MCI Lorillard Cigarette Packet

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Quaz

MCI Lorillard Cigarette Packet

Post by Quaz » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Hi all,
I'm new here and looking for any sort of information anyone might have.
I collect old cigarettes and militaria from the Vietnam conflict, putting 2 and 2 together I decided it might be worth picking up an accessory packet out of an old MCI. I just got it in the mail today and instead of the typical Camel, Marlboro, Winston etc I was expecting, I got a plain white 4 pack of Lorillard cigarettes. I'd never heard of Lorillard prior to today and really can't find much about these particular cigs. I figured it might be worth asking here as someone may have seen a lot of accessory packets and might be able to give me an insight into the rarity, or any info about them. I've added an image of the pack for reference. I apologise if this post is a little off topic.

Thanks!
20171207_183250.jpg

cavguy

Re: MCI Lorillard Cigarette Packet

Post by cavguy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:19 pm

It looks like Lorillard is still a major producer of cigarettes / e-cigarettes. They sold under numerous other brand names in the past, but I am betting they packed the generic "no label" for the Military rations. I am not sure how rare these are.

Here is an interesting study about how cigarette companies, including Lorillard "marketed" their products to deployed troops;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2724442/

Quaz

Re: MCI Lorillard Cigarette Packet

Post by Quaz » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:28 pm

cavguy wrote:They sold under numerous other brand names in the past, but I am betting they packed the generic "no label" for the Military rations.
Interesting read! From what I've seen Lorillard produced Kent and Newport, among others, that were featured in the MCI, but I'd never heard of companies supplying cigs with blank packaging before. Maybe a cost cutting measure? Thanks for the reply!