MCW Beef Stroganoff

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
housil

Re: MCW Beef Stroganoff

Postby housil » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:40 pm

rationtin440 wrote: but the water issue was similar to what was encountered in Vietnam with the LURP rations, according to many veterans' accounts.

I agree, the biggest drawback with freeze dried rations is the need of hot (!) water. Once you melt e.g. snow on a tommy/ESBIT cooker with your canteen cup and could pour it in, how do you keep it hot and allow it to soak? If you are in winter environment, it´s cold. That´s will cool down the ration real quick I guess. (We only had regular EPas at winter training)

I like the freeze dried ones for their almost unlimited shelf life and their non-weight but as you guy´s mentioned, you can´t eat them un"cooked"

dirtbag

Postby dirtbag » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:58 pm

In cold weather, after adding the hot water, place the ration inside:
1) your wooly hat
2) spare clothes
3) a pocket

My fav is the pocket.
That way you can put your hand in there at the same time. :D
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

Name_not_found

Postby Name_not_found » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Massive headaches are also par for eating these dry, they suck the water right out of your body if you dont use enough to cook it.
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA

mreheater72

Postby mreheater72 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi guys,

first of all Olli thank you for your great review about the complete MCW "Beef Stroganoff" Ration :D . My photos that follow will only show the entrée.

If you can pour the food on a plate it is no problem to open the pouch on the upper end for reconstituting (with a knife). But I´m not sure how to open the pouch in the field :? . The pouch has "tear marks" for opening lengthwise. That is ok for eating, but I guess it is difficult to close the pouch after adding water for reconstituting :? !?

I only added about 14 ounces of water (instead of 16 ounces that are recommended). But even the 14 ounces are two much as you can see on the photos :? . The amount of food it amazing :o , you have to have much hunger to eat that :) . The taste was great, but too much sauce according to my taste. I guess adding about 12 ounces of water would be enough :!: .

So long mreheater72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"

Return to “Other US Ration Reviews”