Found Three Cases of Brown Bag MREs

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Re: Found Three Cases of Brown Bag MREs

Postby Simon2002mre » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:24 pm

Man oh man! What a score!!!
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

SentientTootsieRoll

Postby SentientTootsieRoll » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:13 am

So, I did it. I went back in today and came back with quite the score, I'd say!
20171009_210410.jpg

I've been doing well financially, storing away whatever I could into savings to build up my emergency fund. But it's my birthday so I decided to go all out, man. I took every vintage MRE/C rat I could. That case of MREs dates from 1992. The MCIs appear to be from 1978. Hopefully I encouraged you to take a trip to your local surplus store and see what you can find! I've been visiting mine for over a year, once every few months and I've never seen anything quite like this and I never thought I would!

LaSwede
eBay name: LaGaurdian

Postby LaSwede » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:17 am

That's awesoeme tootsieroll! I don't think I would be able to live for a longer period of time in the us again, Would never be able to stay away from these army surplus stores :) In sweden there was a crackdown on internet store who sold old canned rations a long time ago( swe rations from 70-00's). As they sold products with the expiration date passed. Probably that's why I don't see much of the older rations for sale :)
Have acess to several different 3 course swedish rations 4 course rations. Interested in japanese, indonesian, australian, canadian and any from south america

Treesuit

Postby Treesuit » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:24 pm

STR,

I think I know which Army Surplus store you went too. :wink: I've been there before and personally know the guy who runs it. He's super cool and he always has really rare stuff come through his door. I'm surprised you scored all that in two trips.

SentientTootsieRoll

Postby SentientTootsieRoll » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:02 pm

The one on Division? If so, that's the one! I was speaking with Kevin and he and I were discussing rations a bit. He also mentioned that he knew someone who was also interested in vintage rations on the west side. I'm thrilled by the "small world" effect so I wonder if he was referring to you! That would sure be interesting.

I also know of the older guy, he must be the owner but I don't know for sure. He's a really nice guy. He even offered to help me carry all of these MRE cases out to my car. I've found some pretty neat stuff there, including some Food Packet Survival rations. They also have a store on Appleway in the Dishman area, I've been there a few times and I think the same people run it but the selection at that store leaves a lot to be desired.

LaSwede wrote:That's awesoeme tootsieroll! I don't think I would be able to live for a longer period of time in the us again, Would never be able to stay away from these army surplus stores :) In sweden there was a crackdown on internet store who sold old canned rations a long time ago( swe rations from 70-00's). As they sold products with the expiration date passed. Probably that's why I don't see much of the older rations for sale :)
That's pretty unfortunate. Hopefully you're able to obtain some rare treasures on eBay or maybe secondhand stores in your area. I'd be surprised to hear that Sweden doesn't have a government surplus store. That's plenty of good equipment that can be reused.

LaSwede
eBay name: LaGaurdian

Postby LaSwede » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:20 pm

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:

LaSwede wrote:That's awesoeme tootsieroll! I don't think I would be able to live for a longer period of time in the us again, Would never be able to stay away from these army surplus stores :) In sweden there was a crackdown on internet store who sold old canned rations a long time ago( swe rations from 70-00's). As they sold products with the expiration date passed. Probably that's why I don't see much of the older rations for sale :)
That's pretty unfortunate. Hopefully you're able to obtain some rare treasures on eBay or maybe secondhand stores in your area. I'd be surprised to hear that Sweden doesn't have a government surplus store. That's plenty of good equipment that can be reused.

Sometimes they pop up in facebook buy/sell groups, and as for equipment the swe goverment uses several different companies, to auction/resell used equipment, but never anything edible :)
Have acess to several different 3 course swedish rations 4 course rations. Interested in japanese, indonesian, australian, canadian and any from south america

Treesuit

Postby Treesuit » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:36 pm

The one on Division? If so, that's the one! I was speaking with Kevin and he and I were discussing rations a bit. He also mentioned that he knew someone who was also interested in vintage rations on the west side. I'm thrilled by the "small world" effect so I wonder if he was referring to you! That would sure be interesting.

I also know of the older guy, he must be the owner but I don't know for sure. He's a really nice guy. He even offered to help me carry all of these MRE cases out to my car. I've found some pretty neat stuff there, including some Food Packet Survival rations. They also have a store on Appleway in the Dishman area, I've been there a few times and I think the same people run it but the selection at that store leaves a lot to be desired

STR, yes that is the store I'm referring too. Yes, I know Kevin the assistant owner and the older guy is the store owner. He owns that store, the one on Dishman Hills, and the one over in Sandpoint, ID. Never personally talked to the store owner but Kevin and I have had some great talks and he has had some great deals for me. If he mentioned another ration collector, I bet he was referring to me. Some years ago I bought several cases of brown MRE's from him for a steal and sold them all to a lot people here on the forum. Made some people a happy! I have also found some other militaria in his store, very rare stuff but good quality. :mrgreen:

steve1989
eBay name: :D

Postby steve1989 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:12 pm

Hey Sentient, what a fantastic find! It makes me happy to know you got such an amazing deal on so many vintage goodies. It should have you set on FD fruit and cookie bars for some time. :D
What is the oldest thing you've ever eaten?

SentientTootsieRoll

Postby SentientTootsieRoll » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:01 am

Treesuit wrote:STR, yes that is the store I'm referring too. Yes, I know Kevin the assistant owner and the older guy is the store owner. He owns that store, the one on Dishman Hills, and the one over in Sandpoint, ID.
Small world, that's awesome! Last summer, I was in Sandpoint and walked past Army Surplus 1 but it was closed since it was a Sunday evening. One of these days, when time permits, I will need to take a trip up there again and visit that store. I'm also surprised that it's owned by the same people given they are a few hours apart.

There's another surplus store called SOS Surplus in Post Falls that may warrant a visit if you're ever in the area. The prices may be hit or miss but at the very least they have some really neat stuff for viewing only. Everything from WWII relics to Cold War rations and beyond.

steve1989 wrote:Hey Sentient, what a fantastic find! It makes me happy to know you got such an amazing deal on so many vintage goodies. It should have you set on FD fruit and cookie bars for some time.
Thanks! I'm still slowly but surely going through one of the 1992 cases I've had a lot of FD fruit bars, oatmeal chocolate cookies, and Mars bars. I really don't want to open that case from 1984 but someone has to before all the components basically go bad. I wonder how those old MREs will look 50-100 years from now. Will the meals stay in the retort pouches or will it start to leak out like they do in the MCIs? I figure it's best to get them documented before they get to that point. I also have a late war K Ration here and it looks to be in great shape. I'll just have to open it when that time comes because it will eventually eat itself if it hasn't already.

Treesuit

Postby Treesuit » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Small world, that's awesome! Last summer, I was in Sandpoint and walked past Army Surplus 1 but it was closed since it was a Sunday evening. One of these days, when time permits, I will need to take a trip up there again and visit that store. I'm also surprised that it's owned by the same people given they are a few hours apart.

There's another surplus store called SOS Surplus in Post Falls that may warrant a visit if you're ever in the area. The prices may be hit or miss but at the very least they have some really neat stuff for viewing only. Everything from WWII relics to Cold War rations and beyond

STR,

Yes I know that store too. I was a frequent buyer there up until this year. I've known the original owner, he retired last year for health reasons and he had another assistant owner buy the store and run it. Of course, he brought in some young, arrogant punks to help out and I noticed the prices went up and the customer service went down. It was unfortunate but I stopped going in there as of April.

I really liked going there, especially in the earlier years where the prices were affordable and the owner was really good about doing a deal to get his customer base started. The guys that run the surplus stores in Spokane both knew the owner and had done business with him in the past, everybody was on a first name basis and helped each other in some way, but not now. In the past at the surplus store in Post Falls, I did find some cool rations there before and the store still has a bulk lot of MRE's and Alpine Aire foods.

The store in Sandpoint, is pretty cool, I would say. The best time to go is on a Saturday, there is hardly anybody in there. I always found that the store changes constantly from real military surplus to civilian work wear, back to surplus. I have not been there in years so I don't know what it is like now. I do know the prices are the same as in Spokane for a lot of things.

Return to “MREs”