2016 Backpacker's Pantry Lasagna

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
SentientTootsieRoll

2016 Backpacker's Pantry Lasagna

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:45 pm

Yesterday during my lunch hour, I decided to take a trip to a nearby sports door. The place I went to was "Sportsman's Warehouse", which recently opened here after a different location in my city closed down shortly after the recession. I decided to get some items for my escape/hiking backpack and stumbled upon dehydrated food. I'm always impressed by this stuff, so I decided to get some. I've had a lot of the food produced by Mountain House, but there was one brand I had not tried and that was Backpacker's Pantry. The menu items sounded tempting, so I decided to pick a few up. Here's the lasagna menu.
20161215_100504.jpg
20161215_100513.jpg
The directions said to add 2-1/4 cups of water. I didn't have much of a way to boil water here in the office, I just heated some water in a coffee maker, and poured what I thought would be a good amount. Here's a pic of it shortly after pouring the water in. Looks a bit soupy.
20161215_100700.jpg
After letting it set for about 10 minutes...
20161215_101922.jpg
Now, that looks awesome! Let's dig in!

Here's a close up shot of what you'll get.
20161215_102025.jpg
All in all, I'm pretty impressed! The noodles were of perfect consistency, the lasagna had a nice balance of tomato sauce, cheese and Italian spices and became a very enjoyable lunch. I will be buying more of this stuff, but next time I will have to try the Mountain House Lasagna as I've not had theirs yet.
If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're bound to repeat them for the first time.

Westview
eBay name: robichj

Re: 2016 Backpacker's Pantry Lasagna

Post by Westview » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Nice review! I noticed it's a 2 serving bag which is great when you're really hungry. I tried the Mountain House lasagne back in the summer and it tasted very good. It had a very nice oregano and basil taste, it was not bland at all. But for a spicy kick, I added a little Sriracha hot sauce.

Here's a link to a very good lasagna comparison video between Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry.