TOTM differences

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
kolhoznik

TOTM differences

Post by kolhoznik » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi,

I am new to the forum and fairly new to rations in general. I use them for backcountry trips mainly. Someone local to me is selling TOTMs that are of a 2012/2013 manufacture. Now I have seen from browsing here that folks eat MREs well earlier than that date range. However I have not seen much about TOTM life expectancy. It gives me pause that the DLA.mil website says that the expectancy for TOTMs are less than MREs. The price is nice for the before mentioned rations. Would it make sense to get these or are they too old? Thanks for any guidance.

limp_noodle

Re: TOTM differences

Post by limp_noodle » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:35 pm

I occasionally buy TOTM and I have no problems with them. Just like regular MREs you have to make sure that they've been stored properly.

The reason for the short shelf life is because of some of the items inside. There are off the shelf items like Skittles, m&ms, and thing of that nature that aren't packed in a multilayer thermo pouch and therefore will have a short shelf life. The main dish, crackers, drink mix and other items usually found in MREs will have the same shelf life as the regular MRE

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 pm

Noodle is correct. The shorter life is due to the candy. I prefer TOTMs because I can't finish everything in a full MRE (and not often the whole TOTM) They're also about half the price of an MRE. Not a bad tradeoff for the lack of a side dish - which is the principal difference. Military base retail price is about $4.50 for a TOTM, if that helps you with your purchase.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

limp_noodle

Post by limp_noodle » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:51 pm

RockyRaab wrote:Noodle is correct. The shorter life is due to the candy. I prefer TOTMs because I can't finish everything in a full MRE (and not often the whole TOTM) They're also about half the price of an MRE. Not a bad tradeoff for the lack of a side dish - which is the principal difference. Military base retail price is about $4.50 for a TOTM, if that helps you with your purchase.
I personally have a hard time finishing a full blown MRE too.

TOTMs are perfectly sized meals. If I'm going out on a day hike I'll usually take one with me.

paintballer4lfe
eBay name: paintballer4lfe09

Post by paintballer4lfe » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:39 pm

TOTM's are great hiking and backpacking rations when somewhat fresh.
limp_noodle is correct with the shelf life being lower because of the normal candy thrown in.

TOTM's are just a cost effective way to give packaged meals to troops training rather then wasting money on full blown MRE's. It's funny though, during all of my training when i was in i never once saw or ate a TOTM ration haha, we always had MRE's or just food from the DFAC's.
here is the dla link if anyone wants to hotlink to it
http://www.dla.mil/TroopSupport/Subsist ... ions/totm/