2015 Case A Menu 7

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

2015 Case A Menu 7

Postby Simon2002mre » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:44 pm

Hello forum!
For lunch today I dove into my meager stash of MREs and decided to review a meal.
I ended up choosing Menu 7 which was Beef Brisket.

packet1.jpg

I personlly love the simplicity of the opening process
So on to the second thing, I pull out the inner package
best packet2.jpg

Item List:
Beef Brisket:
Garlic Potatoes:
Peanut Butter:
Apple Jelly:
FHR: Fine condition
TFF Wheat Snack Bread:
Oatmeal Cookie
Irish Cream Cappuccino
Accessory Pack: Gum, Moist Towelette, Salt, Cranberry Grape Beverage drink mix
Spoon
layed out .jpg

With the two entrees it was a bit of a squeeze putting them in there but they fit alright. The FRH didn't work for a while, so I added some water and it heated up fine.
Heating up.jpg

I had never actually made a MRE cappuccino before so that was a new one, and the drink mix was, well. a drink mix. It all reconstituted well, with no clumps whatsoever.
Drink one4185.jpg

drink3.jpg

The bread once put out onto my plate, I noticed had a slight stale smell to it, which was weird because I have never had that happen. The malted barley smell came through really strong, adding to the aroma. The cookie although crumbly was in great condition, and the chocolate hadn't separated (By that I mean the fats) to much. The peanut butter was as always amazing, rich and creamy, with a touch of salt on the after taste, and a taste of sugar on the tip of my tongue. Using my handy dandy spoon I spread some on there.
bread and cookie.jpg

pbutter.jpg

The FRH had finished heating up and I opened up my entrees (Burning myself in the process)
potatoes.jpg

poo on a plate.jpg

Continue on next post...
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

Simon2002mre

2015 Case A Menu 7 Continued

Postby Simon2002mre » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Continued...

The brisket had a pleasent gravy smell to it, with a weird sour undertone which I was not so fond off. On the first bit my first impression was rubber. The entire hunk of meat had this awful rubbery texture to it, granted the flavor was spectacular, undertones of spices, lemons, salt, and what almost tasted like butter. However I could not get past the texture and I stopped eating it after a couple bites.
Spoon1poo.jpg

The potatoes we strong flavored, and had a bit too much garlic in my opinion because it masked all other natural flavors of the potato. It might seem like I'm complaning but in all honestly with a little salt and pepper, it spruced it up, and tasted spectacular. After I scarfed down the entire thing, I quickly became sad because there wasn't any left! :P :P :D
potatoes2.jpg

I wanted to put the Apple jelly on something so I had some extra crackers left over from a different menu and and I put the jelly on there and I was in heaven. It's very much like a liquid-y apple sauce, with some mulling spices. Imagine a not quite solidified apple jello. On the cracker it was amazing, and I ate the entire thing in a couple minutes.
apple.jpg

I leaned back in my chair and opened the gum. It did not disappoint. A cooling mint flavor, with a natural sugar undertone. Not a taste of sorbitol in the least. Really enjoyable.
Also wiped of the sticky mess with that wet-nap. They really do need to make them a little more pleasant smelling.
gum.jpg

wet nap.jpg

So that's the final bits of this meal. I did like this one, but not quite as much as I like the other ones. As a whole it was a very filling if not odd ration. All of it was palatable, however the Brisket was not so great. After something like that I might actually need that MRE toilet paper (AKA fancy sand paper).
popopopo.jpg

Anyways, this is Simon2002mre signing off. I will be coming back at you with the different types of coffee in our MREs thanks to fatoutdoors.
Alright well y'all have a great day. :D :D 8)

oneredflag

Re: 2015 Case A Menu 7

Postby oneredflag » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:33 pm

Nice Work!!

In your picture of the brisket that is the entire entree by itself? I ate one of these from a 2015 case and it was mostly gravy with some chipped beef in it. Looked much different than yours.

I agree on the garlic potatoes, the have a very strong artificial garlic flavor that I found off putting.

Cheers,
J.

Simon2002mre

Postby Simon2002mre » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:20 pm

oneredflag wrote:Nice Work!!

In your picture of the brisket that is the entire entree by itself? I ate one of these from a 2015 case and it was mostly gravy with some chipped beef in it. Looked much different than yours.

I agree on the garlic potatoes, the have a very strong artificial garlic flavor that I found off putting.

Cheers,
J.

Yea that was the entire portion by itself there wasn't much in it besides some light gravy (Not enough in my opinion) and a slab of rubber meat.

alohakid
eBay name: admirals72

Postby alohakid » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:33 am

Simon2002mre - Great review of my favorite MRE menu... thanks for the share.

mahalo

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Postby parafireboy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:38 am

Great review, thanks for sharing!

Return to “MRE Reviews”