RCIR Menu 13 Poisson ala Bretonne

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
Woodland

RCIR Menu 13 Poisson ala Bretonne

Post by Woodland » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 pm

This is my first review.I could get my hands on some French rations recently.I love them.I like MREs because they are practical and high tech but I also like RCIRs since I first tried them (1998).To be honest I like all the rations I have eaten (EPA,RCIR,MRE,IMP).I'm addicted to rations :lol: This entree I'm about to show you is the first one that I didn't like at all.In fact this is the only one I wouldn't eat from the 14 menus.I won't review the full ration because I can't afford to buy expensive rations very often :oops: and I usually eat the food when I don' cook.
I choose this menu because I don't like shellfish and I wanted to taste it.
Attachments
PB170040.JPG
After heating it in a bowl.Looks good but the taste is...huhhh.I could eat only the half of it.Shellfish is not my favourite to say the least.
PB170037.JPG
Looks nice.I like fish.
PB170033.JPG
PB220200.JPG
PB170025.JPG
Contents of the ration.The other entree (Poisson ala Bretonne) is not here.

Stef

Re: RCIR Menu 13 Poisson ala Bretonne

Post by Stef » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:06 am

Hi
thanks for the review, I've never tried that entrée yet.
In fact there's very little shellfish in the sauce (loabster chowder 15%) and the "fish" they used is pollock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollachius_virens
The factory is about 60 miles from here, I'll check if they also sell to the public :P
In principio erat spamum

Woodland

Post by Woodland » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:30 am

Unread postby Stef » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:06 am
Hi
thanks for the review, I've never tried that entrée yet.
In fact there's very little shellfish in the sauce (loabster chowder 15%) and the "fish" they used is pollock http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollachius_virens
The factory is about 60 miles from here, I'll check if they also sell to the public :P
I think that RCIR entrees are commercial canned food.You can buy them in supermarkets just in different packaging.
I can't stand the smell of lobster. :oops: Sorry.
But the fish was tasty.

Stef

Post by Stef » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:45 am

Hi,
yes you could have bought them a few years ago when that kind of entrées in flat tins were still sold in all the supermarkets.
Since 4 or 5 years, since there's a microwave oven in just any little office or business, you can only find some meals in plastic boxes. The RCIR and EPA style cans are not used anymore for civilian foods ...except the pet food :roll:
In principio erat spamum

housil

Post by housil » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:44 am

Stef wrote: The RCIR and EPA style cans are not used anymore for civilian foods ...except the pet food :roll:
Objection Image

The civilian EPa food containers still come made from non microwaveable alu.

Woodland

Post by Woodland » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Unread postby Stef » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:45 am
Hi,
yes you could have bought them a few years ago when that kind of entrées in flat tins were still sold in all the supermarkets.
Since 4 or 5 years, since there's a microwave oven in just any little office or business, you can only find some meals in plastic boxes. The RCIR and EPA style cans are not used anymore for civilian foods ...except the pet food :roll:
I don't know.I only found this when I was searching for the manufacturer of RCIR entrees:

http://www.bocagerestauration.fr/nos-emballages/

I like French rations because of the "old style" design of the RCIR.Canned food,Campagne biscuits,Esbit heater :) Like in the old days.

Stef

Post by Stef » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Housil, I know but that's in Germany :wink: In France "Buss" brand EPA entrées are sold nowhere (not even at Aldi or Lidl) and we have the choice between the old cylindrical cans or the plastic dishes :roll:
Woodland, that brand only sells to the Governements and companies...
Last edited by Stef on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In principio erat spamum

housil

Post by housil » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:41 pm

Ah OK - I see.

Woodland

Post by Woodland » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks for the information.I didn't know this : "that brand only sells to the Governements and companies"

When I wrote : "You can buy them in supermarkets just in different packaging." I meant that the food (Poisson ala Bretonne) is available in Supermarkets not necesseraly from BocageRest. :)

Stef

Post by Stef » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:29 am

Hi,
I guess it's available in the "plastic dish" style. Bocage is a group that supplies the cafeterias (in bulk) and the Army (-ies).
A few years ago a supermarket was still selling RCIR type tins (Boeuf Bourguignon or Fish and rice Curry, maybe) but I can't remember where... :|
In principio erat spamum