New guy question.

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Fatboytactical

New guy question.

Post by Fatboytactical » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:05 pm

Ok I am new to the group I have a couple of questions. I used to be into prepping and stored some MREs in plastic pails in my basement. After watching quite a few of Review videos I decided to dig them out and see what I had. I have about a dozen old dark brown MREs a dozen TOTMs from 2008 and some tan bags from 2007. I am not a collector. How many of these are still safe to eat? I don’t want to take them camping and get sick in the field. I really love all the videos you guys do I started watching Steve1989s videos and am now working through other people’s. Thanks for doing the videos and educating people!
image.jpg

TummaTime45
eBay name: tiballa_0

Re: New guy question.

Post by TummaTime45 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:33 pm

I would have to say they would probably be ok to eat but only if they pass the visual, smell, and the taste test. :lol: If it was me I would give them a try first before I would swallow them. I tried some hot dogs from those brown bags that were probably over 30 years old and honestly they smelled so good but the taste, you could just tell something was a little off about it. For my safety I didn't actually swallow them, but it kind of scares me because they smelled so good and were in great shape, it just makes me wonder what do they actually put in this food. For the other foods in it though, sadly they really didn't make it except the crackers. The drink mixes were a little chunky like moisture got to them and the grape drink mix was one solid brick that turned blue with mold growing on it :lol:. The apple jelly turned a very dark brown almost black but it tasted amazing in matter fact. I am not sure but I would have no problem eating the apple jelly with the crackers. I have a review video of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVcvy0ot52M&t=25s

If I were you I would use those pointers and go from there. Chances are if they were properly stored they can last a long time and they can honestly still be good. Just be wary of the food though, you don't want to get sick :shock: Hope the food lasted so you enjoy it all! :)
TummaTime45 :)

YouTube: TummaTime45 https://www.youtube.com/c/TummaTime45
IG: tummatime45
Facebook: TummaTime45

wats6831
eBay name: MREmountain

Post by wats6831 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:13 pm

Fatboytactical wrote:Ok I am new to the group I have a couple of questions. I used to be into prepping and stored some MREs in plastic pails in my basement. After watching quite a few of Review videos I decided to dig them out and see what I had. I have about a dozen old dark brown MREs a dozen TOTMs from 2008 and some tan bags from 2007. I am not a collector. How many of these are still safe to eat? I don’t want to take them camping and get sick in the field. I really love all the videos you guys do I started watching Steve1989s videos and am now working through other people’s. Thanks for doing the videos and educating people!image.jpg
A few of my basic rules mostly learned from Steve:

1. Dairy usually is the first to go. This includes cheese spread, chocolate, etc. anything that contains milk.

2. You're talking about items that are a decade or more past their designed shelf life. They CAN last longer if stored correctly, but sadly usually they don't.

3. They do smell good sometimes. It's what you can't see that's bad. Smell, VERY small tastes, should tell you all you need to know.

Things can definitely last. I ate a 1945 Royal Canadian Navy survival ration. It didn't taste good but it was fine, even the chocolate. But it was stored in a climate controlled museum environment. Not typical of the rations you'll find laying around.

I've had EPAs and MREs from the 80s. A few were good still, most were bad but a a general rule any dairy just doesn't last. Your best bet is bread items...sometimes peanut butter can last but the fats do go rancid.

elkabong

Post by elkabong » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:43 pm

well that pmag is almost certainly inedible at this point.

Fatboytactical

Post by Fatboytactical » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 pm

LOL.. Thank God I have never been hungry enough to eat a P Mag! If I send one to Steve1989 do you think he will try?

elkabong

Post by elkabong » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:10 pm

yeah, maybe if it's 30 years old.