Questions about eating vintage/older rations

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
MooseMan

Questions about eating vintage/older rations

Post by MooseMan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:33 am

Hello MREforums.
First of all, please excuse any grammar and spelling errors. I'm typing all this from a phone that is on its last limb...
Anyways-
I'm very interested in buying myself a vintage ration to explore. I know that for the most part, it's relatively easy to determine which of the items that have gone rancid just by the smell alone. But is there anything I need to be super cautious about that might go undetected by a rookie? I know that anything with dried milk is horrible to eat, but what else? I don't want my first experience opening up one of those time capsules to also be my last! Haha
Thanks for reading, any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
-MooseMan

WorkmanMRE

Re: Questions about eating vintage/older rations

Post by WorkmanMRE » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:49 am

From watching countless hours of my gurus, and some personal experience....always trust the sight and smell test. Small bites but not swallowed at first. Numbness or bitter rancid tastes will give it away as bad. You can also look for mildews and molds before tasting by inspecting the package after opening. Good luck and I know more experienced members will chime in! Good luck and happy hunting!

The Cheese is never good...,.haha!
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

MooseMan

Re: Questions about eating vintage/older rations

Post by MooseMan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:22 pm

I can't help but laugh whenever Steve1989 finds something rancid. His reactions are priceless haha. He definitely knows his stuff though. It blows my mind how knowledgeable he is about the ingredients and chemicals in them, and how they age.
-MooseMan