Halal MRE - Lentils stew with lamb

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present

Halal MRE - Lentils stew with lamb

Postby dagi » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:03 pm

Another new experience this year - my first halal MRE. For this, I chose the Lentils stew with lamb menu.

First off, the stew. A mix of lentils and rice, with just a few tiny bits of lamb. It might not look particularly inviting but the smell was really yum - rather on the meaty side. The stew was very thick but with lentils and rice cooked very soft, it lacked some chewiness to it. Though if I were too tired to eat, this'd be perfect. Also, it was properly spiced. Not in a way that burns your mouth but that starts as a really mellow flavour before warming you up from the inside. Awesome!

Washed it down with the grape drink (that actually tasted of grapes this time, even if artificially) and went on to the dessert, cause life's too short to delay the dessert :D

The chocolate pudding had a very thick consistency and cocoa smell and taste, maybe with a hint of caramel? No idea, I still liked it. Less than the main, but still.

And of course, snack time!

With the printed BB date of March 2017, I was curious how they held up - but they did pass the test. Both mini pretzels and the peanuts lightly salted and still pleasantly crunchy (okay, the peanuts were not as crunchy as you get them from the just opened can; but they're still fresher than if I left a super fresh portion on my desk). And the ginger snap cookies... Mmm... crunchy, super gingery (mostly in smell), and going real good with the pudding.

All in all, a really satisfying grub. I'm looking forward to the other halal menus too.

And as a bonus content: that's why I don't do video reviews (and no, I don't mean the lack of even lamest editing XD)

Re: Halal MRE - Lentils stew with lamb

Postby Sailswish » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:13 pm

Nice review. My Jack Russell terrier kept barking at your stuffed dog.
Last edited by Sailswish on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby WorkmanMRE » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:16 pm

Excellent review. Boy that was some thick pudding! That meal looked really nice. Well done!

Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber

Postby NateP » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:27 pm

Indeed, love the pictures, and the meal sounds great.

I think Steve 1989 might have had a similar UN ration at some point. Was the pudding super thick?

eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

Postby Conrad » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:46 am

That looks pretty decent. I can't see myself having any problems with it. In fact, it sounds like I'd enjoy it.
Might have thinned out the pudding a little with some water, or coffee if it was available to me

Return to “MRE Reviews”