Special Forces MRE's??

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
madcapmagician

Special Forces MRE's??

Postby madcapmagician » Mon May 28, 2007 11:44 am

Kman saw these on ebay. The guy has several cases of 12/06 production and he says they are special forces issue! Do you think that's what they are :?: :?: :?:
Attachments
e7e3_1.jpg
Don't die for your country;
Make some other poor bastard die for his!
(General George S. Patton)

kman
Site Admin

Postby kman » Mon May 28, 2007 11:54 am

I'm not sure what the "SF" stands for, but it's definitely not "Special Forces". The text "MRE SF" just replaces the older "V2" text on the bottom of the MRE cases. I think there was another thread here where someone figured out that V2 was supposed to indicate the type of cardboard used for the box.

MCIera

Postby MCIera » Mon May 28, 2007 10:02 pm

Funny thought just occurred to me ...
I wonder if some of these clowns that make these misrepresentations on FleaBay are the same ones that go around making "false advertising" rants about manufacturers on various forums ...

kman
Site Admin

Postby kman » Mon May 28, 2007 10:09 pm

What kind of false advertising rants are you talking about, MCIera?

It wouldn't surprise me if some sellers were doing that. Apparently, eBay sellers can be pretty vicious with each other. Just a while back, I got accused of ratting someone out to eBay about an MRE auction. Someone (probably another seller) sent eBay a message saying this other seller had an illegal MRE auction...so eBay yanked the auction.

I've also heard of non-MRE auctions where a seller will "win" a competitor's auction just so they can leave negative feedback for the person.

MCIera

Postby MCIera » Mon May 28, 2007 10:14 pm

kman wrote:What kind of false advertising rants are you talking about, MCIera?

Oh, they're not related to MREs, but rather some of the rants that I've seen on high-tech manufacturer's forums, and then reading the copy that some of the same people create to sell their goods on auction sites (mostly eBay.)

kman wrote:Apparently, eBay sellers can be pretty vicious with each other.

I agree, a lot of them strike me as being pretty petty people. I can often read that just from the way they write their ad copy. I think my eBay account is about 7-8 years old and I've made a grand total of 2 or 3 purchases (mind you, with 100% positive feedback :lol: )

DIRTYDAVE

Postby DIRTYDAVE » Wed May 30, 2007 7:09 pm

I don't know the answer to this but I do know that if you see a case of MREs with the initals CC on them, they come from...

CAJUNCLARA

AND REMEMBER THAT HER CUSTOMERS ARE THE BEST ON EBAY AND SHE GIVES AWAY TWO CASES EVERY MONTH TO SAID CUSTOMERS...

YEE HAW!!!
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

Lifesaver

Postby Lifesaver » Thu May 31, 2007 1:36 pm

Okay, I checked with two "experts" and got the same answer from both. One is an NCO in the dining facility at the military hospital where I work. The other is a supply guy that works at the Group on our base. They both told me these MREs are made specially for Special Forces. From what they told me, these MREs have more calories per meal than the normal ones. These have an additional 500 - 1000 calories in each meal. The logic behind this is that due to mission requirements of the Special Forces, they may not always get to eat as often as they should or would like. So, the additional calories are to tide them over until they can get their next meal. I'm trying to get some of the MREs from my contact at the Group; but, due to current operational considerations, it may be a while before I get some. I hope this clears up the question.
"That others might live."

kman
Site Admin

Postby kman » Thu May 31, 2007 2:02 pm

Ok, now you have me really curious. I can see that it'd make sense to have some MREs with more calories, but it's kind of strange that the only way they'd mark the MREs/cases to differentiate them is by adding "SF" to the bottom of the case. As soon as I get home tonight, I'll have to see if any of my 2006 cases are marked like this and then dig into an MRE to see what the calorie count is.

Lifesaver

Postby Lifesaver » Thu May 31, 2007 3:55 pm

kman, I showed the photo to the supply guy with the Group. He says all their boxes come marked that way. I wish I could give you a better answer; but, this is what the "experts" told me.
"That others might live."

kman
Site Admin

Postby kman » Thu May 31, 2007 9:14 pm

Ok - so I checked out one of my cases at home from 08/2006. Here's what the bottom of the case looked like:

Image Image Image

This was a case from Sopakco - maybe that case pic from eBay was from Wornick or Ameriqual - that one had a big "MRE SF" whereas my "SF" was pretty small.

And here I opened up one of the MREs from the case - this is Menu #1 Chili w/Beans:

Image Image

According to the 2006 menus, this one is supposed to contain:

Chili w/Beans
Mexican Style Corn
Jam
Crackers
Candy I
Dairy Shake

and that's what's in there. Just to be safe, I counted up the calories. Not counting all the stuff in the accessory pack, I counted 1270 calories - which seems to be about right for a regular MRE.

So I don't know, Lifesaver. Maybe those "Special Forces" MREs are just a kind of military urban legend. Even the NSN on the box matches up with what the regular MREs are supposed to be.

Return to “MREs”