Hospital MRE

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
NateP

Hospital MRE

Post by NateP » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:56 pm

So, this might sound weird, but hear me out.

My wife and I are expecting our first baby in April, and I want to have a few MRES for myself to eat because the hospital food court will probably be closed.

Ideally I'd like something that has a proper main and a few snacks items. I tend to really like breakfast items too.

Eistee
eBay name: mjulian-de

Re: Hospital MRE

Post by Eistee » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:10 pm

I would recommend an polish MRE, its cheap to get, has great mains, an FRH and also awesome breakfast items.

NateP

Post by NateP » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:46 pm

I would recommend an polish MRE
I'm not familiar with their breakfasts. Any in particular you would recommend?

wats6831
eBay name: MREmountain

Post by wats6831 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:24 pm

NateP wrote:So, this might sound weird, but hear me out.

My wife and I are expecting our first baby in April, and I want to have a few MRES for myself to eat because the hospital food court will probably be closed.

Ideally I'd like something that has a proper main and a few snacks items. I tend to really like breakfast items too.
Not weird at all. Having been there, done that it's a really good idea. Just make it a part of your hospital bag. Food is surprisingly hard to come by depending on the hospital.

Lithuanian rations would be very good as well.

This is what I would bring

Breakfast: Canada IMPs - best breakfast menus, can use FRHs
Lunch/Dinner: Polish single meals, Lithuanian single meals...both are good and can use FRHs. Natural food - good meat, honey, crackers, jam.

Runner up: Russian mountain ration could last you 2 days by itself, with plenty of variety and snack type items, lots of crackers, jam, good chocolate etc.

You can also just roll your own with a bunch of USA components.

donaldjcheek

Post by donaldjcheek » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Not a crazy idea at all. A lot of people I know keep emergency rations on hand,

Most hospitals have a hospitality room with a microwave. You may seriously consider putting together a pack of ready-to-eat meals using what is available off the shelf of your local grocery store. Hormels has some pretty good microwaveable trays, things like Chicken Alfredo, Beef Tips with mushrooms, etc. Campbells make some good hearty soups, like Spicy Crab Corn Chowder. You can also buy single pack microwavable oatmeal in a cup, and granola bars are always an option. Those little cups of fruit are always good. For breakfast, I would suggest packing some US MRE components.

From someone who's been there, BRING YOUR OWN COFFEE. Hospital coffee is vile. Also bring some wet wipes and gum.
"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry."

NateP

Post by NateP » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks for the advice all. I'm probably going with some kind of mre, not quite sure what.