Meal Combat Individual: CAKE Taste Test

Reviews of other US rations - MCW, LRP, MCI, FSR, etc.
mreheater72

Meal Combat Individual: CAKE Taste Test

Postby mreheater72 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:27 am

Hi guys,

the next days I want to open five different MCI cake cans, all produced between 1978 or 1979. I hope that the contents are in a condition, which allows tasting. I'm curious about it.

Here the five aspirants for testing:

Cinnamon Nut Roll, Chocolate Nut Roll, Orange Nut Roll, Pound Cake and Fruit Cake.

All cans are from the outside appearance in a very good condition (no corrosion, no other spots, no damages or punctures). I will not open the cans as usual with a can opener, but with abrasive paper. So the destruction of the cans can be minimized and they can stay in my collection even after opening and refilling.

So long mreheater72

kman
Site Admin

Postby kman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:59 am

That looks cool, mreheater72. If you can take lots of pictures, I'd be happy to put up your reviews in the new Reviews section:

http://www.mreinfo.com/reviews/mre/

They can go right next to my 26-year old Fruit Cake review. :-)

mreheater72

Postby mreheater72 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:16 pm

kman wrote:That looks cool, mreheater72. If you can take lots of pictures, I'd be happy to put up your reviews in the new Reviews section:

http://www.mreinfo.com/reviews/mre/

They can go right next to my 26-year old Fruit Cake review. :-)

I´m feeling honored :oops:! I would be happy if you use my pictures! :D

So long mreheater72

BigMark

Postby BigMark » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:42 pm

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but he's going to use sand paper to open them, which will be less destructive than a regular can opener? You need to get one of the can openers that opens on the sides, and lets you put the top back on as a lid. http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/1t ... pener.html

Sorry to add a link with popups, but it best displays what I'm talking about. :oops:

mreheater72

Postby mreheater72 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:26 am

BigMark wrote:Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but he's going to use sand paper to open them, which will be less destructive than a regular can opener? You need to get one of the can openers that opens on the sides, and lets you put the top back on as a lid. http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/1t ... pener.html

Sorry to add a link with popups, but it best displays what I'm talking about. :oops:

BigMark, thank you for your link!

Sorry, but in my opinion opening the can with that can opener in your link causes more damage as with abrasive paper. The can opener leaves riffles in the inner brim of the can.

The photos below show a can opened with abrasive paper and closed with superglue:

You have you take an exact look to recognize that the can was opened sometimes.

So long mreheater72

housil

Postby housil » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:44 am

mreheater72 wrote:(...)
Sorry, but in my opinion opening the can with that can opener in your link causes more damage as with abrasive paper. The can opener leaves riffles in the inner brim of the can.

Have you ever tryed to use a Flex (German synonym for angle sander)

with a Schwabbelscheibe (sry, no idea what that means in english) instead the sanding disc:

I guess you put the sand paper on a desk and move the can over it to grind down the seam (Bördelrand).

Try with the Flex on the desk up side downand press the can soft on the rotating rubber disc with the sand paper on it.
Take care, if the metal gets to hot, it turns blue/yellow etc. at a temperature over 200°C the oxygen of the air will react with the "hot" surface of the metal can and causing that color (Anlassfarben).

BigMark

Postby BigMark » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:51 am

I stand corrected, I never would have thought using sandpaper to open a can, even with a disc sander like that would have been more efficient that using one of those can openers. Live and learn.

housil

Postby housil » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:18 am

BigMark wrote:I stand corrected, I never would have thought using sandpaper to open a can, even with a disc sander like that would have been more efficient that using one of those can openers. Live and learn.

It´s not that ordenary "...open a can..."
It´s that restoring "open a can, replace the contant and let it looks like never been opend - thing"

Thats it why Hagen sand papers them instead of using a can opener...

mreheater72

Postby mreheater72 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:43 am

housil wrote:
BigMark wrote:I stand corrected, I never would have thought using sandpaper to open a can, even with a disc sander like that would have been more efficient that using one of those can openers. Live and learn.

It´s not that ordenary "...open a can..."
It´s that restoring "open a can, replace the contant and let it looks like never been opend - thing"

Thats it why Hagen sand papers them instead of using a can opener...

Olli, thanks for clarification. Regular cans I certainly open with an ordinary can opener! But a MCI-can is for me a collectible that has to be preserved. So I open it, dispose the contents, fill them identical in weight and close them with superglue. So the can is “conserved“ a long time by correct storing!

Olli, the idea to open it with a “Flex” is a good, thanks, because opening with abrasive paper by hand is very labor-intensive. I will try it next time.

Saturday I will open the first cake!

Best wishes mreheater72

mreheater72

Postby mreheater72 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:02 am

Hi guys,

last Sunday, 10/21/2007, I opened the “Cinnamon Nut Roll” and the “Chocolate Nut Roll”.

The “Cinnamon Nut Roll” was packed March 30 1979 (30039) by EUNICE KING’S KITCHEN, INC, SHERMAN TEXAS 75090, it was nearly 29 years old when opened.

The lid was pushed to inside of the can when opening with abrasive paper, that showed me, that the vacuum was still there :D .

The appearance was absolute ok (even the filling is visible), the smell of cinnamon was there :D , although a little bit soapy :cry: !

Now the taste test: I cut off a cube with about 1 cm edge length. I can describe the taste the following way: A little bit of cinnamon, but also soapy, bitter and rancid. The nuts have become a brown colour during the years. All in all the cake was not eatable any more :cry: !

Here are the photos:

Here is a photo from the inside of the empty “Cinnamon Nut Roll” can, very good condition with no corrosion, like a "new" one.

See you next time with the “Chocolate Nut Roll” mreheater72

Return to “Other US Ration Reviews”