Feb 2015 MRE's from AMAZON

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Lt_Scout
eBay name: Lt_scout

Feb 2015 MRE's from AMAZON

Postby Lt_Scout » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Hey guys, I recently bought some MRE's and took them on a hiking trip. Kids loved them! They were charged up from watching Steve's Youtube channel... Anyhow, I bought a box A of MRE's from AMAZON (warfighter Approved) MRE's with a Feb 2015 date.

Of course I don't know the temps this box has been stored at. I'm coming up on 3 years for this box of MRE's. What do you think, safe :?:

Of course I will use common sense before I dig in, smell and look ok? taste ok? I just don't want me or anyone with me to get sick. :oops: I think I'll order from Meal kit supply from this point forward to be sure my MRE's are ok.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!
Bryan

Conrad
eBay name: ConradsAutoParts

Re: Feb 2015 MRE's from AMAZON

Postby Conrad » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:20 pm

They're nowhere near old for current/ current-ish MREs .
Extremely likely to be fine.
They're probably still within or close to their inspection date aren't they?
I wouldn't be worried about it. Just look at the stuff some of the intrepid big time reviewers like Steve, gundog, rcgusto. Stickyfingaz etc etc have eaten and been fine.

SentientTootsieRoll

Postby SentientTootsieRoll » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:45 pm

I can 99.99% guarantee that those MREs will be fine. If they are older than say, 5 years I find that's when you'll notice certain components have deteriorated over time, but likely still edible. I wouldn't order Meal Kit Supply or any other civilian brands of MREs because usually, they have less food, less assortment of components and are often overpriced compared to US Military MREs. The only pro I can think of is that they would be completely fresh in the sense that they're likely brand new but not enough to justify the cost IMO.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Postby parafireboy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:54 pm

Yep, as the others here have already said, they should be perfectly fine. I routinely eat MREs that are five years-old, and have never had issues. I've had ten year-old ones that were perfectly fine as well. The quality/texture/taste may diminish over time, but they should still be safe unless you see obvious signs of compromised packaging or spoilage, such as swollen pouches. That's why the military ones don't have an "expiration" date, just an inspection date three years after production to make sure they have been stored in reasonably stable conditions and are still good until the next inspection.

I'd eat them with confidence.

Lt_Scout
eBay name: Lt_scout

Postby Lt_Scout » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Ok, that's good news, I'm glad I asked. Thanks for that vote of confidence guys!

Return to “MREs”