Canadian IMP Menu 3 Maccoroni with Cheese Sauce

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
QMGE81A
eBay name: j-a-smith

Canadian IMP Menu 3 Maccoroni with Cheese Sauce

Postby QMGE81A » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:10 pm

This past weekend netboy541 and I ventured out, along with my brother, to my family's cabin in the backwoods of Ohio. We procured a sampling of German EPA, Norwegian Drytech REAL meals, and Canadian IMPs thanks to Treesuit (you rock man!). This was our first venture outside of US produced rations.

This is a review of Canadian IMP, Menu 3 Macaroni with Cheese Sauce.
1016001957.jpg

After opening the top of the bag:
1016001958a.jpg

Contents laid out:
1016002001a.jpg

Macaroni with Cheese Sauce retort pouch:
1016002003c.jpg

Peaches retort pouch:
1016002013.jpg

The Macaroni was prepared by boiling in water for 8 minutes. While waiting on our meals to heat up we decided to sample some Canadian beverages:
1016002003.jpg

For this review we sampled the wet packed Peaches, Macaroni with Cheese Sauce, Bread, Strawberry Jam, and Peanut Butter Kit Kat.
1016002022.jpg

Closer view of Macaroni with Cheese Sauce:
1016002023.jpg

Now on to the Review. First up the bread:

BREAD AND STRAWBERRY JAM
Portion: I found the portion size of the bread to be sufficent compared to the ammount of Macaroni with Cheese Sauce. However, there were also two packets of Strawberry Jam, and not enough bread to match up with the Jam packets.
Texture: The bread was not as moist as a fresh baked loaf obviously, but I found it quite comparable to a dinner roll in texture. It also had that mild dryness, and crumble of a dinner roll. When using it to wipe up the excess cheese sauce, it had a tendency to crumble.
The Strawberry Jam was quite moist, and gellatinous as Jam should be. There was some residual liquid.
Taste: The bread was quite good, albeit a bit bland. Very remniscent of sliced white bread in taste. It tended to pill a bit in the mouth. The addition of the Strawberry Jam though made it very good. Strawberry Jam was quite sweet on it's own. When smeared on the bread, the bread mellowed it out and made it enjoyable.

MACARONI WITH CHEESE SAUCE
Portion: Portion size was comparable to a US MRE.
Texture: I expected the Cheese Sauce to have a consistency of silky melted cheese. Instead it came out as more of a glob, even while piping hot. We kneaded the bag to help break up the contents, but they were still very thick and solid. The noodles were perfectly al dente though.
Taste: netboy541 thought the entree may have went bad on his first taste. I too found something offputting at first bite. Then I realized it was the sharpness of the cheese we were tasting. American Macaroni and Cheese tends to be a bit dulled, whereas this entree had a prevailent cheddar flavor. I found it overall to be an okay dish, just nothing that really stood out to me other than the sharpness of the cheese.

PEACHES
Portion: Quite a lot, certainly the heaviest component in the entire meal
Texture: Peaches were tender, and very juicy. In fact we had to pour off an excess amount of juice before distributing them on our plates.
Taste: I am not a big fresh fruit fan. These peaches were lightly sweet, and very fresh. I would highly recommend if you are a peach fan.

For dessert we had the Peanut Butter Kit Kat and Campino Hard Candy:
1016002013a.jpg

1017001547.jpg

PEANUT BUTTER KIT KAT
Portion: This was a full size candy bar, and quite a treat to discover!
Texture: I was blown away by the consistency of the peanut butter. Unlike a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup that has an oily texture to the peanut butter, the Kit Kat was stuffed with a crumbly peanut butter than reminded me of my Grandmother's peanut butter fudge. The chocolate was a semi firm milk chocolate, that broke easily when bit.
Taste: For me this was the highlight of the meal. I confess I am a Kit Kat fan, but I am an even bigger peanut butter fan. The sweet milk chococlate was a great mate to the rich, crumbly peanut butter. I give it a solid 10!

CAMPINO HARD CANDY
Portion: One round disk hard candy, of similar size to an after dinner peppermint.
Texture: Slick hard candy
Taste: Very very grape. Overbearing at first. Then there is a creaminess that mixes with it. Overall, a good hard candy.

In the end I found this to be a good meal, on par with many of the US MREs I have sampled. I don't know why, but overall both I and Netboy541agreed that it seemed the meal was not as complete as a US MRE. However, I found a very useful attribute of the packaging. Our neighbor, who lives about 1/4 mile away invited us over. The airtight aluminum lining of the bag made a great impromptu cooler. I filled it with three bottled beers, and some ice. It never leaked and kept my beers ice cold!

Bypah

Re: Canadian IMP Menu 3 Maccoroni with Cheese Sauce

Postby Bypah » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Nice review Q..... :mrgreen:
I have never had the chance to taste an IMP but I see they are good though. :roll: :lol:
"Live long and prosper..."

Treesuit

Postby Treesuit » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Also there is the odd selction of condiments in the IMP's. Who actually thinks up of what goes into a IMP is really a mystery to me?

QMGE81A
eBay name: j-a-smith

Postby QMGE81A » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:34 am

Treesuit wrote:Also there is the odd selction of condiments in the IMP's. Who actually thinks up of what goes into a IMP is really a mystery to me?

Yeah, netboy541 and I sat there scratching our heads trying to figure out what in the heck you were supposed to use the ketchup for. :?

rationtin440

Postby rationtin440 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:25 am

Aw heck you guys, that's easy! Just combine it with hot water to make tomato soup like Hawkeye's friend Tippy Brooks did on that M*A*S*H* episode "38 Across." :lol:

cablemonkey
eBay name: clanrat

Postby cablemonkey » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Not uncommon to put ketchup on mac and cheese here in Kanuckistan.

Cracker
eBay name: tedtielemans

Postby Cracker » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:26 am

Ketchup is one of "the" sauces that some people tend to put on everything.
So I don't think that one is a very strange pick to put it in the rations. I however am not familiar with the other contents of the ration. But ketchup? It's a nice add. Boosts some kcal, helps some GIs out.. Great isn't it?

(I have an extreme dislike for "later added" ketchup on my food.. unless it's an burger or it hás to go in a meal (like sloppy joes). Adding it to food makes it easily to sweet)
Sure, someone may one day kill me with my own gun.
But they'll have to beat me to death with it because it's empty.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Bypah

Postby Bypah » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:27 pm

cablemonkey wrote:Not uncommon to put ketchup on mac and cheese here in Kanuckistan.

Then my wife is a canuckie.! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: She loves her mac n' cheese with plenty of ketchup and she is a born and bred okie. :wink:
She uses ketchup on everything!!! :shock: :roll:
:mrgreen:
"Live long and prosper..."

norge

Postby norge » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:18 pm

everything???????? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
couldnt resist :oops:

cheers ken

stick4543

Postby stick4543 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:28 pm

You know, for a while you could even buy Kraft Dinner with tomato/cheese sauce. Haven't seen it in forever but it proves a point: people eat goofy shit... I mean people like tomatoy stuff on mac and cheese.

Return to “International Ration Reviews”