Collection of ACCESSORY PACKETS from different US Rations

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
norge

Re: Collection of ACCESSORY PACKETS from different US Rations

Post by norge » Sat May 15, 2010 4:09 pm

the coffe pouch is the same as the c ration accessory from 1966
so its not 1980s accessory pack,it migth be from late 1960 to maybe mid 1970s.
just my gues based on pictures and personal info. :D

and i must say again,mreheather72 you have a fantastic collection!!!!!!!! :D :D

cheers ken

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sat May 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Biscuts Brown-

Thanks for the update on that. Like I said I just ventured a guess on it but it is fascinating to know about this. Was there any mention of a colder weather ration developing at Natick before 1950? I say this because of the cold weather experiences in Germany in WWII must have initiated some thought or idea about a certain type of ration with more caloric intake than the standard MCI/C and how to store them. I can recall a publication I saw in 1992 about the older cold weather rations and how to prpoerly order and store them.

MREheater72- Again you amaze us! That clear plastic A-pack is a very good find. To me it looks like maybe 1970's vintage and a early production item for group rations. I have seen similar a-packs in other group feeding rations like UGR modules. Though with not as much items in them. Personally I have not seen UGR's in about a year or so I can't acurately say for sure if this might have been an early attempt or even make a comparison. But it would be fun to find out.

biscuits brown

Post by biscuits brown » Sat May 15, 2010 6:28 pm

Hiya Treesuit well I only found out about the B ration allocation a few weeks ago, on the QM website in an article called Food Service, Korea. They were really switched on about the weather conditions, and it takes up a lot of clothing QM discussion of the time. They were into multi layered clothing, the US army was really insistent on that method. Also trench foot and foot care.
I think it must have come from experiences in WW2 in Italy and the Ardennes, just as you say.

The only 1950 cold weather ration I can find is this Ration, Individual, trail, frigid, that I thought Hagens pack was. Wrong! :roll:

This was designed for small groups, patrols, and each ration weighed 3lbs. It came in 3 meal units.
It had dehydrated meat and cereal bars, cookies, crackers, nuts and raisins, chocolate, hard candy and gum and lots of beverages. It gave 4500 cal minimum. Its like the direct ancestor of the RCW or getting closer to the LRP ration concept.
It seems really advanced for the late 40s.
Last edited by biscuits brown on Sat May 15, 2010 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sat May 15, 2010 8:23 pm

Biscuts Brown-

Fantastic job on the research, I find myself more intrigued by this. I do remember seeing a small quip about that cold weather ration here on the forum some time ago where one of us posted a link about Natick's publication on ration development through the 20th century. I think it was in the 50's or 60's that I saw the article on the ration but by the next publication I wasn't there so I gather Natick discontinued it for whatever reason. It's pecuilar that we have never seen some of those other exotic rations come up. Any pics of it?

biscuits brown

Post by biscuits brown » Tue May 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi Treesuit. This is the Ration, Individual, trail, frigid from the 1950 Natick labs cataloge
ration individual trail frigid.jpg
ration trail frigid wording.jpg
Last edited by biscuits brown on Tue May 18, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Tue May 18, 2010 8:17 pm

BB,

Yep, that's it all right. That's what I saw. It's a really fascinating look at what Natick had either in mind or going on at the time. And your right, after looking at the contents it does resemble a early LRP, or RCW ration. Amazing!

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Hi guys,

here an additional MRE Accessory Packet, version "A", packed by RIGHT AWAY FOODS CORP.. I guess the Date of Pack is in the late eighties or the early nineties.

So long mreheater72
"QUIDQUID AGIS PRUDENTER AGAS ET RESPICE FINEM"

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:58 pm

Look here, that´s really crazy :shock: :shock: :shock: :

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0662534007

So long mreheater72

biscuits brown

Post by biscuits brown » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:56 pm

$292 and in poor condition? Its a C4 accessory tin, yours is much better Hagen!

mreheater72

Post by mreheater72 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi guys,

I have one more (opened) Accessory Packet in my collection (referring to the contents, I guess it could be out of a Food Packet, In-Flight Individual). The CAN OPENER manufatured by KAY TOOL & DIE INC. gives some clue go the age: The early sixties.

ACCESSORY PACKET

CAN OPENER
CHEWING GUM
SUGAR
CREAM
SALT
COFFEE
PAPER NAPKIN
PAPER TOWEL
SPOON

Packed by VAN BRODE MILLING CO., INC.
CLINTON, MASS.

The following photos show the contents, the PAPER NAPKIN and the PAPER TOWEL is missing. The pouches of the SUGAR, CREAM and SALT look not really military, they appear as commercial (???).

The SPOON I will show more detailed in the thread “US Ration Spoons”.

So long mreheater72