Mountain House Wraps filling

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
Treesuit

Mountain House Wraps filling

Post by Treesuit » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:54 am

Hey everyone,

I was thinking the other day that it would be kind of fun to do a food review of the Mountain House Wraps filling. Mountain House has had these on the market for awhile and I think somebody briefly mentioned these in another thead last year. Well, I was at my local REI outdoors store this weekend checking out the clearance items and they had some (more like very few) Mountain House pre-packaged food on sale. I saw one of the Wraps filling pouches and since Chicken Salad sounded good, I figured I'll give it a shot and let the rest of you know.

So, with this it's basically easy to prepare. You rip the top off, add 10 fluid oz (or 250 ml) of hot water, let sit and then stir. Pretty easy. The first impressions after adding the hot water and stirring were questionable, but since I had to go to work I figured I'd let it sit for a few hours and then check it again. After 6 hours, it looked a bit better but more like off white, with a tinge of yellow coloring but it had thickened up. I could definitely smell the chicken and see some the cranberries, pumpkins seeds, and there was a wiff of onions to round the contents out, but not much else.

The consistency was somewhat thick, not like what you would find at a supermarket deli or backyard BBQ event but close. For tortillas I used up 4 MRE tortillas and I must say they fell apart pretty quick, so I would make a suggestion to bring bigger, heartier ones from the market. I had just enough filling for the 4 tortillas and that was it. The calories on the filling packet said it was only about 130 probabaly not enough for some but for me I threw in some chips and a drink and I was satisfied for the rest of the afternoon. I was involved in heavy physical exertion so I was pretty satisfied all day.

My basic conclusion to this was it was okay food, not the best, but not utterly replusive. The filling is a good idea to the mainstream freeze dried food that the company puts out, as a low cost alternative (i.e. chicken salad vs. beef stew or lasagna). And since I bought this on clearance it did provide more bang for the buck. I think this would be more prefered as an low cost addition to food supplies, storage or using it to hit the trail backpacking or hunting. It certainly does require very much prep time and totrtillas are very shelf stable and can fill a person up for not a whole lot of money. I know we don't talk that much about the civilian freeze dried foods here on the forum but I think this could start a new trend on how we look at backpacker food.
Attachments
IMGP1274.JPG
What the outside look like and the type of filling
IMGP1275.JPG
After adding 250ml of hot water and stirring
IMGP1278.JPG
Final product on a MRE tortilla, 2 scoops worth

HungryMan

Re: Mountain House Wraps filling

Post by HungryMan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks for the review and pics, Treesuit; I would also hope that your taking the initiative here encourages more reviews in this category.

Mountain House is evidently right in the middle of constructing a new production facility and it would be nice to hear some opinions on production coming off of either line in the future. For being #1 in the industry for decades now, it is surprisingly difficult to find a site that comprehensively reviews what they have to offer or which has members with the insight that this group brings to the table.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Hungryman,

Well thank you, I try to put out some variety on different foods I think most members would enjoy or would like to know more about. Like I mentioned Mountain House has been a leader in freeze dried food both in the civilian community and through military contracts. When they do put something new out I sometimes want to try it but with the cost involved in one entree it makes it discouraging. I was a bit lucky that I got this one on clearance at REI. Most times I go there and MH foods are pretty spendy.

As for a new production line, HUNGRYMAN, I had not heard of that. I guess with the increase in disaster prepardness and food shortages I would venture most people are stocking up. OR it might be that MRE's are getting too expensive or hard to find on the market right now and some people are switching. But through my experience is that MH has always had a bigger stake in the market for this type pf food so therefore they can set whatever price they want but I have seen other freeze dried foods start to surface so maybe that means the price on MH foods might come down.

If anyone has some comments or would like to see more reviews of MH products I'd be happy to reaserch anything and post it here.

HungryMan

Post by HungryMan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Not to get off-topic...but from what I understand, this new line is apparently in response to situations such as the following playing out over the past year or so: http://safecastle.blogspot.com/2010/12/ ... -long.html

Whether or not pricing will stay in check is obviously anybody's guess; yet I agree and found it difficult to purchase at anything but a heavy discount also (when you compare the calories to MREs...).

hannonmc

Post by hannonmc » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:00 pm

I actually picked up the Mountain House Beef BBQ and Buffalo Chicken Wrap filling meals a month ago at REI.

Once I actually use one, I'll make sure to post a review... Which brings me to my dilemma.

I'm doing a backpacking trip this weekend and am trying to figure out what I want to take for food.

For a 24HR stay, which option to choose?

1) Mountain House - Lasagana pro-pack / wrap fillings as above with store tortillas.
2) MREs - Variety from 2006 / 2007 / 2010
3) RCIR
4) Treesuit's FSR

HungryMan

Post by HungryMan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:47 pm

For the sake of possibly ever developing a (reliable) database on these meals...I vote for the MH and a similar review (or whatever you have the time for).

As much as I prefer MREs (especially Treesuit's FSR) over this category of extended shelf life food; I believe that many must be choosing the latter or we wouldn't see the demand. 30 plus years storage life is hard to argue with; yet the lack of a reliable source for information on these products is getting somewhat ridiculous in this day and age. :?

Cracker
eBay name: tedtielemans

Post by Cracker » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:57 am

Mountainhouse is a renomed brand (haven't really had a chance to thoroughly test in here..) but this one just doesn't really look appetizing for how far that influences the product offcourse.
The thing with "just add coldwater" just doesn't work. It will always take longer then hot water.. It's practical if it works offcourse, but then it actually has to work (without waiting hours).

I would consider this a no buy for myself after te review. There are many other mountainhouse menus though, that I would really like to try after the reviews.
The review however, is very clear and detailed.. nice job on the review :D
Sure, someone may one day kill me with my own gun.
But they'll have to beat me to death with it because it's empty.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:36 pm

Well after reading a few posts here I'll do a quick comment on each.

Hannonmc- well if you going into the backcountry or woods then, of course I would recommend my FSIR for a 24 hour period. :lol: Just to keep things practical and be easy for yourself. Then again some MRE's would be my next choice. The MH meals would be great if you had some prep time and weren't going full throttle on the trails.

Hungryman- let me say that I do believe there is a lof of information out there on MH meals but it all centers around the civilian backpackers, mountaineers, and other folks with little or no ties to the military. Just pick up a copy of the latest "Backpacker" magazine and you'll find some great food reviews. The reason there might not be enough info here is just that nobody has reported on MH meals before and, we as a forum, are kind of ignoring that slice of shelf stable food or "rations". Also I mentioned there are many other brands out there that haven't even been given a glimpse or nod here as well. Again I think that we are missing something but not putting a food review here.

Cracker- okay so it doesn't look appealing, no matter. I still was going to eat, and if I had to I would snack on it again. This, to me, is a more smaller version of a main MH meal and it didn't require very much to put together. I've often talked to more experienced backpackers and climbers and several have told me that tortillas are the most economical and easy to store food you can take into the backcountry that will not spoil. On another note most have told me that MRE's are too full of fat, and preservatives and they would not even eat an MRE let alone take one on a trip. That, in my opinion, is a short sighted mentality or way of thinking. If one person or group were going on a patrol, long drive, or into the backcountry I alone would consider ease and then price in my food choices.

dirtbag

Post by dirtbag » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Treesuit wrote: On another note most have told me that MRE's are too full of fat, and preservatives and they would not even eat an MRE let alone take one on a trip. That, in my opinion, is a short sighted mentality or way of thinking. If one person or group were going on a patrol, long drive, or into the backcountry I alone would consider ease and then price in my food choices.
Yes, but most, if not all long distance hikers lose substantial weight on the trail, because they eat like they do at home, when they're bone idle.
Hiking burns 4000-5000 calories per day, so the extra calories and fat are needed!
This is just common sense!
Just tell them that MRE's were designed for real men, humping enormous loads through god-awful country, while being shot at...
Not namby-pamby trail posers...
:mrgreen:
Besides, that leaves more for us! :lol:
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:10 am

Treesuit, I think you'll love to try some romanian made Lavash bread, made by Lebanese emigrants here. It's like Jumbo size tortillas... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavash
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...