Customs Horror Stories Pertaining to Destroying Rations

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
steve1989
eBay name: :D

Customs Horror Stories Pertaining to Destroying Rations

Postby steve1989 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:35 am

I have lost packages over the years - some were rare relics/ration treasures.

One time, I sent a 21 pound package to MREheater72 March 2014 and it was filled with things I collected for him for over a year.... only to get stolen/destroyed in Miami Customs with absolutely no answer or resolve. :(

But yesterday, I got a package in the mail and it was a rare survival ration - OPENED by customs. I hope the jerks had fun using the key.. I know, being angry doesn't solve a thing.. but they completely destroyed it. And they even opened the Digestive Biscuits that were included.. my question is... WHY!? :|

Customs is one of the #1 leading causes of needless/senseless ration destruction - historical terrorists. Opened off-camera and never to really be shared with anyone - a self-indulgent curiosity to a lone customs enforcer who is what... looking for drugs or contraband? Meat? Dairy? Why couldn't they translate it? It was just biscuits!

So my question now is, are there any folks here with similar stories? Any other customs horror stories and potential lessons to be learned on how to wrap/protect our packages and proper terminology for the customs form?

I felt this was a noteworthy subject to potentially strike up some relevant conversation and potentially share our thoughts/wisdom on this matter. Thank you for reading. :)
Attachments
destroyed1.jpg
destroyed.jpg
What is the oldest thing you've ever eaten?

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Re: Customs Horror Stories Pertaining to Destroying Rations

Postby BTemple » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:45 am

Steve, you know my hatred of Customs, especially Canada Customs. I've only had two bad experiences with them but they pretty well ruined both packages to the point where the ration wouldn't be useful to be reviewed.
When you see that different packing tape it fills you with dread. And I don't know if US Customs does this, but Canada Customs charges you a duty for every item they confiscate and destroy. So when the mail carrier shows up you have to pay them that amount before you can get the package.

I have heard some horror stories about German customs as well!
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

steve1989
eBay name: :D

Postby steve1989 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:36 am

You know, this one I am expecting to pay a $25 fee for customs - the last one was a British ORP and they removed the beef main. Charged me $25. If I am lucky, I can contest this one if they go after me because first off, there was no meat/dairy. Second, they destroyed a 56 year old historical relic. :(
What is the oldest thing you've ever eaten?

housil

Postby housil » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:42 am

steve1989 wrote:Customs is one of the #1 leading causes of needless/senseless ration destruction - historical terrorists. Opened off-camera and never to really be shared with anyone - a self-indulgent curiosity to a lone customs enforcer who is what... looking for drugs or contraband? Meat? Dairy? Why couldn't they translate it? It was just biscuits!

Since I´m watching these "border control" shows, I know not "why", but how they molest our parcels with no sorry.

Mpitt

Postby Mpitt » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:16 am

I was thinking the issue may be that the items have a "military" appearance and become suspect regardless of exterior labeling. However this does not explain the biscuits. That was straight up an act of savagery.

Protecting our nation's security....one biscuit at a time.

Mpitt

Postby Mpitt » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:39 am

For those with experience in shipments of these ration based-packages, what is the frequency that customs "cracks in" to a package?

Trying international rations seems to be one of the greatly enjoyable aspects of this hobby and this problem seems to be rather horrifying, especially with regards to not only international, expensive items but also historical, irreplaceable items.

Return to “MREs”