

They are the same ones as in Lithuanian rats and I gotta say - they are not half bad! I'd try them again to say the least.

Thank you again, as always your input is invaluable to helping me collaborate further knowledge and inspiration! Good stuff!

I'll keep you all posted on more International Ration Reviews for this thread - I still have the following to review: 2 french RCIR's, 2 Russian IRP's, a Chinese PLA Army rat DoP 2011 that I don't think anyone has really documented opening (not the new ones that are on YT vids this is a different one) a Slovenian rat (sent 1/3rd of it to a good friend because the last entree had soy in it which I'm allergic), and more I just can't remember exactly. Oh yeah and I have to post up the other EPA entree and also the rest of that UK rat - boy I have some work to do!

Will keep you all posted with more to come!

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Mon May 18, 2015 9:14 am

Hello everyone,

I have 3 French RCIR reviews (1 with 1991 DoP the other 2 are newer 2012 DoP), 1/3rd of that uk 24 hr left to report, a Slovenian, 3 Russian IRPs with different DoP's, 3 IMPs (1 imp is a vintage white pack from 1990), and 1 entree left from my German EPA. All of these will be the next part of this thread along with anything else that i'm probably forgetting off the top of my head.

I want to share pics of this French RCIR from 24 years ago.
Will comment more later, another busy day just wanna share pics in this spare time.

Ps, this rcir is going in a very important collection. No parts will be opened or tested. For display and documentation purposes only.
Attachments
20150430_214937.jpg
20150430_215259.jpg
20150430_215759.jpg
They provided that same stove even 24 years ago. This one is rusted in spots from the candy leakage.
20150430_215826.jpg
20150430_215835.jpg
20150430_215844.jpg
Accessory packet's hard candies liquified and leaked. Eww..
20150430_215928.jpg
20150430_220021.jpg

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Mon May 18, 2015 1:27 pm

Sardines! I bet you could clear a house with those...

gundog4314
eBay name: gundog4314

Post by gundog4314 » Mon May 18, 2015 6:07 pm

I just did a review on the Italian Module G "Blue". I know exactly what you mean about some good chow. I was really shocked how heavy it actually was. Shall be posting it to youtube in a week or so.

Cheers!

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:48 pm

Here is a neat variety of International Rations and components that I had gotten from Kats. Thank you so much, Kats for the fantastic opportunity to possess, learn about, eat (still quite a bit edible!), and enjoy. An absolute thrill for me and thank you again!

Ok, I'll start with the what I think is a Dutch Ration from 1991. I'm not even sure if these are all the components of the Ration, or if all the components are even original to it - I have absolutely no knowledge on it's origin or history - so I am sorry for the absolute minimal and elementary knowledge I possess on it.

Simply presenting photographs for now and will add verbose commentary within the day/evening.
Attachments
DSCN6922.JPG
DSCN6920.JPG
DSCN6917.JPG
DSCN6915.JPG
DSCN6909.JPG
DSCN6908.JPG
DSCN6901.JPG
DSCN6900.JPG
DSCN6565.JPG
DSCN6559.JPG

steve1989

Post by steve1989 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:28 pm

More pics - I will start adding my review commentary to all of it shortly.
Attachments
DSCN6585.JPG
Up next after finishing the last of this Dutch Ration's canned food is this South African Ration 1988 DoP
DSCN6970.JPG
DSCN6960.JPG
DSCN6955.JPG
DSCN6951.JPG
DSCN6950.JPG
DSCN6936.JPG
small hole from bug under the P not edible sadly.
DSCN6929.JPG
DSCN6926.JPG
DSCN6925.JPG