US MRE drink mixes not mixing?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Joseph W

US MRE drink mixes not mixing?

Post by Joseph W » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:25 pm

I'm not sure why, but as of a few weeks ago, every single US MRE I've eaten, the drink mix powder refuses to mix in properly. It just kinda mixes halfway and forms into weird squishy gunky stuff that does not mix in no matter how hard I stir it up or shake the bag.

I've tried putting in the powder first and then adding water, I've tried putting in the water first and then adding the powder, I've tried using the plastic drink bag, and using a regular glass, hot water, warm water, cold water...nothing seems to work, it's the same result every time.

Tonight, I even tried taking a whisk and whisking the hell out of the drink, but it STILL refused to mix in, and remained as a bunch of gooey gunky stuff.

What's going on? I've never had issues with the drink mixes before but now all of a sudden every single one is not mixing properly.

SentientTootsieRoll

Re: US MRE drink mixes not mixing?

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:36 pm

I'm going to assume you're referring to the Fortified Beverage Base Powder, correct? If so, I have the same problem. The best thing I recommend is

1. Make sure you're adding the proper amount of water.
2. Put it into a Nalgene bottle or some other type of water bottle that can be closed and shake it after adding water.

Even if you do that, you'll still get chunks of that stuff but it will help a lot more than just stirring it. I only drink the carbohydrate electrolyte powder because not only does it mix better but it also tastes a lot better. I'd have to say Grape is my favorite of the bunch. Whenever I get the fortified stuff, I just throw it aside and don't drink it unless I'm doing a review.
If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're bound to repeat them for the first time.

Joseph W

Post by Joseph W » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:50 pm

Yeah, it's the "carbohydrate electrolyte drink mix" or whatever it is. I'm adding exactly 12 ounces of water just like it says, and then sealing up the plastic bag and shaking the hell out of it. It refuses to mix in, I still get big globs of gunky stuff that doesn't mix in. What I ended up doing is just shaking it for like 30 seconds or so, and then just taking the spoon and scooping the gunk out.

I'm just confused as to why this is happening all of a sudden. I've never had issues with any of the drink mixes before, but now, EVERY electrolyte drink mix is having this same issue no matter what I do.

Travelowl

Post by Travelowl » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Hard or soft water, perhaps?

Mpitt

Post by Mpitt » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:21 am

Water temperature also plays a big part. Warm water mixes a lot better then cold water. Of course, it being summer now (as long as your a northern hemisphere-ian), you would think your water would naturally be warmer if anything.

Joseph W

Post by Joseph W » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:39 am

Travelowl wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:05 pm
Hard or soft water, perhaps?
Nope, tried using tap water and bottled water, same result.
Mpitt wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:21 am
Water temperature also plays a big part. Warm water mixes a lot better then cold water. Of course, it being summer now (as long as your a northern hemisphere-ian), you would think your water would naturally be warmer if anything.
I would always use cold water from the tap for the drink mixes, never had any issues mixing in.

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:16 am

Try using a couple of tablespoons of water and forming a paste with the powder, then a couple more to make a thick liquid and then the rest of the water.. Usually that works for me whenever I have issues like that
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Have tried: Croatian, Danish, Polish, English, German, Australian, Norwegian, Russian, Canadian, MCW and spanish rations.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:26 am

I've always had that "gunky stuff" issue, also. It's a crime that the US can't make a drink powder that mixes with water. They could simply buy single-serving packets of powder from commercial sources, just like they do with coffee. It's not like the drink provides any significant nutrition anyway. If they need electrolytes, buy Gatorade powder. For anything else, just buy Kool-Aid. Or Country Time. Or any of a half dozen other kinds.

I, for one, would not miss the "Prestone" or "Tidy Bowl" mixes.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Drew78

Post by Drew78 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:48 pm

** This trick always works for me**

Start with a little warm water (not room temp. ..almost hot warm) ...enough to cover all the powder...and mix that first...wait 2 min..then add rest cold water...the warm water works great at dissolving the powder...then make the drink cold by adding cold water the rest of way...just make sure to give it 2 min to mix up before adding cold water..(works better with a spoon if possible..(dont try shaking it in bag as it will just stick to the sides since not much water at first....or use ur hands and squish it around from outside pouch at first to get it going...

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:04 am

That may work, and it's fine for those of us eating a ration in leisure, but it's both completely impractical and dangerous to expect troops in the field to go through such a rigmarole. Soldiers need a no-hassle, works every time, instant mixing beverage. Period.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.