Ever gotten sick from an MRE?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Simon2002mre
eBay name: simocros17

Ever gotten sick from an MRE?

Postby Simon2002mre » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:30 am

How common is it to get sick from a Ration? Any horror stories to share? :P :lol:
Killed by rancid pound-cake. I know that will be on my tomb stone.

cavguy

Re: Ever gotten sick from an MRE?

Postby cavguy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:57 am

I would say not very common... Personally I don't have any horror stories but, I know Steve has had a few run-ins with bad ration food, as well as two or three others on the forum. Do a search and you should be able to find the forum threads.

If you are worried about getting sick just be sure to use your senses when sampling food. I believe that the majority of the times your bodies senses (taste, sight, touch, smell) will tell you quick when something is rancid or gone bad. If its questionable just throw it out.

Treesuit

Postby Treesuit » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:22 pm

I have one. Got violently sick back in 1994 from a brown bag Chicken and Rice meal. Looked an smelled fine but later in the day I was throwing up pretty bad. Not sure what went wrong but I was pretty hungry at the time, so I ate it. To this day I still have a little apprehension on Chicken and Rice.

DangerousDave

Postby DangerousDave » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Nope, but they had a temporary halt, on MRE brown-bag issue in field, in Germany, 1986-87, because Sopacko had a bunch of Beef Stew menu's main entree was not properly sealed. Beef stew leaked inside a sealed brown bag equals a really puffed up bag, about to explode. I saw one, at Hohenfels. We got 3 hot's in field for awhile. :idea:
After the Chicken and the Egg, came the "Omelet"!

Return to “MREs”