Found Three Cases of Brown Bag MREs

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
SentientTootsieRoll

Found Three Cases of Brown Bag MREs

Postby SentientTootsieRoll » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:26 pm

During my lunch break I decided to take a trip up to the local Army Surplus today. Guess what I found! 3 cases of old 80-90s MREs. I could hardly believe it myself! Altogether, they had 5 MREs plus a few loose ones. One of the loose ones are at the top. I thought it would bear mentioning simply because of how vacuum sealed it was! I'll definitely be doing a review of that one here on the forums and I will capture a video of my opening it to hear if there is a "hiss".

One case is from 1984, another is from 1990 and the last was from 1992 (although that one didn't have any markings on the case. They are Sopacko branded.)
Attachments
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Nighthawk1097
eBay name: Nighthawk1097

Re: Found Three Cases of Brown Bag MREs

Postby Nighthawk1097 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:56 pm

You hit the mother load!!! Super jealous, hopefully they're all in great condition.
Keep calm and knead peanut butter
https://www.youtube.com/user/1997Nighthawk

SentientTootsieRoll

Postby SentientTootsieRoll » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:06 pm

I did break open the 1992 Sopacko case and had a Chicken with Rice first. At first, it tasted okay but then it got sour. It did have freeze dried pears, chocolate oatmeal cookie and M&Ms in it, so that was pretty sweet (no pun intended)! I also broke open the Beef Stew one and everything in that ration was still good.

I'm hesitant to break open the 1984 case, but I think I will when I'm ready. And my goal would be to document/review every. single. MRE. in that case. One doesn't just happen across a 33 year old case of MREs everyday so I'm not going to take this one too casually.

Oddly enough, I had a strange dream last night (I have these dreams more often than I'd like to admit) wherein I visited the army surplus and found a huge amount of old MREs like this along with some loose ones. So, I decided to take all the loose ones first and bring it to the counter and then go back and grab the cases to make it easy on myself. When I went back, BAM! They were all gone, someone had already taken all of them! Noooooooooooo! That's what inspired me in real life to go to the Army Surplus and look around. Then, 5 cases of old MREs!!! Needless to say, in an attempt to keep my nightmare from becoming reality, I took all the cases I wanted up to the counter and purchased them before anyone else could. I tell ya, there really is no cure for this sickness. :P

Nighthawk1097
eBay name: Nighthawk1097

Postby Nighthawk1097 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:10 am

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:And my goal would be to document/review every. single. MRE. in that case. One doesn't just happen across a 33 year old case of MREs everyday so I'm not going to take this one too casually.

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to see all the reviews. :D
Keep calm and knead peanut butter
https://www.youtube.com/user/1997Nighthawk

Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

Postby Conrad » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:18 am

Well that's really cool

Nix

Postby Nix » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Nice find! 8)

NuWorldMann

Postby NuWorldMann » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Awesome!! Yep, these things just don't happen very often, but when they do it's a jaw dropping moment!

shawker71
eBay name: hawkermb

Postby shawker71 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:05 pm

That really is a great find.
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.

SentientTootsieRoll

Postby SentientTootsieRoll » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:01 am

Thanks all. I'm thinking about going back and purchasing the rest of the cases. I also forgot to mention that there was an opened case of C-rations and they looked to be in great condition. They don't have any cigarettes in them, but I don't smoke so that doesn't really appeal to me anyway.

Out of curiosity, what would you do? Each case was only $70 and at that price, I couldn't say no. My rationale? Well, while finances are important and all, life is too short to turn down rare opportunities like this.

Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

Postby Conrad » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:03 am

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:Thanks all. I'm thinking about going back and purchasing the rest of the cases. I also forgot to mention that there was an opened case of C-rations and they looked to be in great condition. They don't have any cigarettes in them, but I don't smoke so that doesn't really appeal to me anyway.

Out of curiosity, what would you do? Each case was only $70 and at that price, I couldn't say no. My rationale? Well, while finances are important and all, life is too short to turn down rare opportunities like this.

Well it's something you enjoy having and investigating, so if it's not going to mean your bills aren't paid then why not get them?

Return to “MREs”