Maybe this is where all the eBay MREs are coming from

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
kman
Site Admin

Maybe this is where all the eBay MREs are coming from

Post by kman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:31 pm

Maybe this is where all the eBay MREs are coming from...

From Neal Boortz's "Nealz Nuze": http://boortz.com/nuze/200704/04132007.html#fema
FEMA FLUSHES ANOTHER $40 MILLION

Remember when the doom and gloom crowd was predicting a record-setting hurricane season in 2006 because of global warming? It didn't happen. What a surprise.

Today we learn that FEMA had to throw out $40 million worth of food last year because they ran out of refrigerated warehouse space. What a waste of everything. That could have paid for quite a few empty house trailers and debit cards for "refugees" to spend.

So what happened? FEMA, stung by criticism that they didn't deliver supplies fast enough to those affected by Hurricane Katrina, put into position all this food in case another hurricane came along. It never happened....and so it all went to waste. Add this to the $900 million on trailers that were never used, the $1.8 billion spent on hotels and cruise ship rooms...well, the list goes on and on. Oh ... and don't forget the hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of ice FEMA stored in Florida last year. Senator Joe Lieberman called it a senseless waste of taxpayer money...no kidding.

And just where is the outrage against the global warming crowd that predicted the record hurricane season? Maybe we should charge them the $40 million for all the food that was thrown out.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:37 pm

Here's another article:

From: http://www.postchronicle.com/news/break ... 4738.shtml
Food Stored By FEMA Spoils
Apr 13, 2007

The officials said as many as 6 million meals stored near potential victims ahead of last hurricane season -- which turned out to be much calmer than in 2005 -- were spoiled when the agency ran out of warehouse and refrigeration space, The Washington Post reported Friday.

FEMA officials said the meals, commercial versions of the military's Meals Ready to Eat and designed to withstand desert and jungle climates, are being scavenged for still-edible portions and the rest discarded. The ruined meals are estimated to have been worth more than $40 million.

"We were so concerned over the failure of Katrina that we... probably bought more commodities and had on hand more than what otherwise might be the most prudent business choice," Coast Guard Vice Adm. Harvey Johnson, deputy director of FEMA, said to the Post. "Given the pressure to perform ... we didn't want to run any chance of running out."

Nawt

Origin of the MRE's

Post by Nawt » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:51 pm

Wow, that's imprseeive. It had me wondering for a long time as well.

good post :wink:

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:58 pm

I just did the math - this more or less breaks down to 500,000 cases of MREs. Ouch.

rjmeylan
inactive

civilians

Post by rjmeylan » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:37 pm

Let's not go nuts here. We're talking about military MRE's. What they're talking about are civilian MRE's. It's still a criminal waste of taxpayer's (that's most of us) money.
One man's meat is another man's poisson.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:47 pm

No...let's go nuts. :-)

Seriously, though, If FEMA has them, then I'm pretty sure those are the same MREs that the military uses. That's what they handed out after Katrina and I think it'd be odd if they were to come up with a special FEMA-MRE or if they were to just stock up on Sopakco Sure-Paks. Sure, they could do it, but the economics of it make it easier to just use the military version.

DangerousDave

Good intel, Kman

Post by DangerousDave » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:42 pm

I want to know why the Feds have'nt busted Cajunangel-63, with all her/it's garbage. She/It continually have positive feedbacks on Ebay for cases, but you never see any bids, unless theres that many people making side deals??? She/it still indicates shipping by USPS, which is against USPS Regs. Read the latest spill from cajunangel-63. What a bunch of crap. :idea: I was thinking about contacting Ebay and the USPS Inspectors at the same time and see what happens.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:55 pm

I'd be interested in hearing what her story is, too. She's been on eBay selling MREs since *forever* and seems to have an endless supply.

But I'd recommend holding off on sicking any Inspectors or eBay on her - there's too much of that stuff on eBay already. Just last week, I contacted a seller with some questions about the cases he was selling. We started talking about a side deal but things fell through so I just said "oh well" and moved on. Then a couple of days later, the guy blasted me in email saying someone complained to eBay about his MRE auctions and they got cancelled. He thought it was me because our deal fell through. We got things smoothed over but the whole incident just highlited to me how vicious eBay business can be. I'm guessing it was another seller who ratted him out to eBay...even though there wasn't anything wrong with his auctions.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:09 pm

Good point, Kman. Watch out for the weather. PS, I hate BS Ebay sellers. I think Ebay is excellent for overall indiv. people auctioning items online, but the higher ups allowed the BS in, so now we real people have to really differentiate between the BS and the real. 8)

Nawt

Post by Nawt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:26 am

Sorry guy's I'm missing some slang here, what does 'BS' mean?

Nawt