Food Packet, Survival, ST-4 1956 DoP Full Review!

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
Auxiliaryjohn
eBay name: Auxiliaryjohn

Re: Food Packet, Survival, ST-4 1956 DoP Full Review!

Postby Auxiliaryjohn » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:54 pm

Well...at least they weren't Charms. :mrgreen:
I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.
US Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Norton

Postby Norton » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:14 am

Great review and it is amazing the Jelly bars are still good. They look fresh for the most part. Was this an USAF Air Crew packet or a Naval issue item? Did the US Army USMC have them as part of a Helicopter and fixed wing equipment

I do remember Chuckles from the 1960's. The Jelly bars do look like Chuckles and that helps me figure out what they would taste like.
So I guess the idea was have a high energy food that could be eaten in small portions 1 piece at a time. With the gum to hold hunger over until the next piece. Coffee and Tea for morning and evening. That tin could also be used for collecting or boiling water.
Has anyone seen the U.S. issue Survival malt dextrose tablets. Would have they been issued around the same time?

dirtbag

Postby dirtbag » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:02 pm

The WW2 (and later) lifeboat rations also had the jelly bars, as well as a pack of lucky strike cigarettes and pouches of super salty bouillon powder.
I never understood the soup powder, as it consumes water and was essentially pure salt.
there were also plastic fresh water stills you tossed over the side which supposedly distilled fresh water from the sea.
Plus some canned water.
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Postby Ruleryak » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:08 am

Those Jelly Bars look tasty! The only survival can I opened so far had fruitcake bars in it. I've eaten two of the three now and a few friends have had a bite, but they weren't 100% awesome after 50+ years. Some of the bits of fruit had gone strange, but it was still edible overall.

steve1989
eBay name: :D

Postby steve1989 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:57 pm

Norton wrote:Great review and it is amazing the Jelly bars are still good. They look fresh for the most part. Was this an USAF Air Crew packet or a Naval issue item? Did the US Army USMC have them as part of a Helicopter and fixed wing equipment

I do remember Chuckles from the 1960's. The Jelly bars do look like Chuckles and that helps me figure out what they would taste like.
So I guess the idea was have a high energy food that could be eaten in small portions 1 piece at a time. With the gum to hold hunger over until the next piece. Coffee and Tea for morning and evening. That tin could also be used for collecting or boiling water.
Has anyone seen the U.S. issue Survival malt dextrose tablets. Would have they been issued around the same time?

Thank you as always for the feedback, Norton!

I think the Food Packet, Survival is the father of Food Packet, Survival General Purpose - and I only get those from guys that are connected in some way to the Air Force and 2 in particular that has modern US Survival gear as well: http://www.ebay.com/usr/downtown24
http://www.ebay.com/usr/warriorsrus

The ST & SA food packets are certainly able to hold water after opened, and the food is for slow consumption and is non thirst provoking.

I mean, I suppose these rations could either be Air Force OR Navy. Both have the need for these kinds of survival rations if you ask me - really any troops going over bodies of water should have something like the GP Food Packet Survival or similar.

As for Malt Dextrose Tablets, I think I can help ya on that.. I am doing a photo set on another US Survival ration, and this one is from 1951 - will work on that now.. I think I have your Mated Milk Tablets/Malt Dextrose Tabs in those..!

Rattatoo & Dirbag: Thank you fellas for your responses! Rattatoo, I love these old rations, glad you could check it out man!
Dirtbag, I tried to buy one of those WW2 Lifeboat rations with the Lucky Strikes - went for too much $!
I hear ya, why on Earth ddi they put a salty beverage in a survival ration!?! Silly if you ask me!
What is the oldest thing you've ever eaten?

Return to “Other US Ration Reviews”