2002 Chicken with Noodles MRE Review

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
SentientTootsieRoll

2002 Chicken with Noodles MRE Review

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:43 am

Today I decided to live dangerously and eat one of my least favorite MRE menus. Chicken with Noodles is still produced today, but I had the 2002 version so I decided I should eat it, document it and be done with it! Actually, the fun of eating an MRE usually makes up for a subpar menu. On with the review!
20180817_124850.jpg
20180817_124912.jpg
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
20180817_125034.jpg
20180817_125257.jpg
20180817_125602.jpg
20180817_125606.jpg
20180817_130556.jpg
20180817_130601.jpg
20180817_130606.jpg
Doesn't actually look too bad! The M&Ms, raspberry apple sauce and fig bars are sure to make up for any badness this meal may have. The first thing I always do is prepare the main by putting it in the FRH. In these older MREs, you'll make the most of your time by doing that since the FRHs tend to take longer to heat up. So, let's start with the Chicken and Noodles. If you guessed that it wasn't great, you guessed correctly. It was chewy, in a weird slimy way. The flavor was not unlike a salty chicken stock which was okay, but it was somewhat bland. The presentation doesn't do it much justice either. You can tell that it is pretty unappetizing just by looking at it. They say never judge a book by its cover but I'm here to prove them all wrong! :mrgreen:

The M&Ms are always a welcomed addition. One thing I love about the older MREs is looking at the commercial packaging on some of items such as Skittles, Charms, M&Ms, etc. just to see how it's changed over the years. For example, if you were born around 2002, you may learn that the internet still existed because there are some website addresses on the packaging.

The cheese spread wasn't great, but I think it was okay in the sense that I wouldn't have gotten sick if I ate all of it. It was greasy and tasted very "unfresh". I didn't consume all of it because it just wasn't enjoyable to eat. The vegetable crackers were a bit on the stale side, but were still perfectly edible.

I'm surprised the fig bars weren't browned at all! These looked and tasted fresh! I had some fig bars from a 2010 HDR that were more aged than these. In a way that was kind of a disappointment since the aged fig bars are actually very tasty.

Although it didn't look the part, the raspberry applesauce was still fine. It was sweet and had a strong sense of raspberry. They still produce it in the current MREs and it's one of my favorite MRE deserts / sides along with the cherry cobbler, marble pound cake and the raspberry First Strike Bar.

The cocoa was pretty good, I just mixed it with cold water because I find that the cocoa from this time period just tastes better that way.
If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're bound to repeat them for the first time.