First Ration Mistakes

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
SentientTootsieRoll

First Ration Mistakes

Postby SentientTootsieRoll » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:08 pm

I remember the first time I prepared MRE coffee, I poured the coffee, creamer and what I thought to be sugar in my cup. Except I actually poured salt and drank it unknowingly. Imagine the literal distaste that ensued!

What was your first mistake when preparing a ration? Perhaps it was filling up the FRH too high? Or maybe your hot beverage opened up and spilled a hot drink everywhere while shaking it? Whatever it may be, I'm interested in hearing it! :)

Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

Re: First Ration Mistakes

Postby Conrad » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:24 am

I fuck up things a fair bit... but a memorable early bad Incident was being about 16 years old, actually about that amount of years ago give or take, camping in Wales.
Using an old british army ration, got distracted and left a toffee pudding heating for far too long, bag ended up swelled up and i carelessly opened it with a knife, the searing hot sticky sugary liquid inside went all over one of my hands, causing me a rather painful burn.
Another one was at about 18, using a hexi stove inside my van when camping (well, sleeping on a mattress in the back of the van) while spending a couple of days in Co. Kerry, Ireland for the Rally Of the Lakes (cool motorport event in incredible scenery) and I was hung over and it was raining hard so I didnt want to open the rear door of the van. I regretted that. The front window being open a little wasnt enough. The fumes were bad.

Mpitt

Postby Mpitt » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Conrad wrote:Using an old british army ration, got distracted and left a toffee pudding heating for far too long, bag ended up swelled up and i carelessly opened it with a knife, the searing hot sticky sugary liquid inside went all over one of my hands, causing me a rather painful burn.

I think I heard about that. Shortly after this, Napalm was invented. :lol:

Seriously though, those burns can be very severe. My dad had a mishap while opening a pressure cooker 35 years ago. He still has the burns scars today.

steve1989
eBay name: :D

Postby steve1989 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:22 pm

Ooh salty coffee! I did that once a couple years ago in the dark on a camping trip. What an experience!

The first MREs i got in 1997 (they were 93s) i didn't know how to do the FRH. Filled it to the brim with water. So Ham Slices and Tuna w Noodle, my first MREs were eaten cold. The other 10 i put on a plate and in the oven. We didn't have a microwave back then. Actually, i have never microwaved an MRE entree yet.

My worst mistake.. hmmm. Maybe eating a Ukrainian Ration. :lol:
What is the oldest thing you've ever eaten?

Return to “MREs”