2006 British 24 Hour Operational Ration pack Menu #2 Review

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
cavguy

2006 British 24 Hour Operational Ration pack Menu #2 Review

Post by cavguy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:28 pm

A little about my background before we begin; I am a Army combat veteran who has served in primarily light infantry units. However most of my combat experience is as a mounted crew member of a light wheeled vehicle. So in other words I have an iron stomach and can eat just about anything and I know a little about Military rations.

So today for review we have a 2006 British 24 Hour ORP this is menu #2. Everything seems to be packed in 2006 according to the date codes.

This ration includes the following items I have broken down as Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner according to my personal Preference.

Ration Contents Picture

Accessory Pack

Contents: Black tea X 4, Sugar X 4, Water purification tablets, Whitener X 6, Coffee X 2, Gum and Matches.

For Breakfast I ate; Bacon Omelette and Beans, Hot cocoa and a Oatmeal block

My thoughts; The main meal was very delicious it does however taste different than what we usually eat for breakfast in the USA kind of like a mix between beanie weenies with the older MRE omelette with ham. The hot cocoa is also very rich and sugary much better than the MRE counterpart. The oatmeal block is also very good and very sweet it reminds me of a standard oatmeal cookie. This breakfast left me very full!

For Lunch I ate; Cream Of Tomato Soup (This had MSG added), 3ea Brown Biscuits, 3ea Fruit Biscuits, Chicken & Herb Pate, Black Tea and Berry Combo Fruit Grains.

My thoughts; The soup was good definitely nothing special here kind of salty as it has MSG added for flavor. The 3 biscuits brown I also enjoyed they kind of taste like cardboard if you eat them plain with no spread, I always use the pate when I eat them. The 3 biscuits fruits are very tasty I eat them plain and they taste to me like fruity graham crackers. The chicken and herb pate is also good it taste's like standard chicken liver pate I however cannot taste the “herb” part! The black tea is the instant freeze dried type not strong at all and I drink my tea plain. The berry combo grains are like sugary pieces of dried fruit again very tasty. Lunch was definitely lighter than breakfast as I was still full from breakfast.

For Dinner I ate; Chicken Tikka Masala, Cooked Rice, Black Tea X 2, 3ea Brown Biscuits, 3ea Fruit Biscuits, Leftover Chicken & Herb Pate, 1 X Yorkie Bar.

My thoughts; I combined the chicken tikka masala and cooked rice, the rice tasted like perfectly boiled lightly seasoned rice and for those that do not know Chicken Tikka Masala is a Indian dish and I love Indian food, this dish tasted of slight curry in a tomato based sauce with very small pieces of chicken chunks it tasted great although I think it needs bigger chunks of chicken and more curry flavor! The tea tasted good. The Yorkie bars are EXCELLENT a big hunk of plain milk chocolate can't beat that! Again VERY filling I am overly full.

For Late Night Snack I ate; Black tea X 1, Chocolate Pudding in Chocolate Sauce, 1 X Yorkie Bar, Pack Of Fruit Flavored Sweets.

My thoughts; The chocolate pudding is very unusual to me more like a hunk of cake with cocoa flavored sauce and I am not sure if this thing is supposed to be heated or eaten cold, it was good though. (I ate at room temp). Again the Yorkie bars are EXCELLENT a big hunk of plain milk chocolate! The fruit flavored sweets are also good basically artificially fruit flavored hunks of sugar good for a quick pickup.

What I did not eat/drink; Vegemite paste, Lucozade carbo drink mix, Coffee, Gum, Sugar, Creamer.

Conclusion; The British have the BEST rations I have tasted so far IF you have time to consume the entire ration. The ingredients of some of the ration items seem to have less additives than our MRE's. The taste is also superior to me. This ration along with about a gallon of water was the ONLY food/drink I consumed for an entire 24 hour period. I was lightly active walking a few miles and hitting the gym for a light workout. My hunger was more than satisfied by this ration. While writing this now in a civilian situation, I can think back and remember during combat and I think this ration would satisfy me during operations (figure PT in the morning then a 6-8 hour patrol then around 3 hours of guard duty). Now I do need to be critical about a few things I am NOT a fan of the soup and anything that requires prepping and the drinks too. I personally would not ever take the time in combat to prepare anything, if it is in a pouch it is getting eaten cold, if it is a drink or requires preparation it is getting thrown out. During training exercises there is no way I would boil these meal packs in water to heat either they would either get eaten cold or if I had extra time get stuck in a hot exhaust pipe and heated for 5 minutes or so then eaten. I love the chocolate a BIG plus although if I had it on my body armor it would be mush/melted in seconds so the actual use of this is not too practical this is where the flavored sweets step up though. Also the weight of the ration pack would require some thought (METTC) on how to break it all down and carry it on your personal kit I could imagine throwing a lot out.

housil

Re: 2006 British 24 Hour Operational Ration pack Menu #2 Rev

Post by housil » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:36 pm

Thx cavguy for sharing your great pics!!

I´m a real fan of UK ORP rations as I like their tea w/ milk, also the milk chocolate is the best rations chocolate I had. I just love MRE cocoa more than the less sweat but rich UK one.
The only drawback to me is, the ORPs contain more fat. For me too much. But that´s a personal handicap I have.

I´m a little bit confused about the date code.

It say´s 02/09/06 but the 4-digit code say´s 7068.

Nice you mentioned and tried the soup. Soups in Rations are a nice "nick-nack".
I had the "chicken soup" out of a ORP before. It taste like melted chicken bones. Yuck... :?

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Olli,

You are correct about the date codes the box list's a pack date of 2007 however the individual items all have 2006 dates. So I assume that the ration components were manufactured in 2006 and packed in 2007. I wish they had put nutritional content on the ration items because I am not sure about the fats in this ration pack (saturated vs non, trans-fat). I think the newer multi-climate packs do have that info on them.

sw342pd
eBay name: sw342pd

Post by sw342pd » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Cavguy,
very nice review!

I had Sausage and Beans yesterday morning. My pack was 2008.
I hate the puddings and so, because they don`t meet my tastes...
So if someone likes them - PN please.
But nearly everything else is still good.
In my rations there are Strawberry spread also.
The herbal pate (german manufaturer) doesn`t hit me, but OK.
I wonder what to do with the yeast extract - anybody can help? In gemany I would say it`s a kind of MAGGI!

In my rations are an italian manufactured chocolate bar, but very good, too.
Also the biscuits and oatmeal bar and the Golden Oat bar as known from the Multi Climate Rations.
Because of housils "warning" I dare to eat the soup :twisted:

In summary, I like the Multi Climate Ration more, but these ORPs are still good - my favorites are UK Rations and MRE - then RCIR and EPA in all versions. My EPA favorite is the Currywurst!

Just my 2 cents,
take care,

Lars
"forge ahead"

housil

Post by housil » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:08 pm

sw342pd wrote: I wonder what to do with the yeast extract - anybody can help? In gemany I would say it`s a kind of MAGGI!
It´s vegemite, we don´t know it over here.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:23 pm

Vegemite is a VERY acquired taste, VERY salty to me! I do not like it.

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:19 pm

cavguy wrote:Vegemite is a VERY acquired taste, VERY salty to me! I do not like it.
I seen it spread on crackers o bread. Is an adquired taste. At first I thought it was sweet but is not. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
In my case I pass too. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The pudding?? In the UK is referred to a moist cake with icing and in the US is well the JELLO type of pudding. :wink:
Last edited by Bypah on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live long and prosper..."

sodjer

Post by sodjer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:55 pm

nice review ,cavguy,i cant believe you ate so much of this ration :o thats a few thousand kals :oops:i have a few of these left and i have a weekend in the hills starting on friday(with an american air force friend)and im going to see what i can get thru
this ration is a transition ration ,moving away from the beans for breakfast,and all the sugar fat and chocolate.there are a few things i ve never see before in this pack ,firstly the powder black tea that must have be a trial, because after that the army went back to tea bags.
your right cavguy there are a lot of wasteage on these rations and when there are exercises there are dumpster full of rations in the hills around here :shock: :shock:
i perfere these rations to the new multi-cilmate ones.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:01 am

Yes I definitely agree that this was alot of food too much for me in one day! It was of course designed for very active Soldiers. Too much food unless you are at least moderately active (running a few miles, lifting, etc..). But I think so far it is the BEST well rounded ration designed to last for a full 24 hours. I have read a few new stories form the BBC explaining how soldiers really enjoyed these older ration pack too and are getting tired of the new healthier Multi-Climate packs!
Last edited by cavguy on Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

housil

Post by housil » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:47 pm

cavguy wrote: I think the newer multi-climate packs do have that info on them.
Nope, they haven´t either :cry:

They just have that lable on:
as most items seems commercial