1990'S RCW BAG B MENU#6-Freeze Dried Spaghetti with Sauce

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
Bypah

1990'S RCW BAG B MENU#6-Freeze Dried Spaghetti with Sauce

Postby Bypah » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Well my wife went out to do some errands and I decided to have one of my RCW entrees from my stash.
It was 20 plus years Spaghetti and Meat Sauce from Menu#6 of a RCW Bag B. :wink:
This was a made by Oregon Freeze , the makers of the Mountain House freeze foods which are also good.
The first thing I checked for any tears or "pinholes" and it went ok.
When I tried to open it, it was so well sealed that it was a little difficult to open the packet but I did it using one of my "battle axes". :lol: :lol: :lol:
Once I was able to break the seal the first thing that came up was a nice smell of fresh tomato/spaghetti sauce. It looked and smell ok.
The noodles were very small and the dry meat was like little round pieces. I tasted it before adding the water and tasted fine. Before adding the water I checked the bag for possible holes. The cardboard that is glued to the bag was ok too. Then I added the hot water. It said to use 12oz but I used less that that about 9oz and still the spaghettis looked kind of soupy but ant the end they thickened up a bit. There was one problem, once the bag was full of water and mixed when I used the cardboard to pin the bag it was difficult to put the bag full back in the foil package it only went half way thru. :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol:
I waited 5 minutes and at the end the smell was great. It smelled like freshly made spaghettis and the taste was awesome. Flavor wise it tasted like something home made with a nice blend of spices. A little bit salty for me since I barely use salt but it was very good and very filling. As I always say when it comes to the RCW/MCW they pack a lot of food enough for two. :wink:
I ended using a big bowl and was full to the rim. Even my dog enjoyed some. :mrgreen:
Over all is a nice entrée for a 20 plus year old.
8)
IMG_20140801_132733.jpg
RCW Bag B Menu#6 Spaghetti and Meat Sauce

IMG_20140801_132816.jpg
Revise on 9-95

IMG_20140801_132907.jpg
This was the hassle of the old RCW entrees. The bag and the cardboard.

IMG_20140801_132841.jpg
the dry entree. It looked and tasted ok.

IMG_20140801_133052.jpg

IMG_20140801_133209.jpg

IMG_20140801_133554.jpg
After 5 minutes and the smell was awesome.

IMG_20140801_133751.jpg
It filled the bowl up to the rim. As I mentioned this could easily feed two people.

IMG_20140801_133742.jpg

IMG_20140801_134422.jpg
Even my dog liked it.

Peace!
:mrgreen:
"Live long and prosper..."

housil

Re: 1990'S RCW BAG B MENU#6-Freeze Dried Spaghetti with Sauc

Postby housil » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:40 pm

What a great sacrifice :wink:
A 19 years old RCW.
What´s the thing about that card board?

Ruleryak
eBay name: ruleryak

Postby Ruleryak » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Looks a bit soupy like you said, but very good for the age! Normally I'd let something like this soak for 15 minutes - why did you go with 5? Was it completely hydrated by that time?

Bypah

Postby Bypah » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:41 pm

housil wrote:What a great sacrifice :wink:
A 19 years old RCW.
What´s the thing about that card board?

Olli, I opened the original 2 bagged ration a long time ago. Ate most of it and saved this one.
I also have an old chicken and rice also.

The cardboard? If you noticed on the photo before adding water the meal bag is attached to a similar board at the bottom. Once you add water you use the other cardboard to hold the bag closed so you can put it inside the foil package to keep warm.
The new ones are just a simple bag that you just add water and simply fold them to rehydrate. I like the new ones better is less of a mess and more manageable.
Last edited by Bypah on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bypah

Postby Bypah » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:45 pm

Ruleryak wrote:Looks a bit soupy like you said, but very good for the age! Normally I'd let something like this soak for 15 minutes - why did you go with 5? Was it completely hydrated by that time?

After 5-6 minutes it was fully rehydrated and eatable It looks like that on the pic but actually the sauce was thick and rich. For some reason it thickened after letting it set down a bit.

noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Postby noderaser » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:31 pm

Bypah wrote:The cardboard? If you noticed on the photo before adding water the meal bag is attached to a similar board at the bottom. Once you add water you use the other cardboard to hold the bag closed so you can put it inside the foil package to keep warm.
The cardboard should have a perforated "O" ring that you pop out, and use to keep the bag closed. You shouldn't actually have to separate the cardboard from the bag, it's glued there so the bag has a base and doesn't slide around too much. It's the same system they used to use on the commercial Mountain House meals, though I think they've changed that one as well--been a while since I've bought any.
I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

housil

Postby housil » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:25 am

noderaser wrote:
Bypah wrote: It's the same system they used to use on the commercial Mountain House meals, though I think they've changed that one as well--been a while since I've bought any.

I never saw that at commercial MHs.

Bypah

Postby Bypah » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:57 pm

noderaser wrote:
Bypah wrote:The cardboard? If you noticed on the photo before adding water the meal bag is attached to a similar board at the bottom. Once you add water you use the other cardboard to hold the bag closed so you can put it inside the foil package to keep warm.
The cardboard should have a perforated "O" ring that you pop out, and use to keep the bag closed. You shouldn't actually have to separate the cardboard from the bag, it's glued there so the bag has a base and doesn't slide around too much. It's the same system they used to use on the commercial Mountain House meals, though I think they've changed that one as well--been a while since I've bought any.

Yes, the bag had that carboard glues under neath and the other carboard with the " O" was separated. If you see the pics you can see the bag with the cardboard holding it close.

Bypah

Postby Bypah » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:00 pm

Olli, the commercial MH's don't have this. This was a feature made for the old RCW's which they don't use in the new MCW's.
When I meant the "system" I meant the food. :roll: :wink:
But Oregon Freeze still produces freeze dried food for the US military.

noderaser
eBay name: noderaser

Postby noderaser » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:21 am

Bypah wrote:Olli, the commercial MH's don't have this.

I respectfully disagree... And here's the evidence, pulled out of storage:

And here's the use of the ring, as described on the package...

And said ring in use, removed from the cardboard and used to secure the bag.

I'm using my computer's spare resources to help find cures for diseases, analyze astronomical data, render 3D animations, simulate new materials and run climate models--what is your computer doing? http://boinc.berkeley.edu/ Or ask me for help!

Return to “Other US Ration Reviews”