Datrex Emergency Rations

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
JT1991

Datrex Emergency Rations

Postby JT1991 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Hey everyone,

Just bought this for $8.50 at my local sporting goods store. A vacuum pack of Datrex Multi Purpose Emergency Rations. 18 bars, 3600 calories. Good for 5 years and I'm sure even longer if stored properly.

Have any of you had these or something similar?
Take care all.

- JT1991
Attachments
IMG_20170923_143742069.jpg
IMG_20170923_143757164.jpg
"RCI. Taste History"

elandil

Re: Datrex Emergency Rations

Postby elandil » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Yes. I keep the datrex bars in both vehicles, and in my camping gear. They are about like a thick cookie, crumbles real easy, strong hints of coconut.

Tastewise I actually prefer the lemony flavor of the Mainstay bars, but the individual wrapping of the datrex bars tends to keep them the winner.

I will also use them to boist MRE desserts....added crumbled to spiced apples makes it like an apple cobbler, and gives an interesting texture and boost of flavor to the applesauces.
Tried- Brit 24hr, FSR, MCW, IMP, EPA II, RCIR, Spanish IMP/lunch, Norwegian Arctic Ration, Brown Bag Corned Beef Hash MRE

facebook http://www.facebook.com/ElandilMRE

youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/ElandilMRE

JT1991

Postby JT1991 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:02 pm

elandil wrote:Yes. I keep the datrex bars in both vehicles, and in my camping gear. They are about like a thick cookie, crumbles real easy, strong hints of coconut.

Tastewise I actually prefer the lemony flavor of the Mainstay bars, but the individual wrapping of the datrex bars tends to keep them the winner.

I will also use them to boist MRE desserts....added crumbled to spiced apples makes it like an apple cobbler, and gives an interesting texture and boost of flavor to the applesauces.

Nice! I've heard good things about the lemon flavored ones. I'll have to get some of those. Thanks for the reply. Take care.
"RCI. Taste History"

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Postby parafireboy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:39 pm

I've used those for years now in the survival kit in my truck. I like that they are packaged well, have a long shelf life, and are impervious to freezing (something that happens occasionally here in Montana :wink: ). They taste pretty good, though they are calorie-dense (as they are designed to be), so you want to be careful not to eat them like cookies, haha.

shawker71
eBay name: hawkermb

Postby shawker71 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:54 pm

I have had the Datrex but keep a supply of the UST brand that are Apple Cinammon
The first to bring you the MRE pizza stone.

Return to “MREs”