Brits view on and MRE, a taste test

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
Garron
eBay name: Bigg1989

Brits view on and MRE, a taste test

Post by Garron » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:05 am

Hey Guys,

Sorry about my absence for a while... have been reading just not posting,
I am at university now and was bored one day on ebay...so i thought i would get an MRE (seemed like a normal thing to do).

I could have picked from a list, but i wanted a surpirse, I got

Menu 21
Chicken Tetrazzini
MFG date unsure. prehaps '03 '04 (thats what we normally get in the UK)

anyway
heres the MRE (i opened it before takin the pictures to check everything was there)

Contents of the Pouch

First thing I did was head straight for the Oatmeal Cookies, was wondering if they are similar to the british ones.... kind of are, but i rather the brit one.

Had the Vanilla Dairyshake for the first time with this mre

The main meal

My lunch

The aftermath

My review,

The main meal was very nice, was not over powering with artifical flavourings like some MRE's I have had (smoke in jambalya), it was a good meal, I would eat it again, I have not had many MRE's buts it not one i would turn down.

The Cookies,
They tasted great, quite sweet, dont think you could go wrong with them really, i still prefer the brit 24 hour one.

Vanilla Dairy Shake,

This is where i thought the meal was let down, the thing wouldnt disolve and was wayyyyyy to sweet for my liking, i thought there was way too much vanillia flavourings in it. I dont know if its an american thing with sweet things but I wouldnt drink it again, the mixture of sugar and creamyness was a little too much for me, though sayin that I did drink it anyway would rather the lemon and lime or cherry drink with it.

The jam and crackers,
It was just that jam and crackers, the jame was a little watery so i left it, though it was probably fine, never had grape jelly/jam before, Saved the crackers for some brit 24h meat paste...they are mych nicer then the brit biscuits.

Over all... it was a good meal, i would buy it again, i dont have much expreience with mre's but i thought i was good buy, i was happy with the surprise,

Garron

bl00k
eBay name: bl00k

Post by bl00k » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:20 am

Nice review Garron :D

I had the Chicken Tetrazinni a while ago too, but i did not enjoy it very much. The chicken was very weak of texture, almost fluid-like.

And i hear ya on the Vanilla Shake. I also dont like any of them :P, havent tasted the vanilla yet but the chocolate and strawberry werent so good.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:29 am

I'm with you on the Vanilla shake, Garron. Those things seem more geared towards getting the maximum intake of calories (400!) in as small a serving as possible.

C-rats

Post by C-rats » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:27 pm

You guys can feel free to send me all your unwanted Chocolate Dairy Shakes (yum-yum!)

.......for proper disposal, of course...... :wink:

`rats
Everything tastes better with Tabasco

bishopmarine

Post by bishopmarine » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:33 am

nice review! that meal though is definitely not one of my favorites it is ok. i do like the dairyshakes. they may not be great but when you are in the field burning up about 3000 calories it is good to have.
"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War;
shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered
to not wear their khaki leggings.