Alpine Air taste-off

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Wolfsbane

Alpine Air taste-off

Post by Wolfsbane » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:26 am

Our first round was Hawaiian style Teriyaki Chicken vs. Dijon Chicken, my wife and I shared and compared. Both are proudly labeled "lower sodium" - important to us, the % are in the mid-20's. HTC is built with rice, it rehydrated nicely, the taste was good and it was my wife's clear favorite. Dijon Chicken has bulgar and such instead of rice, it includes a fair amount of cheese and cream, but still has the more distinctly colorful veggie bits, it had the most MRE'ish look and texture BTW. In both the chicken component seemed understated, pieces were small but there was some in most every spoonful. Overall HTC was the winner, but I think that the DC could regain some ground if it was part of a full menu.

elandil

Re: Alpine Air taste-off

Post by elandil » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Good review, nice to see some of the civvy FD being reviewed.

Norton

Post by Norton » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:56 pm

Good review and I have never tried one of these. The details about getting a little bit of meat in every bite and the cream cheese part is important to me. I use FD meals on foot hikes in the mountains. I look forward to meal time as my highlight. So I select meals carefully.

housil

Post by housil » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:11 am

They are new to me so, thank you for reviewing! http://www.alpineaire.com/

I´m a big fan of FD too due to their almost unlimited shelf life. Preparing in the fields can become "difficult" as you always need to have (real) hot water.
The MH are great in taste, the German "EPa leicht" ones were a little bit bland to me :cry:

Wolfsbane

Post by Wolfsbane » Mon May 11, 2015 10:18 pm

Round Two of the Killgore family Alpine Aire taste-off !

The contenders - Brown Rice and Chicken with Vegetables versus Sierra Chicken - both "low sodium"

As before both are freeze-dried, fairly recently packed (these are the older look that is being replaced), and contain two servings.

Wolfsbane

Post by Wolfsbane » Mon May 11, 2015 10:33 pm

checking out the Brown Rice and Chicken with Vegetables

opened up we find

and when it was rehydrated

Wolfsbane

Post by Wolfsbane » Mon May 11, 2015 10:46 pm

Sierra Chicken has spiral pasta, corn, some mushroom and a little milk powder among it's ingredients.

to provide 60% of vitamin A, 100% of C, 40% of iron and 10% calcium.

and when reconstituted (I thought, more about that next)

Wolfsbane

Post by Wolfsbane » Tue May 12, 2015 1:16 pm

FYI we are at about 5200 ft elevation. I measured the boiled water, stirred and waited a few minutes longer than directions indicated - I also kinda kneaded and swished around the re-sealed pouches during that time. Again we split each pouch, actually taking only about a third each.

I liked them both. Not surprisingly the brown rice was good, really seemed no different from a name-brand boil-in-the-bag brown rice or the brown rice alternative from a certain fast food place we like. The peas and other veggie bits in the BRCV came back very good too, the peas were not too mushy. The chicken in both, just like the two from before, is diced small but certainly reconstituted well and there was enough for every spoonful. My Sierra Chicken was just a bit more tasty, the spiral pasta did a good job of holding the tomato sauce (which had a hint of creaminess I really enjoyed) plus the corn was nice, but I give both a thumbs up.
My wife also favored the Sierra Chicken, I think mostly because she's a fan of plain white rice and pastas HOWEVER she happened to get the second (deeper in) serving and her SC quickly revealed a few unpleasant un-reconstituuted bits ... I went back to the package on the stove top and found that the remaining portion (bottom and corners) was really badly unfinished -

I found plenty of still powdery seasonings and merely moistened tomato paste, I believe that this dish had over time settled such that it was a barrier to the water and that clearly I had not stirred deeply enough ... nothing that another cup of water wouldn't fix though !

Wolfsbane

Post by Wolfsbane » Tue May 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Also note that in my area these AlpineAire freeze-dried dishes, with two servings, are retailing for just under $8 each, I've been getting individual (and yummy) XMRE brand meals for about $9 locally (until they sold out recently) while a renown large sporting goods chain sells Meal-Kit Supply MRE's for about $10, overall I like having the variety of any fresh MRE over most "single note" FD pouches, to me they don't feel like a "meal".

Now obviously on a planned camping trip it's more economical to simply go to ones pantry and kitchen to prepare portions of grains and cereals, fresh or dried fruits, prep'ed vegetables, pre-cooked meats, condiments, snacks etc. - and car-camping even allows canned goods and a full sized stove or BBQ to be included - that's the way I like it.

But for a "cocked and locked" Bug-Out Bag I'm liking a mix of freeze-dried pouches and MRE's. Ideally I'd want a First Strike Ration, a coule of regular MREs and then maybe 4 or 5 pouches of freeze-dried (including a dessert) - or if I could ever get one a New Zealand made Back Country Cuisine brand "24 hour Emergency ration".