Newbie comments on Menu 19 – Beef Patty, Jalapeno Pepper Jack

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
Shadowrunner

Newbie comments on Menu 19 – Beef Patty, Jalapeno Pepper Jack

Post by Shadowrunner » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:09 pm

Menu 19 – Beef Patty, Jalapeno Pepper Jack

OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE TFF: This cookie was as good as any crisp cookie you’re ever going to find pre-packaged in a U.S. civilian grocery store. It’s very thick and oversized like a novelty soft-bake cookie, but extremely crumbly and crisp in a very pleasant way. Often in civilian stores, pre-packaged crunchy cookies are terrible and fail at the texture, giving us something that’s brittle and has a stale mouth feel unless they were manufactured very recently (chips-ahoy, anyone?), but Sterling Foods gets the texture right with this one. It uses thick, square chunks of chocolate for the chips in a generous ratio to the rest of the cookie.

BEEF PATTY, JALAPENO: Like the sausage patty, it’s a thick, square brick of densely pressed particle meat that’s firm and tough. There’s a slight smell to it that smells like they added something fishy, but it doesn’t carry over in to the taste. You can taste enough of that tell-tale iron in the meat to know you’re eating beef, but there’s hardly any flavor at all, and you’ll be glad the jalapeno bits cut through the blandness and heat your tongue. You don’t taste any jack cheese, just the peppers. I was left wondering why they didn’t heavily salt the meat. The meal comes with a pair of tortillas, mustard and ketchup, and a packet of cheese spread with bacon. The bacon cheese spread rescues what would otherwise be something difficult to choke down. I don’t like process cheese and after my first bite of plain patty I dove for the packet and applied it liberally, thanking god for it.

CHEESE SPREAD WITH BACON: I don’t usually like process cheese, but you can actually feel tiny bacon bits in this when you swallow it, and the flavor from them permeates the cheese all the way through. If you like process cheese spread you’ll probably love this. Very savory, and the bacon doesn’t come off as cheaply artificial. After embracing it for my patty I’d be willing to eat it again with no complaints.

TORTILLAS, PLAIN: There’s not much good to say about Sterling Foods’ MRE tortillas. They’re thin, and tough. Flavorless even compared to other plain white flour tortillas, and the necessity of folding them crisply and sealing them tightly makes them easy to accidentally crack in the middle so they rip when you unfold them. Honestly, knowing that MRE buns do exist, these are a questionable addition to the meal. The gov't must be cutting corners with ease of production & supply or something.

CHERRY BLUEBERRY COBBLER: This was a morale booster. It was pretty standard as per the label as far as the flavor goes. It’s not going to make you home sick for a family dessert, but you can taste the short bread, blueberries and cherries as separate ingredients enough to know they’re all there. The only thing I didn’t really notice was the pecan. It’s all blended well in to a mostly smooth consistency, but you do see nice chunks of short bread. They’re just not able to retain texture in the pouch, so most of it blends right in to the fruit syrup as you stir. It more or less tastes, looks and has the mouth feel of the inside of a cheap grocery store bakery pie, in a good way.

Peanut M&M’s: Nice to see a commercially packaged treat in a gov’t MRE! The sight of the yellow packet should cheer up any soldier living through the monotony of standard-issue-drab, gov’t issue everything. If you’re from a country that doesn’t have these, they’re a very mild milk chocolate without much cocoa flavor, which is standard for American chocolate. There’s a peanut in the middle and a thin, crunchy sugar shell on the outside that gives them a fun crunch.

BEVERAGE BASE ORANGE TYPE III: It tastes more like Sunny Delight or Tang than it does orange juice or orange sports drink. An interesting smooth body and mellow flavor, especially given that it’s a 5 calorie beverage with no form of sugar syrup in it that normally gives these kinds of beverages those attributes. I suspect it’s the calcium lactate gluconate. Alkaline from the calcium derivative smoothing out the tartness and adding body, etc.

Tips: Don’t waste your time with a square hamburger patty being put in flimsy, round tortillas along with visually unappealing cheese spread. Heat your patty. Leave it in the pouch, dump the grease. Add your mustard & ketchup in to the pouch if you want it and squeeze it around to mix and coat the patty. Eat the patty from the pouch like a push-pop and add the cheese spread to each bite. Save the tortillas for emergency calories. Everything else in this meal is well suited to straight from the pouch, on the go eating.

Accessory packet included Coffee, Instant, type III with non-dairy creamer.

RockyRaab

Re: Newbie comments on Menu 19 – Beef Patty, Jalapeno Pepper Jack

Post by RockyRaab » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:57 am

What's the date on that meal? Both of the #19 meals I've eaten came with a double pack of MRE bread. The meal is essentially a bacon cheeseburger with two desserts. Or is intended to be; it's a pretty sad cheeseburger. It's comparable to a real one in the way that MRE pizza compares to the real thing. Which is to say, badly. If you were served either one in a burger or pizza joint, you'd send it back and leave.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:26 am

I agree that it not the best, but i think any new mre hobbyist should give it a try...to see how uncle sam takes the parts from 2000 cows and smashes them together.
For me, the bacon cheese made this ration worth it
"Little ducks, there's trouble in Russia, so they called us"
Video Reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfB4TN ... bNi1TwQF5w

Shadowrunner

Post by Shadowrunner » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:30 pm

RockyRaab wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:57 am
What's the date on that meal? Both of the #19 meals I've eaten came with a double pack of MRE bread. The meal is essentially a bacon cheeseburger with two desserts. Or is intended to be; it's a pretty sad cheeseburger. It's comparable to a real one in the way that MRE pizza compares to the real thing. Which is to say, badly. If you were served either one in a burger or pizza joint, you'd send it back and leave.
My cases have a pack date of 11/09/17. As new as they are, the very first MRE I ever tried made me very sick (menu 23 burrito bowl), and now that I've had the cheese spread a second time I know it was the culprit, tasted way off but I was completely new and didn't know what to expect since people exaggerate how bad MRE's are. I had faith that something simply ruptured the air seal for the cheese packet during handling and I couldn't possibly get sick twice, and luckily I was right. I was disappointed to get tortillas after seeing how soft and visually fresh the buns appeared in one of Steve's videos.
ViperGTS wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:26 am
I agree that it not the best, but i think any new mre hobbyist should give it a try...to see how uncle sam takes the parts from 2000 cows and smashes them together.
For me, the bacon cheese made this ration worth it
Yes, the bacon spread is actually pretty good and I don't normally like any kind of processed cheese. This meal was basically a bunch of fun sweets meant to apologize for the protein brick, like an adult happy meal. I'll be happy to eat it again, really. Since I have civilian luxuries at my disposal I'll be salting my patty with a bit of soy sauce or something similar. There's probably one of the many modern chemically altered salt variants already in the ingredients, but it seems like a splash of MSG would do wonders for it. I try to remember that at the end of the day, real G.I.'s aren't out there for the chow and to keep my expectations sensible. I'd be happy for that hot patty if I was down to my last ration in a bad situation on a cold, wet night.

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Adult happy meal, lol so true. I totally feel that way as i fight the peelable seal
"Little ducks, there's trouble in Russia, so they called us"
Video Reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfB4TN ... bNi1TwQF5w