Different LRP's

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Ace Ducey77

Different LRP's

Postby Ace Ducey77 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:57 pm

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, I just joined a few weeks ago. When i was a boy scout we used to do Survival Camps, bare essentials. No tent, no sleeping bag, just some clothes, some rope, some tarps, and go ole MRE's from our local Surplus store. I loved those brown bagged babies! Every once in a while they'd have some marked Food Packet Long Range Patrol, these were special to us. Only a special few of us got the LRP's. Anyway, this weekend im out camping, and look what i brought just for grins: green bag LRP, maybe I'll dig into this later. Anyone know how old these green plastic bag ones are? No markings anywhere on outer bag, just what you see on the front. FOOD PACKET LONG RANGE PATROL Spagehetti With Meat Sauce Menu No.3

wats6831
eBay name: MREmountain

Re: Different LRP's

Postby wats6831 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:04 am

Ace Ducey77 wrote:Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, I just joined a few weeks ago. When i was a boy scout we used to do Survival Camps, bare essentials. No tent, no sleeping bag, just some clothes, some rope, some tarps, and go ole MRE's from our local Surplus store. I loved those brown bagged babies! Every once in a while they'd have some marked Food Packet Long Range Patrol, these were special to us. Only a special few of us got the LRP's. Anyway, this weekend im out camping, and look what i brought just for grins: green bag LRP, maybe I'll dig into this later. Anyone know how old these green plastic bag ones are? No markings anywhere on outer bag, just what you see on the front. FOOD PACKET LONG RANGE PATROL Spagehetti With Meat Sauce Menu No.3

I think they are late 70s early 80s. I have a few

Ace Ducey77

Postby Ace Ducey77 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:46 pm

I finally got on my laptop to enter this forum, much easier to post pics this was, duh... :roll:
Anywho, I don't really see the green ones that look like this, all I ever see have much more wording on the outside.
Attachments
IMG_2461b.jpg

steve1989
eBay name: :D

Postby steve1989 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 pm

I always thought those were around 1972-75. I was wrong for years. Noone ever opened one for reference.

But I just did a review of one (video coming out soon) and confirmed it is not a 1972-75. It is actually a 1978-81.

Here are some various pictures to pinpoint the data.
Attachments
6.jpg
This LRP is 1978-81
007766.jpg
005007.jpg
1979 - far right is your style pouch. Note on left, prototype MRE pack.
003988a.jpg
1976-77
8.jpg
The main and the matches are the dead giveaway.
Matches used to have the striker on the text face. Then it was switched to striker on non-text back like these which was in 78 or 79.
The main course conventional pouch. It is slightly more modern than the early 70s-77 version (1977 Seal Bag Co repeating text is actually older than this one - and that always had me fooled)
What is the oldest thing you've ever eaten?

DangerousDave

Postby DangerousDave » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:16 pm

Current LRRP rats look like this. From 2013 packed case.[attachment=0]Fresh LRRP.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
Fresh LRRP.jpg
After the Chicken and the Egg, came the "Omelet"!

Ace Ducey77

Postby Ace Ducey77 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:08 pm

steve1989 wrote:I always thought those were around 1972-75. I was wrong for years. Noone ever opened one for reference.

But I just did a review of one (video coming out soon) and confirmed it is not a 1972-75. It is actually a 1978-81.

Here are some various pictures to pinpoint the data.

Thanks for the explaination! I look forward to watching the video review, I think I've seen all your vids, they motivate me to collect some of these items because now i know what exactly is in them!

Return to “MREs”