RCIR Menu 12 Tartiflette , Pork Salad

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
Woodland

RCIR Menu 12 Tartiflette , Pork Salad

Post by Woodland » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:37 pm

I tried this menu earlier last year.I choose to open it out of curiosity. Tartiflette sounded interesting. But it was a disappointment.Tartiflette is basically potatoes with cheese and pork (in this case ham).
PB090226.JPG
Ingredients:
PB090228.JPG
PB090230.JPG
Smelled and looked very appetizing...at least at first glance.
I tried to find some lean meat...
PB090233.JPG
O.K.It wasn't so bad.The potatoes with cheese were very tasty.I just don't like ham. 2 out of 5.

The other entree was Pork Salad (to be eaten cold).
PB090216.JPG
PB090217.JPG
This entree was nothing special.Tasted good.Were no problem eating it in the field.But it also needed the salt and pepper...3 out of 5.

In this menu the muesli was different.Made in Germany and raspberry flavoured.
PB090224.JPG
PB090225.JPG
The muesli was OK but this type is much better:
PB170034.JPG
My favourite desert item is the dried plum:
PB090235.JPG
Tastes like home made :-)

housil

Re: RCIR Menu 12 Tartiflette , Pork Salad

Post by housil » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:35 am

Woodland wrote:

In this menu the muesli was different.Made in Germany and raspberry flavoured.
The muesli was OK...
Wow, that was new to mee.
I know the manufacturer from German EPa leicht. I wouldn´t call it "OK", "poor" matches it better to me :wink: To me it was like in-water-soaked-tasteless-oatmeals
...but this type is much better:
I´d like to give these a try as I love cereals

Woodland

Post by Woodland » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:10 am

I wouldn´t call it "OK", "poor" matches it better to me :wink: To me it was like in-water-soaked-tasteless-oatmeals
You are right :) OK means that I could eat it. The other type tastes much better.I love it.
In Menu 12 there is a "Boar pate". I couldn't eat it.It had such a strong taste...I wouldn't hesitate if a were in the field and were hungry but that poor pate landed in the cat's belly.I didn't make photos when I tried it but I still have the empty can.I save the empty cans (Don't ask me why,I don't know.I also collect the MRE cardboard boxes and wraps of every new item ).

The plum wasn't on the menu list.On the box it is "Milky dessert" instead.
PB240204 (2).JPG
This is not a single error.In Menu 8 (which is also a pork menu) there is plum instead of milky dessert too.
If you are interested in the complete RCIR menu list I have pictures of every menu box(1-14) from 2010.
Last edited by Woodland on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

housil

Post by housil » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:31 am

Woodland wrote: In Menu 12 there is a "Boar pate". I couldn't eat it.It had such a strong taste...I wouldn't hesitate if a were in the field and were hungry but that poor pate landed in the cat's belly.I didn't make photos when I tried it but I still have the empty can.I save the empty cans (Don't ask me why,I don't know.I also collect the MRE cardboard boxes and wraps of every new item ).
You are right, you love or hate deer/boar etc... there is nothing inbetween. Did you have the cheese yet? I don´t like this cheese either. It also has a "strong/sharp" taste to me. Not this smooth like the MRE cheese spread.
I also keep the empty cases and boxes :wink:

Woodland

Post by Woodland » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:38 am

I forgot the cheese :oops: There are two types.First one is "normal" cheese spread the other one is "Camembert". Normal cheese tastes better.The Camembert type is also good but has a strong taste. I like both.

I think that it was the cognac that made the boar taste too strong.Same with the "Deer pate" I ate few months ago.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:59 pm

I absolutely hate the Camembert cheese in the RCIR's. To me this tastes like sour milk soaked cardboard! Apparently this cheese is a French favorite though.

housil

Post by housil » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:11 pm

cavguy wrote:I absolutely hate the Camembert cheese in the RCIR's. To me this tastes like sour milk soaked cardboard! Apparently this cheese is a French favorite though.
I never had a RCIR camenbert, but I like camembert especially when he is pretty mellow (so soft he almost runs out if you cut it). We get it also in every food store over here and I eat a lot. But there are also different taste (smooth-very tasty) and I would be too curious how a RCIR camambert tastes.

Woodland

Post by Woodland » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Next time I'll show you how an RCIR camembert looks like. It's very soft and creamy. It's name sounds good but IMO it has nothing to do with camembert cheese.

Stef

Post by Stef » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:14 am

the only cheese I've seen in recent RCIRs was that bland Austrian processed cheese with the cow picture. :|

Anyway, canned Camembert is a pure heresy :evil:
In principio erat spamum

housil

Post by housil » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:02 am

Stef wrote:the only cheese I've seen in recent RCIRs was that bland Austrian processed cheese with the cow picture. :|
That one

Anyway, canned Camembert is a pure heresy :evil:
Is there realy some available? I´m a big fan of camembert and wold give it a try just out of curiosity