RCIR soup taste test

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
rationtin440

Re: RCIR soup taste test

Post by rationtin440 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:36 pm

I'm still looking to try the Erbswurst, but being that I'm poor and there's no place in the U.S. that I can get it from, just one of those things :(

housil

Post by housil » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:53 pm

Apocalypse wrote:Excuse my ignorance, but is there any actual ox tail in ox tail soup rations?
:wink:

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 am

I did notice that, but I'm asking if it is the actual tail of an ox or something else called "oxtail". Simulated tail, perhaps? The lack of space between the words ox and tail threw me. (:
-------------------------------------
Offence cannot be given, only taken.

housil

Post by housil » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:21 pm

Apocalypse wrote: it is the actual tail of an ox or something else called "oxtail"
Ahhhh, OK, I see.

Nah, it´s a real oxtail. To make oxtail soup, you fry the (cut in pieces) oxtail and (root) vegetables
as you do it for gravy base (franc: "grandjus")

housil

Canadian IMP Celery Soup

Post by housil » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:28 pm

I have tried a Canadian "Cream of a Celery soup"

The dehydrated soup

After dissolving

I got some tasteless, hot "something" that was far from being "cream" and "celery". :cry:

Nawt

Re: Canadian IMP Celery Soup

Post by Nawt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:21 pm

housil wrote:I have tried a Canadian "Cream of a Celery soup"
I got some tasteless, hot "something" that was far from being "cream" and "celery". :cry:
Hi there Housil,
Your comment did put a smile on my face ( sorry). I just found it really funny the way you described it.
w.r.t. the 'soup', the name 'cream of' already says just that, but in nicer words. Adding that celery is not the most tastefull veggie, I'd say that it is possible it turns out that way. Too bad actually.
But thanks for sharing, thumbs up!

rationtin440

Post by rationtin440 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm curious, does "soup" actually have another meaning in French/Canadian? Why I ask is because the pudding in British cuisine terminology often seems to refer to a type of sponge cake, for example, and I was curious if the French/Canadian idea of soup is actually something other than what is normally considered to be soup.

housil

Re: Canadian IMP Celery Soup

Post by housil » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:27 pm

Nawt wrote: Your comment did put a smile on my face ( sorry). I just found it really funny the way you described it.
:mrgreen:
w.r.t. the 'soup', the name 'cream of' already says just that, but in nicer words. Adding that celery is not the most tastefull veggie, I'd say that it is possible it turns out that way. Too bad actually.
Why?! Actually a "cream of a soup" is a dairy based (milk or even cream) soup and usually very smooth, "creamy", thick/rich, and taste´s what is named after like mushrooms, aspergus, tomato etc...

Stef

Post by Stef » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:36 am

rationtin440 wrote:I'm curious, does "soup" actually have another meaning in French/Canadian? Why I ask is because the pudding in British cuisine terminology often seems to refer to a type of sponge cake, for example, and I was curious if the French/Canadian idea of soup is actually something other than what is normally considered to be soup.
Hi,
well, soupe is same as soup or suppe I think : a lot of hot (generally) water in wich you boil some meat or vegetables. The ratio water/solid ingredient can vary a lot between a simple broth to a hotpot or almost a mash. We have a lot of words in French for "soup" depending on its style and consistency :
bouillon, potage, consommé, velouté, crème (celery, asparagus) and many others that I forget. :lol:

The RCIR "potage tomate légumes" I had yesterday was like making love on the beach : f...g close to water :oops:
In principio erat spamum

housil

Post by housil » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:18 am

Stef wrote:
We have a lot of words in French for "soup" depending on its style and consistency :
bouillon, potage, consommé, velouté, crème (celery, asparagus) and many others that I forget. :lol:
Even over here the (restaurants) kitchen language is French. I grew up in my Dad´s restaurant kitchen (he is a master chef) and can remember calling a "potage" a "thick" soup like potato soup, a "consommé" is a "clear" soup (broth) with "inlays" from vegetables or meet. The "bouillon" is a broth without anything in. Just the liquid soup (stock drink?) Right?