MRE Perfume?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
RECNEF
eBay name: capepoke

MRE Perfume?

Postby RECNEF » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:38 pm

G'day G'day!

Have any of you ever had this experience:

I opened a Menu 20 Pork Sausage and Cream Gravy a few minutes ago and a wave of what is without doubt perfume hit me in the face. The only conclusion that I can come to is that whoever packed this MRE was female - or a guy with some pretty hinky cologne.

Have any of you ever experienced that???

Cheers!

Chris

elandil

Re: MRE Perfume?

Postby elandil » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:40 pm

no, but I have not opened my Menu 20 yet....I'll keep a nose out when I do, see if anything comes out.
Tried- Brit 24hr, FSR, MCW, IMP, EPA II, RCIR, Spanish IMP/lunch, Norwegian Arctic Ration, Brown Bag Corned Beef Hash MRE

facebook http://www.facebook.com/ElandilMRE

youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/ElandilMRE

Nighthawk1097
eBay name: Nighthawk1097

Postby Nighthawk1097 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:42 pm

I bet it was just that pork sausage and cream gravy. She was trying to get your attention. :wink:

Everyone been saying the sausage and gravy is great, and I for one always thought it sounded pretty gross; but now I feel like I need to buy the ones at my local army navy and give it a try.
Keep calm and knead peanut butter
https://www.youtube.com/user/1997Nighthawk

DonJa

Postby DonJa » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Nighthawk1097 wrote:I bet it was just that pork sausage and cream gravy. She was trying to get your attention. :wink:

Everyone been saying the sausage and gravy is great, and I for one always thought it sounded pretty gross; but now I feel like I need to buy the ones at my local army navy and give it a try.

Get ready to be underwhelmed.

SentientTootsieRoll

Postby SentientTootsieRoll » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:20 pm

I have. It was a 1996 Chicken and Rice MRE I reviewed on this forum!
At the time, I didn't think it was worth mentioning but I also noticed a strong perfume odor upon opening it. I really do wonder where the smell came from. I began hypothesizing and came to the conclusion that it was probably stored in a house where perfume was commonplace so it eventually picked that smell up over the years. Your conclusion isn't one I had drawn, but now I'm beginning to wonder if that's the cause behind it. Maybe the same person packed it! Very strange indeed.

RECNEF

Postby RECNEF » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:43 pm

Everyone been saying the sausage and gravy is great

I don't know that I would necessarily say that they are great... They're good - and when you think about it they were the last real breakfast menu other than the hashbrowns.

My son and I like them but there is a trick to eating them: they MUST be eaten quickly and while hot.

If you allow them to cool - even a little bit - they start to turn all gelatinous which I suspect is the starch in the gravy completing a chemical change it has been wanting to do since 2 months after it was cooked and packed in there...

But yeah eat them fast and hot and you will probably like them as much as we do!

Cheers!

Chris

RECNEF

Postby RECNEF » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:46 pm

I have. It was a 1996 Chicken and Rice MRE I reviewed on this forum!
At the time, I didn't think it was worth mentioning but I also noticed a strong perfume odor upon opening it. I really do wonder where the smell came from. I began hypothesizing and came to the conclusion that it was probably stored in a house where perfume was commonplace so it eventually picked that smell up over the years. Your conclusion isn't one I had drawn, but now I'm beginning to wonder if that's the cause behind it. Maybe the same person packed it! Very strange indeed.

I mentioned it to my son this afternoon and he told me that no, the smell I smelled did not come from INSIDE the bag, it came from the bag itself. Apparently all five of the MREs he just bought online arrived smelling like that - he says he's keeping those bags separate from our supply because of that.

Mystery solved it seems.

Cheers!

Chris

Asger

Postby Asger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:36 pm

RECNEF wrote:Have any of you ever experienced that???

Yes it happens sometimes when you open Russian rations you can smell the girl parfume. Then I imagine someone looking like Elizaveta Boyarskaya packing IRP's.
*** FaceBooK *** YouTubE ***

Return to “MREs”