MH Rice & Chicken

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
housil

MH Rice & Chicken

Postby housil » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:58 pm

Today, I decided for a special dinner at work:

CR1.jpg

Instructions, too bad no marking how much is 2/3 of a cup...
CR2.jpg

First view inside
CR3.jpg

After the first 4 min - still solid
CR4.jpg

After another 10min
CR5.jpg

On a plate for better display
CR6.jpg

a chunk of chicken
CR7.jpg

As mentioned before, there wasn´t any markings of how much is 2/3 of a cup so I poured in what I though - a little bit too much.
After reconstitution of ~15min, I got a nice smelling dish. The rice was like fresh cooked, neither solid nor slushy.
The chunks of chicken looked weird as they came in little, rectangular "cubes" but they tastet like chicken :wink:

As expected, another great MH dish with just a little lack of broth/salt :D

Paul Buikema
eBay name: jimmyq3

Re: MH Rice & Chicken

Postby Paul Buikema » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks for this, yes it looks a bit on the wet side. If you want to try another look for Alpineaire brand, they have markings on the outside of the pouch for water levels, very easy to use, a little bit more pricey than MH. http://www.alpineaire.com/us/us

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Postby parafireboy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:38 pm

It looks good Housil, thanks for sharing! I've always been pretty happy with MH stuff. :D

kman
Site Admin

Postby kman » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:48 pm

I like that MH rice and chicken...it's one of those standard MH meals that you can't go wrong with...especially if you add some hot sauce to it!

Norton

Postby Norton » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:04 am

Housil

I have ate that meal on a two day hike in the Mountains. It has a outstanding flavor and if you give it time to cook the rice has a made in the kitchen texture.
I have noticed some of my friends do not give Mountain House meals the full time to cook. I add a few minutes to the recommended cook time and wrap the bag in a jacket or something to retain the heat after the boiling water is poured in. The Chicken and Rice flavor is better than off the shelf store bought rice meals in foil pouches. In fact my son raids my camping supply and eats them for at home meals sometimes. I have only one problem with the MT House rice based meals. They fill you up quickly but you are hungry in a few hours if you have some some hiking. The pasta based MT House dishes seem to keep your stomach full longer.

One trick I have done with MT House Chicken and Rice is add a small pop top can of Underwood chicken lunch spread. The meat, juice and grease dissolve and the overall meal is much more filling. I have done the same with other meat pates in MT House pasta based dishes. Add a tin of your favorite meat spread while it cooks and you add a great deal of calories. You have to really knead the bag like MRE Peanut butter, Then give it stir with your long spoon. It is worth the trouble :D

Chicken spread.JPG
Chicken spread.JPG (54.14 KiB) Viewed 951 times

steve1989
eBay name: :D

Postby steve1989 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:02 pm

Nice one, Housil! MH Chicken & Rice is a classic!

I am soon doing a video on a 1976-78 (Not fully sure of the year between those 2 there) LRP Chicken & Rice and I am wondering if Oregon Freeze Dried changed the recipe at all other than removing the MSG?

Norton, that is a brilliant addition to the entree - I wanna try that out someday! Cheap and effective addition!

Kman, I have yet to add hot sauce to this one, and I think it is about time I try that out as well! Maybe in my video I will "cheat" a little and add it half way after getting some bites in without it! :D
What is the oldest thing you've ever eaten?

Return to “Civilian MRE Reviews”