Japanese Curry in retort pouch

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Norton

Japanese Curry in retort pouch

Post by Norton » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:16 am

I found these retort pouch meals in an Asian grocery store.
They were made in Japan so I felt confident in the quality
The pouch contained potatoes, carrots, onions in a mild curry sauce.
I have never had curry before so I was a little worried as I had understood it was very spicy
My original intention was to use this meal with a retort pouch of SPAM and MRE yellow rice. But I had the starch with potatos and carrots so I needed something else;

So I dug through my 2006 MRE stash and found Country Captain Chicken.. Flavored with 'American' :oops: curry, so at least I was in the same flavor range.

Armed with the Captain's Chicken, Japan's curry, Germany's mess kit and French stove I headed to the river for a camping trip.
My side dish was spiced apples and corn bread.
Cooked boil in the bag on a home made Canteen cup stand heated with a French alcohol stove.
The Japanese curry flavor was spicy but all within tolerance for my American taste buds
Then Added the Made in USA Country Captain Chicken meal (Breaded? what were they thinking in 06'?)
The two actually made a great combination, plenty of vegetables and enough chicken to fill you up.
The Corn bread was also heated boil in bag, I tried a little with the curry and it was far to sweet.
So In mixed it with the cold Spiced apple slices, it tasted like apple pie filling. Very good desert.
One of the best I have eaten from a field ration. It would have went well with a Hot cup of coffee. But it is July and Coffee at 7.00 PM on river in July is not what you want. As for this curry , my thoughts after trying it are, it would be a very good base for canned chicken. Or combined with the MRE beef patty and the Mc Rib pork entree. The Japaneses spoon this over rice, but for me Potatoes and rice don't go together. This would go well with meat
Attachments
IMG_7906.JPG
Good product
IMG-20140705-01971.jpg
Pouch of Curry, Captains Chicken, Corn Bread and Apple slices
IMG-20140705-01974.jpg
Cooking up in a mix of European equipment
IMG-20140705-01977.jpg
Curry in mess tin
IMG-20140705-01978.jpg
Apple Slices Spiced and Hot Corn bread

laughing_man

Re: Japanese Curry in retort pouch

Post by laughing_man » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:53 pm

S&B is a food manufacturer in Japan famous for curry.
And Japanese people love curry :D

rattattoo

Post by rattattoo » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:54 pm

I can almost always find retort pouches of Indian curries and other Indian food in the food department over at The-Fell-Off-a-Truck-Stop. They only run $2.00 US and have an excellent shelf-life.
The best thing is that they are very favorful without being too hot [no next morning regrets] and as vegetarian meals they fill in for the lack of veggies in standard issue MREs. The only downside is that the sauce/gravy tends to be "thin". You want something along to soak up the excess. [Couscous works great because it cooks so quickly. Much faster than rices]]
IMG_3006.JPG
The last time I went I grabbed something new... a retort pouch of Grilled Chicken from Tyson brands [well regarded here stateside] and two shaker/grinders of Asian spices.My plan is to combine the chicken with the Saag Paneer and side-dish the Dal... gourmet dinner for two!
IMG_3007.JPG
The multi-pak one combines "Far East"[?... we'll see...] with Greek, Thai, and Provencial blends.
I shake these kind of seasonings out onto a sheet of paper, pour them into 3" plastic straw segments and seal the ends with a lighter. [...you just pinch them closed with a pair of needle-nose, and flame off an 1/8" at each end. You can make up a half dozen in a couple of minutes] Since, I know what I'm taking for food, I can toss in a couple of seasonings that will bring the end-product up a notch or two really easily with next to no weight or bulk added into the pack-out.

rattattoo

Post by rattattoo » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:07 pm

BTW to Norton: If you lack experience with curries... they go best with chicken and seafood, and lamb is absolutely excellent! They just don't do much with beef and pork... don't know why. Try one with some of the store-bought retort pouch Pink Salmon. That ought to be a fine combo!
[Or the #24 Buffalo Chicken from a couple of years ago]

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Post by Ruleryak » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:47 pm

rattattoo wrote:I shake these kind of seasonings out onto a sheet of paper, pour them into 3" plastic straw segments and seal the ends with a lighter.
Awesome spice-mix-to-go advice, thanks!

Horsesoldier

Post by Horsesoldier » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:45 am

Japanese curries are usually pretty mild compared to Indian and Thai ones, where some of that spice pain takes the heat out of being in the tropics. They're all pretty tasty, in my opinion, though I like a range of heat levels.