Bulk MRE Cocoa?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
SentientTootsieRoll

Bulk MRE Cocoa?

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Wed May 02, 2018 9:36 pm

As anyone who's had MRE cocoa knows, there's something distinctively different about it that tastes much better than that of the typical boring cocoa purchased from the store. I just had some from an 1980s era MRE recently and really wanted more.

I started looking around at prepper sites and the like to see if I could buy some of it in bulk. Obviously, getting my hands on the same bulk cocoa used by Natick would be a difficult task, but Rainy Day Foods offers a #10 can of cocoa with ingredients very similar to MRE cocoa. Take a look: https://rainydayfoods.com/hot-cocoa-dri ... 10can.html

The only problem? They want $30. No way, man. I won't fork out that much money unless I know for sure that it tastes like MRE cocoa. Has anyone had any experiences with that product before? If so, does it taste like MRE cocoa? Other recommendations are also welcome and even encouraged!
If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're bound to repeat them for the first time.

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Re: Bulk MRE Cocoa?

Post by Simon2002mre » Wed May 02, 2018 10:27 pm

In some of the 5-1 man rations and rations like that meant for multiple men they would give you an entire can of coffee and sometimes entire cans of coco! That’s not any help to you but I still think it’s cool
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Wed May 02, 2018 10:39 pm

Simon2002mre wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:27 pm
In some of the 5-1 man rations and rations like that meant for multiple men they would give you an entire can of coffee and sometimes entire cans of coco! That’s not any help to you but I still think it’s cool
I think you mean the UGR rations, I have never seen a CAN of cocoa included in those.... BUT there is a UGR ration (UGR H&S & MAYBE a UGR-Express menu) that comes with a crap ton of pouches (like 20+) of regular MRE cocoa. That is what you are looking for. I actually have seen these on eBay before too!

Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Post by Simon2002mre » Thu May 03, 2018 1:18 am

Like I said I’ve seen the canned coffee but I am not 100% sure about the coco. Maybe, maybe not. I’m not sure!
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

Eistee
eBay name: mjulian-de

Post by Eistee » Thu May 03, 2018 4:46 pm

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:36 pm
As anyone who's had MRE cocoa knows, there's something distinctively different about it that tastes much better than that of the typical boring cocoa purchased from the store. I just had some from an 1980s era MRE recently and really wanted more.

I started looking around at prepper sites and the like to see if I could buy some of it in bulk. Obviously, getting my hands on the same bulk cocoa used by Natick would be a difficult task, but Rainy Day Foods offers a #10 can of cocoa with ingredients very similar to MRE cocoa. Take a look: https://rainydayfoods.com/hot-cocoa-dri ... 10can.html

The only problem? They want $30. No way, man. I won't fork out that much money unless I know for sure that it tastes like MRE cocoa. Has anyone had any experiences with that product before? If so, does it taste like MRE cocoa? Other recommendations are also welcome and even encouraged!
I noticed that they also offer different cans, like a smaller #2.5 can, with 24 servings inside, should be way cheaper than going big with the #10 can

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Thu May 03, 2018 10:03 pm

The upfront cost would be cheaper, but if I were actually going to buy some with the intention of drinking it regularly, I think the better deal would be getting a #10 can to start with.

You're onto something, though. If no one here has any experience with this brand, I should order some and report my experiences. Maybe I will...

(cue incredibly cheesy reverb effect)

Thus commenced the Great MRE Cocoa Expedition!
If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're bound to repeat them for the first time.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Mon May 07, 2018 11:11 pm

STR,

I would say go with a smaller, less expensive can and try it out. If this cocoa is similar to the MRE version I'll definitely stock up on some. Your not the only one who loves the MRE cocoa, that stuff is just addictive. :D